• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday night worked on the ATV. My bro moslty uses it for SaR. The fact that my bro let's me use the garage for my truck about 10 months of the year once in a while I have to work on stuff that we both use and sometimes just his stuff! (He works on mine as well. He is the machinist and welder.)

We tend to drive the ATV really hard with no maintenance until it stops dead in it's tracks or just falls over. There is a bad front wheel bearing (sort of falling over), and the back wheels don't want to move without a good push (dead in their tracks!)

The rear brake (no differential so brake only on one side) was stuck on. The combination of 'return' springs were no match for the aluminum corrosion and dirt built up on all the pivot points. Took an hour and half to get everything loosened up and disassembled.

The parts sitting on the rim.

post-247-0-62705300-1414164836_thumb.jpg

The axle and backing plate.

post-247-0-79289800-1414164837_thumb.jpg

iPhone 4 cameras are poor in some light.

If parts were hard to come by I could just clean and lubricate it all up, but I'll probably throw fresh seals in everything.

Not my X, but for the Corolla I got pocket book lucky this week. Corolla exhaust f'd off in multiple places including a leak on the primary Cat. $700 at NAPA, $400 from Rock Auto (all in) and $150 from Kijiji ;) .

post-429-0-55571100-1414184925_thumb.jpg

A guy in Bridgewater has a posting about parting out an 05. After several emails, I send the $$, he shipped the part (MBW FTW) to me for an extra $40. Installed today and took the old cats to the local salvage and got $80 in cash. Including the new hardware to mount it ($35), I spent $145...after rebate...and it came with a an extra O2 sensor that someone wants for $20 (sale pending).

I also unloaded 2 tons of used bricks on Kijiji (they were free) and saved over $200 there in not having to take them to the dump. As good things come in 3's, I bought a rare lotto ticket tonight so if I win, free mod $$ for everyone!

My skid plates are in need of repair again... Derek who made your sliders? I want to ask him if he is up for an urgent fab job...

PM JeepGaragemahal (Scott) here on the board. That's who did Derek's sliders B)

Yep, get a hold of Scott, he'll be able to fix it up for ya.

Sort of. Time is more the issue at the moment. There are a million little things I want to do to the truck to make it more usable, the engine runs so it is not a priority. I've always felt I'd just drop in a GM Crate motor if/when the time comes. The 290hp crate motor is relatively cheap, and probably twice the horsepower of my factory motor when new. I'd be lucky to have 100 hp now, and probably 80 or less at the wheels! lol But it runs fine! I need someone to tell me why I need signficantly more horspower like a big block, but a bit more would certainly be nice!

And the time to switch to a different style motor is not somthing I want to do. From motor mounts, to EFI conversion, to transmissions / crossmembers / driveshaft lengths. A Generation 1 SBC swap is quick, cheap and easy!

no point in having that much power anyways. plus the price tag of 11000$ plus tax and shipping is just retarded. you could pay someone to swap an LS3 for you in it for a lot less than that. i approve Eugene in wanting a crate 350 : lightweight, powerful enough, tons of parts + they are cheap and ease of maintenance. its all about gearing unless you want a mud slayer with 44s.

what about when manifolds crack and you have no clearance :P

true, i wish i had a v8 or a turbo diesel inline 6.

i m thinking about getting a landcruiser in the future and leave my fj like that. i could have a more serious wheeler with front solid axle and front and rear lockers. plus its easier to put big tires on it

There is always dreaming! I would consider a Cummins swap before a 502 Crate big block. Cheaper! And the BB came with carb and everything! But in either case I'd have to build a HD transmission, T-Case, new driveshafts, etc etc. For my driving and $ TODAY, a SBC crate would be the choice.

Back on topic almost: Bought seals for the rear brake on the ATV today.

Pounded out a smashed bumper, considering trying some plastic weld on it. Did a rescue Saturday night in the Villa Rd, two folks stuck in a ram 2500, hung up on plow gear. Not really wheelers, just some folks back in the woods without knowing what they were doing.

Took about 4-5 bumps to get him unstuck, and he went into panic mode and forgot to get off the gas. Backed right into the front of the Jeep, hit pretty hard. My bumper ate some damage, but the best part was his rear bumper got hooked on my recovery hook on the top of the bumper. With no other way to remove it, and feeling kinda pissed about him smashing into my Jeep I just ended up tearing his bumper off. Forgot to get pics as I was kinda mad at the time.

Archived