• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks....the welds are a bit messy, but heat and penetration was good. Time will tell ;)

Once the winch is on I'm gonna take a look at the old bumper and maybe tidy it up, and make up some brackets to mount it back on in a location that will give better access to the winch spool control..and the winch mount is in the way of the old bumper brackets now.

I'm happy with it so far...but I'm not too worried about how it looks.

What size winch would the H2 need?

We have a Warn 15k #s winch on the SAR F250. It is HEAVY. The front suspension bottoms out a lot easier than before.

(Granted there never was much suspension travel.)

With two lightbars on the roof I've nicknamed it HEAVY RESCUE, aka 'Highway Thru Hell' and Jamie Davis!

I already have the grade 8's....are those better shear strength than 8.8 ?

I'm using 2 x 1/2 x4 inch and 2 x 1/2 x 5 inch

Yes; 8.8 metric is the same as a grade 5 standard bolt. 10.9 metric is the same as grade 8.

She's on...just needs to be juiced up and tested :)

Bring on the Yoda's & James...they are the best test of all ;)

I'd be looking at minimum of 10k, but a 15k would be ideal.

That 8k winch you had worked well too. I know it was under a lot of load, but it pulled Guy from a pretty messy hole a couple years ago. IIRC, he was buried to the frame. I think I have a "forum safe" pic somewhere...

Bigger IS better when it comes to winches, however.

hahah...I LOL'd at that...then realized I'll probably be using the winch on myself the most :)

lol, that's the glass 1/2 empty view; I prefer the glass 1/2 full ;)

Can you take a side shot and post it. I'd like to see what this does to your approach angle. On second thought, do it after the OEM bumper is hacked & mounted...that will give a better point of reference

I've never understood the half full and half empty thing. Maybe I've never seen the 'original'.

I can say (yeah!) the 'Glass is already half full' and sound like an optimist or say (crap!) the 'Glass is only half full' and sound like a pessimist.

I 'doth' think I think too much............. :-)

Fedex delivered my bluepitbearings.com complete bearing and hub assembly today, i have got all the parts for the install and factory service manual and videos but dont have tools and the toyota dealer is booked solid till the 28th, who can help me I will toss ya 60$ or so, should be less than 30 mins job, unbolt and bolt back in.

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

post image online

Fedex delivered my bluepitbearings.com complete bearing and hub assembly today, i have got all the parts for the install and factory service manual and videos but dont have tools and the toyota dealer is booked solid till the 28th, who can help me I will toss ya 60$ or so, should be less than 30 mins job, unbolt and bolt back in.

That is a simple install, but not quite "bolt & unbolt". I'll offer my services for this weekend IF I get my parts & you drive to Truro...yes I realize that you will potentially spend that amount in fuel, but you'll learn how to do it for next time ;). What "tools" are required

to complete the install?

Archived