• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not "one of", it was "the" largest. Also the heaviest vehicle by, I'm willing to bet, a good margin. I'm surprised that the other rigs burned as much as they did and / or the H2 didn't.

Carb vs Fuel Injection and use f the skinny pedal.

Ram5.9 stands out with poor mileage because he tries holes that few others will, and the skinny pedal is at (or close to) the floor in most of these sections.

Slow & steady wins the race (in terms of fuel economy as well), but I have a nice vid of Ram 5.9 in a run-off ditch pushing liquid that was above his front bumper. Not a single other vehicle tried that line on that day. Probably burned a good 2-3 litres on that pass ;)

The other vehicles were a JK, ZJ and the suburban. The H2 did better than both the JK and ZJ I believe. That would be fuel injected motors, one V8 and one V6.

Also we are talking about the Ledwig Rally I do believe.

Did you miss my comment about the skinny pedal? ;)

FWIW, I have friend who owns a 70.5 Z28 (split front bumper). He gets 12 MPG on secondary roads and 6-8 in town. Numbers matching & stock! Average 3-4 at the strip (yeas, he races it hard!) Smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon!

post-429-0-58092600-1411511960_thumb.jpg

Did you miss my comment about the skinny pedal? ;)

FWIW, I have friend who owns a 70.5 Z28 (split front bumper). He gets 12 MPG on secondary roads and 6-8 in town. Numbers matching & stock! Average 3-4 at the strip (yeas, he races it hard!) Smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon!

attachicon.gif10606244_10154510791305487_9048080586828710996_n.jpg

i think its the most pointless comment i ve read all year. who brings their car to a drag strip and doesnt race hard???

i think its the most pointless comment i ve read all year. who brings their car to a drag strip and doesnt race hard???

Read it the other way...who brings a numbers matching 70's car to the strip to use it for what it was built for? Same can be said for a 4WD's built today.

My point "between the lines" was that a 70-80's V8 sucks when it comes to mileage; even in a RWD vehicle.

yeah i know that. a buddy of mine had a 79 aspen r/t with a modified 360. we went for a cruise last year with a bunch of guys. my buddy's brand new camaro ss with bolt ons burned as much fuel as my modified M3 with 3.64 gears instead of 3.23, around 15$ of gas. my buddy with the aspen burned 45$ of gas lol

oh and both the m3 and camaro were a lot faster than the old car. carburators are garbage

Hey, there is nothing 'wrong' with a carbuerator! Yes, with Electronic Fuel Injection (don't forget there used to be mechanical fuel injection) and an Open Loop (?) Ozygen Sensor downstream in the exhaust, you can have great starting, driveability, and low fuel consumption with EFI. But given a constant, like an engine running at a steady air temperature, atmospheric pressure, level(!), etc and a properly jetted carb, I've read, heard on HP TV and I believe, there isn't much or any measurable difference between a FI and a carb.

Lawn mowers, weed whackers, and many many things still use carbs!

I know when my 350 and QuadraJet is warm it starts with just a bump of the key, quicker than many EFI engines. :biggthumpup:

As the pistons go down, the fuel is 'sucked' in from an already full fuel bowl. No gazillion sensors and high pressure fuel pump!

(I'd take a brand new direct injected engine and put it in my truck if it were cost effective! But to pay relatively big bucks to add an aftermarket system to mine? Not worth it.)

Well i agree, cost to much to make mine anow efi, but I will be adding a electric fuel pump next time my fuel pump dies.

Now the good news I pulled my axels out of my truck and they are not broken so now I have a spare set.

And the bad news, with them not being broken it means I will be ordering a center section for my ford 9" and I will have to wait a while to fix that.

I will be ordering http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cur-9al411s

But I will have a rear locker when finished.

Archived