• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replaced the belt tensioner, idler pulley, clutch fan & installed a new belt. The Xterra has never been so quite; though now I can hear a constant whine from the alternator.

The whine is expected given it hasn't failed yet as it's the lowest point on the front of the engine and has been submersed more than once in the past 5 years.

Got around to painting my bonnet....yes even I think bonnet sounds Amish-weird

....I've wanted to paint it since I got the Xterra.

Also painted my hub covers as they were looking pretty nasty next to my fresh Hardbody wheels ;)

2014-05-05+07-42-06-629.jpg

p

Copycat ;) !

Looks good B)!

Got the new axle joint, wheel bearing and brake caliper all in & changed out the pads. Go out for a little test ride and off the gas and she pulls right, hit the brake and pulls left :facepalm: . Get back into the garage, jack it up and turn the passenger wheel... FAIL!! It turned, but with ALOT of effort :( . Back to the parts place for another caliper :mad: ...

Rear driveshaft cut and in, I think google made me cut it a little short will have to do some flex trials and see, find someone with a lift or ramp to stretch it out a little....but the new 373 axle is working good, big difference than the 307, the 3 sod auto paired with 373 on 32's is actually not all that bad...Next project, attack the front end, driveshaft, and axle swap get the matching front in.

I also plasti-dipped my grill tonight. I'm going to re-do my bumper too, but I think I'll use Wing-walk paint instead. Plasti-dip is too expensive to do the bumper, and the Wing-walk was free! :D

temporary_zps53682874.jpg

In case you're wondering, the black part is Wing-walk paint.
IMG_20120421_143343_zps8fd5ef7d.jpg

I've had a water leak dripping from the A pillar, and once even from the dome lights, since a trail run in November. Based on all the info I could find, it is a common issue with WKs. Mud blocks the drainage tubes that run from the sunroof, down the A pillars and out through the floor. I followed all the steps and couldn't find any blockage. So today, I took it to Peck's to see if it might be the windshield seal.

post-690-0-03790300-1399505833_thumb.jpg

The floor on the driver's side has started to rust so out came the carpet (it's a one piece setup) post-690-0-86710800-1399505962_thumb.jpg

and the seats.

post-690-0-55745100-1399505849_thumb.jpg

Down came the headliner thinking that a mouse could have built a nest up there.One chewed my seatbelt and owner's manual and ate a hole the size of a toonie in one of my leather seats before I got it.

post-690-0-15128200-1399505853_thumb.jpg

Under the backseat was what looked like inverters and amps.

No leaks found, and now it goes back in tomorrow for water tests, and fix up my floor.

I also plasti-dipped my grill tonight. I'm going to re-do my bumper too, but I think I'll use Wing-walk paint instead. Plasti-dip is too expensive to do the bumper, and the Wing-walk was free! :D

In case you're wondering, the black part is Wing-walk paint.

Where'd you buy that from...is it aerosol? The Krylon version of that isn't available any more and I liked it on my X

Where'd you buy that from...is it aerosol? The Krylon version of that isn't available any more and I liked it on my X

The Plasti-dip? I got that at Home Depot down in the States, and it's aerosol.

The Wing-walk is expired product from my work. Still completely fine, just no longer approved to be applied to an aircraft. That needs to be brushed or rolled on.

If it's the Wing-walk you want Jay, I can give you a can.

I "obtained" some wing walk a couple years back from my father in-law before he retired from the Navy. We used it on a friend's boat to make the surface non-slip. It worked really well is still likely holding up as the better coating on his Boston Whaler!

It bonds really, really well to a scuffed gel coat over fiberglass. I wonder how well it would bond to prepped plastic?

The sponsons are made of some sort of composite, so it should bond well to plastic too I would think. I did a test spot on the lower section of my front bumper that you can't see, so I'll jab at it with a screw driver to see how it holds up.

Are you going on the club run Saturday Jay? If you are, I'll bring a can with me.

Here are a couple of pics of the plastic table I was using as a stand. I tried it out on this first just to see how it rolled. This is one of those fold up tables that's made out of shiny plastic.

temporary_zps7c063511.jpg
The white part showing was using a bit of force with the screwdriver, and it's also not even 24hrs cured yet. All the whitish scuffs to the right of that are from scrapping the screwdriver back and forth against it. I think it should hold up pretty well, especially if you give the plastic a quick scuff with a scotch bright pad, or sandpaper.
temporary_zpsb02a8d6c.jpg

I preparation for tomorrows club outing I dug out an old Acer A110 tablet with a cracked screen that's been sat in a drawer for months.

I've setup my Samsung S3 as a Wifi hotspot and connected the tablet to it so it has internet access for map tiles.

I'll be using Canada Topo Maps Pro tomorrow, which is ultra fast and has awesome multi-layer maps, tracking and waypoints etc (there's a free version too)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.camaps

2014-05-09+05-10-01-790.jpg

2014-05-09+05-18-50-015.jpg

Archived