• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

was considering taking mine off....is IFS drivable without front swaybar?

Yes. You will notice it gone when at speed on bumpy gravel roads. Mine was off of my old 4Runner for a full year, and that was the ONLY time I noticed anything different. And even then it was minimal. Keep in mind, chances are you may need to put it back in for MVI though, so don't toss it and the bolts and such away ;).

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and No. Depends on what you've done with it. There is a lot of debate about articulation with the front SB removed on IFS. I had mine off and noticed very little (if any) off-road performance gains. On road, the same. On road while towing, I noticed a lot of front end push while towing so I re-installed it.

I also have aftermarket coil overs with an increased spring weight (600lbs vs. stock @ 450lbs) and when towing 3500lbs the front would push without the sway bar.

I cannot tell you what difference it make when you're stock as I have nothing to base it on; I upgraded to Radflo c/o's in less than a year. Best advise I can give you is to remove the lower link from the front control arms, swing the SB out of the way and go for a drive. If you don't like it, re-attach the link. If you don't notice a difference, remove the SB.

Jay I like the card trick you did, might have to do mine now :) Today I cleaned my rig, re-mounted all antennas to my crossbar, mounted my club radio (yes I found a spot), wired and tested it, extended one antenna, re-located my license plate (Mr. Police officer......uhhhh strongly suggested I do so lol. When in reverse my light is to bright and he could not see my plate). Spent time hunting down a new "clunk" noise when turning and checked my CAT and suspect the honeycomb structure inside is FUBAR. Oh also researched new brake pads haha.

Was driving home from a repair, life is good .Hit he skinny pedal went from 70kph to 110 kph take foot off pedal turn into corner #$$%^^&*)(&###$%^&&%$##%$^&&** steering is stiff almost can't turn the wheel .Drive home using two hands to steer park it get out slam the door, kick dirt ,yell and curse, walk away. The next night ckeck the power steering pump lots of fluid take off the return line start the engine it is pumping %^&@@%&^(*((*&^$@%^**&^&&^&& now what .Start looking for a spare pump just to check to see pump died .After a hour give up for the night.Tonight start looking again I KNOW I HAVE A SPARE PUMP WHERE ARE YOU LITTLE ROTTEN &&^%$#$%$#@@#$%^&*()(*&^&%%##$$#@#@ sit down and think. THEN IT HITS ME look in the corner and guess what is bolted to the front of a spare engine mocking me the $&^%^%$$#$^&&%%%$#@#^%&^^&^&%&^$#@$@^$%%*(((*^$@@#%$!!!!!!!#$$^&^&*&^&&&&*&& pump . Remove spare pump remove bad pump install good pump power steering is back. Short version jeep broke now jeep fix :mad: :oops: :brain-fart: :twak: :very_frustrated: :banhammer: :censored:

Blew my engine today

did it like it .....????? :smiley-music037:

sorry tom i hadda say it !!!..... :smiley-laughing021:

well guys i almost tossed in the towell the other night ..... :smiley-gen164: :smiley-gen164: ......had a busted pinion .....3 broken teeth on my crown gear .......find gears 3 days searching ...found last set .....went to clean up my axel shafts found a cracked birfield joint ... :very_frustrated: ......walked away from that to start grinding down the front housing ,......$#$%%^^ grinder blows up ....... :deadhorse: :censored: :fuk: ......what will happen next ,glad iv got 2 weeks left ......ohhh BTW anyone know where i could get a short side sammi fr axel shaft ????

Archived