• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

New Magnaflow muffler & 2 inlet pipes (from cats to muffler) installed today. So much quieter than before as I can actually hear myself think, which may or may not be a good thing at times :P

Now onto the rest of my Spring maintenance...and the list is not short.

This weekend:

Replace 3 u-joints (parts in hand). Will do this weekend, but have to drop 3 of the 5 skids to do it. Fingers crossed when removing 4 year old rusted bolts :censored:

Replace Front & Rear diff oil (this weekend)

On a date in the near future, when all parts arrive:

Replace spherical bearings in the coliovers (parts on order)

Replace driver's side front wheel bearing assembly (part on order)

Replace front sway bar bushings (parts in hand but will install with the above)

Replace front driver's axle (threads stripped so the stub was cut. The nut was welded to the shaft to keep it in place. Have to cut to install the new hub)

Install 1" lift spacers on top of coilovers (in box since last year)

Later in the summer, during vaca likely:

Install 2" body lift (in box since last year)

Build sliders

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The H2 is conspiring against me - broke down on the way home this evening in Burnside, in rush hour, just outside the Ford dealership.

I believe one of the fittings we used on the new sending unit failed. Engine suddenly died and when trying to crank over / prime pump it just sprayed fuel everywhere - go go magic flat deck.

Looks like I'm ordering a whole new fuel line for the top of the tank... it's all slithered around the top of the tank from the sending unit to the front of the tank where it connects to the standard fuel line going down the rail. *sigh*

I've several projects unfinished on the Suburban but I usually don't post them until I finish them and have pics, so I don't get slammed on the board here! lol

Last night I fnished fitting and painting my new Borgeson steering shaft (hanging and drying now), and worked on the new battery hold down brackets some more. And the utility trailer I was supposed to finish last weekend but there was the BIG search. I started the trailer the weekend before and got interrupted by an overnight search. Then had to wash the ATV the next day. I also worked on these things two nights ago! Also last fall I installed new body mounts that aren't quite finished so I haven't posted those pics yet either! Sheesh!

i worked on my skid plates yesterday and today for a couple hours. i m waiting to receive the bolts from toyota wednesday to finish the front ones. it's even gonna protect my rad and coolant hoses. i forgot my camera and probably will only post pics when they're completed. as soon as the front end is done, i m cutting my body mounts to fit 285-75-17 toyo open country MT and then will build rear diff guard, lower control arm guard, etc. my breather kit is installed but i have to fab a bracket to finalize it.

i want to show the work when completed, i ran out of flux core wire today, i will get a tank next week and switch to a gas setup. im not really the type of guy who takes a bunch of pics while doing stuff.

I didn't bother with pictures of doing the latest boost on my Jeep, just the results B) . It's already been done twice in my thread, no need of progress on the third time. It would be different if I was doing something major, like a long arm upgrade or something...

Started the X maintenance. Removed 2 of 3 skids. Sheared 6 of 8 nut/bolt points and 2 bolts that go into OEM retaining nuts. The latter 2 will have to be drilled & tapped, but the others can be replaced at a hardware store. Tomorrow will be the last skid removal & then to remove the front drive shaft. I tried a couple plans today to remove the front most diff/shaft connection, but I'm going to need a crowfoot socket to get to the nut. Thank-you Nissan for placing a cross-member directly under this flange (FML). The working area is extremely tight in this area.

I've planned/mapped this to be able to drive it while completing the long list, but I won't be on a trail for at least 3 weeks.

Started the X maintenance. Removed 2 of 3 skids. Sheared 6 of 8 nut/bolt points and 2 bolts that go into OEM retaining nuts. The latter 2 will have to be drilled & tapped, but the others can be replaced at a hardware store. Tomorrow will be the last skid removal & then to remove the front drive shaft. I tried a couple plans today to remove the front most diff/shaft connection, but I'm going to need a crowfoot socket to get to the nut. Thank-you Nissan for placing a cross-member directly under this flange (FML). The working area is extremely tight in this area.

I've planned/mapped this to be able to drive it while completing the long list, but I won't be on a trail for at least 3 weeks.

I went through something similar with my skids recently except one of the welded nuts up inside the crossmember broke off, now I have a terrible clunk over bumps :( lol

Changed the front & rear diff oil (man Royal Purple is $$) Front oil looked great, the rear was black. Nothing of concern on the drain magnets though.

Removed the front drive shaft (man those nuts were tight) & replaced the u-joints. The old ones came out fairly easily and I only had to re-align the needles on 1 new cap during the install. The old ones were not in the best of shape (as you can see) and were the cause of my vibrations.

post-429-0-10926600-1402688864_thumb.jpg

post-429-0-79824100-1402688865_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow, rain or not, the front drive shaft is going back on & the rear is coming off to replace the joint as well. Also going to drill & tap the 2 OEM mounts for the skids when the bolts sheared. Then the waiting game until the rest of the parts come in (hub bearing, coilover bearings); fingers-crossed for next weekend. I wasn't going to paint the skids again, but if all the parts are not in next weekend, I likely will hit them with a rattle can of some brand ;)

Does my daily driver count as my rig? It is AWD with a 4WD lockout!

Last Sunday(?) I had to paint the driver's seat front legs on my Rogue for the second time. The first time both front seats were done under warranty. Remember, this vehicle still has less than 100k on it!

post-247-0-15603000-1402761394_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-17781700-1402761400_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-33599300-1402761407_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-44477400-1402761412_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-52277300-1402761420_thumb.jpg

More to follow

post-247-0-14812300-1402761571_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-78446900-1402761576_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-26748900-1402761582_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-68339000-1402761587_thumb.jpg

Okay, the real 4X4 rig. Decided to upgrade the steering shaft on my 30 yr old rig! Steering and brakes are more important than HP and Tires, right? Borgeson steering shaft with needle bearing U-joints, not rag joints. This was over the last couple weekends.

post-247-0-20745500-1402761914_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-12281000-1402761920_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-35728800-1402761941_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-84591600-1402761948_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-51747600-1402761954_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-68242200-1402761960_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-82033200-1402761966_thumb.jpgpost-247-0-79518100-1402761972_thumb.jpg

After the driver's side battery jumping out of the tray twice over the past 10 years, time to bolt it down more securely. To be fair, that auxiliary tray was designed for dual battery diesels and it probably wasn't the correct size for my battery. No matter, it is fixed properly this time! And parts we had kicking around. I also did the passenger side main battery, bit of preventive measures.

post-247-0-84120000-1402762577_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-01698300-1402762585_thumb.jpg

Archived