• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

I did my bumpers and plastic with the wing-walk paint today. I did a quick rush job, so it's not too great, but good enough for me for now! :D The stuff dries pretty fast, and ends up clumping on the roller, which leads to clumps on the surface you're doing.

WP_20140509_17_35_04_Pro_zps3c7d3ac8.jpg
WP_20140509_17_34_55_Pro_zps9ae6783e.jpg
WP_20140509_17_34_46_Pro_zps632cbb94.jpg

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok wel maybe I have priorities wrong, I want to get the old girl ready for Jam, should be tearing into the front axle but..being a daily 2nd vehicle and kids in sports I need it, I have to plan the tear downs with as little impact as I can and on my own swapping an axle still take s a bit of time, so I decided to get ready for the Sunshine, Hang up the Hardtop out of the way, and get the soft one on if I don't make jam at least ill be smiling on the sunny days :)

post-661-0-16312000-1399681959_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-59878700-1399681970_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-04218400-1399681983_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-57962500-1399681992_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-44213200-1399682003_thumb.jpg

Yesterday. Cleaned the truck so I can finish prepping for MVI, installing the sliders, and general maintenance. You remember it was covered in mud from the Rally and the spring SAR event.

This is what I scraped off underneath! She has lots of nooks and crannies that fill with chunks of mud. That's a 20 l bucket!

post-247-0-19575000-1399893006_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-52017900-1399893012_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-07395700-1399893019_thumb.jpg

Then pressured washed it underneath and upper body. I'll get a pic of the bent pinion guard!

post-247-0-65720200-1399893025_thumb.jpg

The pinion guard being bent means it did it's job and you still have a rear DS and the pinion intact B)

I've never smashed a rear yoke before but as you say, it saved me! It is thick steel too! In the video you can't tell that the truck stopped short, but it certainly did! I kept looking for marks on the front diff cover and haven't seen any, it was the rear that hit! The 14-bolt being nortoriously big and low!

Measured my rear tires to find out how badly bent my rear housing is. My rear tires have been wearing quite noticeably on the outer edges for a while. So toady, at a family BBQ, I asked my B-I-L, who has worked his whole life at a local collision repair shop if it's possible my rear housing is bent. We measured across the front of the tires and then rotated them a half revolution and measured across the rear of the tires. It was .25" more at the rear than at the front. A crude way to do it, but definitely an eye opener. He said that they could straighten it but it might be just as simple to get another housing. Or his suggestion, just flip my tires on the rims to even up the wear and save my money. :king:

Measured my rear tires to find out how badly bent my rear housing is. My rear tires have been wearing quite noticeably on the outer edges for a while. So toady, at a family BBQ, I asked my B-I-L, who has worked his whole life at a local collision repair shop if it's possible my rear housing is bent. We measured across the front of the tires and then rotated them a half revolution and measured across the rear of the tires. It was .25" more at the rear than at the front. A crude way to do it, but definitely an eye opener. He said that they could straighten it but it might be just as simple to get another housing. Or his suggestion, just flip my tires on the rims to even up the wear and save my money. :king:

Not sure what you measured. But I don't think you can measure rubber accurately. Measure at the rim perhaps? Typically if you bend a housing you bend the ends up, after a jump! Anyway, a new axle/housing is likely readily available versus triying to straighten it. Also I think wheel bearings wear quickly and/or wheel bearing/axle seals can leak prematurely with bent axles. Not to mention if bad enough it's likely to bind in the differential gears! And a difference front to rear of an axle is called toe-in, which is required on a front axle, but probably not so much on the rear!

Well today I buffed out my pin strips got it all prettied up.

I buffed em out because im doing a bit of an experiment with a product that is suppose to protect against scratchs rock dings keys and rings. Doing the experiment on a spare motorcycle gas tank gonna let it cure and do some scratch tests on it. If it does what its suppose to I might of found away to save myself from all the pin strips! Ill let you guys know how it works out incase others are interested.

I buffed em out because im doing a bit of an experiment with a product that is suppose to protect against scratchs rock dings keys and rings. Doing the experiment on a spare motorcycle gas tank gonna let it cure and do some scratch tests on it. If it does what its suppose to I might of found away to save myself from all the pin strips! Ill let you guys know how it works out incase others are interested.

Those pin stripes are a badge of honour.

If successful, Rob Sinclair will be all over that :P !!!

wheels look great Jay!

Eugene, any improvement in the surging after changing the fuel filter?

In case I forgot to post, engine works great after changing the fuel filter! Funny how time goes by,,,,,,,, the tranny fluid and filter were last changed in the cough cough Fall of 2007....

In case I forgot to post, engine works great after changing the fuel filter! Funny how time goes by,,,,,,,, the tranny fluid and filter were last changed in the cough cough Fall of 2007....

Thanks for this post Eugene. It reminded me that I have to change my diff fluids in the very near future. Trans is fine, but I haven't changed the diff's since I bought the X 5+ years ago. Like you...one of those things you may think of from time to time, but doesn't get done :(

As noted elsewhere my brother upgraded to 'Free Spin' hubs on his Dodge diesel last weekend. Here are the axle-shaft U-joint caps, two from each side (the outer axle stub shafts get changed to spin free, of course!) The U-joints were stiff and doing some awful snapping and cracking!

post-247-0-84642700-1400806495_thumb.jpg

Last night I spooled my winch cable in, under load, because it was un-spooled and wrapped around the grille guard since the SAR weekend. And I started upgrading my battery hold downs to avoid this again! It is sitting pretty on the frame rail, not on the battery tray! It also broke one side terminal off. I just used a 'Side terminal conversion kit' to hook my pre-terminated wires to the adapter cable.

I wouldn't recommend this with regular batteries, but these AGMs sure can take a beating!

post-247-0-96559200-1400806567_thumb.jpg

Archived