• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a funeral Wednesday morning I took the afternoon off to do a few things. I used up all of our brake cleaner and primer on one rail, and used up all of our Rust Converter / primer on the other rail. Now ready for final fitment and paint!

When I test fitted the one on the 'other side of the truck' than what I designed them on, I realized I'll have to remove the park brake cable during installation.

And I already knew both front and rear brackets need to be trimmed to fit around body mounts and leaf spring hangars. Couple that with probably three holes per bracket, five brackets per side, is a lot of time for installation!

post-247-0-16484900-1397297163_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-09371500-1397297170_thumb.jpg

I stopped for a deer steak supper at Matt's on the way home yesterday, his wife was nice enough to cook, and I was just getting home at dark and noticed

the headlights weren't working. And I don't want to give anyone a reason to pull me over! Short story - it was a 30 year old corroded and loose three prong connector at the headlight where it feeds into the HD headlight relay system I installed last fall or so. It is now very clean and tight :blush: and won't come loose again! Glad it failed when I had a good chance to diagnose and fix it properly, not in the middle of the night in foul weather. Or a 'traffic' ticket!

Fixed my horn which stopped working due to half a cup of water sloshing around in it.
Fitted a new relay for my driving lights and re-installed the wires.
For some random reason I woke up and decided less is more, so I removed most of my stickers.....left the most important one on ;)
IMG_20140420_132800.jpg
IMG_20140420_132816.jpg

I bought it off of eBay. The place has amazing feedback and they've sold almost 3000 of these lights. It was also much cheaper than anything I could find local. I'm interested to see how well it works.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/24INCH-120W-LED-LIGHT-BAR-FLOOD-SPOT-WORK-LIGHTS-4WD-UTE-OFFROAD-SAVE-240W-/331055713668?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d14754d84

Finally got around to installing my light bar today. No pics of the install as it was starting to get dark when I started to do it. I'm really happy with how bright it is! It doesn't have crazy throw, but does a great job lighting up in front of you.

It was really hard trying to take half decent pics with a phone, the difference is quite a bit more than what the pics show.

Here's just low beams.

WP_20140420_008_zpsf8f3a040.jpg

Low and light bar.

WP_20140420_009_zps38de12d0.jpg

Just high beams.

WP_20140420_010_zps5b4f5087.jpg

High and light bar.

WP_20140420_011_zps795a0a4f.jpg

I mounted it back a bit so I wouldn't get any glare on the windshield, or hood.

WP_20140420_012_zps606316e1.jpg

Only a tiny bit of light lands on the hood, and I can't see it sitting in the Jeep.

WP_20140420_013_zps5fadcb64.jpg

In most cases, you do get what you pay for. A $1000 Warn is going to be better in many ways than than a $500 Superkeepersnaponwhateverwinch. For something like SAR, I'd say stick with Warn without a doubt... chances are good that if you are using the winch someone's life may be on the line.

However, I have a Superwinch LP10000 that I picked up from PA for $350 (on sale from $699 or something...) that I've had for almost 3 years and it has not let me down.... and it has seen a fair amount of use. Worst time saw the Rover up over the bumper in thick Gaspereau River MUD.... took 3 complete lengths of the cable (85 ft cable) to get me clear of the hole with a short break in between each pull just to re-rig the winch line. The water was deep, over the winch in a few spots (I know, electrical motor under water... bad...whatever!) It got me out and wasn't even a bit warm.

I've had two troubles with the winch. First, the controller started working intermittently, you had to wiggle the wire near the plug to get it to work... probably has more to do with me driving over it well it was plugged in (pulling in out) than cheapness of product. Other problem was the connector for the remote on the winch side got loose, nothing that a piece of metal with a few holes won't fix to reinforce it. Again, may have had something to do with me driving over the remote lead while it was plugged in.

I'd say, if you have lots of cash flow and no other place to put it, go for a Warn. If someones life may be depended on whether or not your winch works, go for a Warn. But, if you need to be much more selective of where your money goes (such as "I can get a Warn winch and stick with my worn out all season tires... or I can get a $400 Superkeepersnaponwhateverwinch and a new set of MT's") than Warn may not be for you. Or if you are ok with the greater possibility of the winch failing in use but have alternate recovery sources (such as another truck, or even a highlift with the proper attachments) than a Warn may not be for you.

That all said.... I'd LOVE to have a Warn 8274. Just looks all sorts of right on the front of an old Landie!

Funny story, I gave my 5 cents on the winch topic thinking that that was a recent post. Then I noticed that there are two more pages of posts! Geez.... I need to pay more attention apparently!

lol I could see that one coming! For recreation we bought two of our 8274s used for around $400 each. Not $2,000 new! One was on a bumper at the then 'Debert' car show, from an ex- DFO truck at the big TO salvage yard. One was on Kijiji in Ellershouse and I drove down within 2 hours of it being posted, being the first of many to call! And the third we got off a '55 Willy's Army resto as payment for work we did on it. Had to spend about $400 in total on parts for re-build. For SAR, we've bought one new and got one off a retired fire truck, never been used.

I'd blame it on lack of coffee.

I completed another $100+ mod today...I filled the X with gas :unsure:

First time back in Nova Scotia in a year, left the 4runner in alberta for now, pushin a camry at the moment but damn I cant believe how bad they get you guys here with gas prices! INSANE! The X is your DD too aswell right?

i cut some plate today and some tubing to recess the mounts for my front skid plate, also made a plate welded with a piece of iron angle to protect my rad, some people tend to forget how important it is to protect your coolant system

First time back in Nova Scotia in a year, left the 4runner in alberta for now, pushin a camry at the moment but damn I cant believe how bad they get you guys here with gas prices! INSANE! The X is your DD too aswell right?

Yes it's a DD, but I put less than 10k kms/year on it so that's fine. My DD to work is roughly 5-6kms including dropping off the kids to pre-school and the sitter. After work, it's 2.3km to home! I could walk in 45 minutes, but with a laptop bag in tow & dress shoes...it never happens.

Archived