• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob what product do you use? I'll have a gander and see what I used. Think it was quixx worked like a charm. Some relatively deep ones in my option. Took Em it no problem. Couple hours and the fj was done up nice.

Rob what product do you use? I'll have a gander and see what I used. Think it was quixx worked like a charm. Some relatively deep ones in my option. Took Em it no problem. Couple hours and the fj was done up nice.

Come and do my Jeep, and we'll see how good it is :P !

Scratch removal on silver is easy as pie. Give red or black a try some time. Yellow is also a nightmare if you had to sand it. I did a yellow C5 Vette about 3 years ago. All over wet sand and buff. Took me two days. Hateful color yellow. Farecla is also a good compound to use if you want to buff. Farecle G3 & G6 are what I use for 90% of my buffing.

Anyway, actual on topic content! I put a new CB in the Jeep today. Cobra 18WSXT II, with some cobra antenna I bought at crappy tire. Seems to work really good so far. Even gets a local weather forecast channel that seems to be in french about 2/3 of the time,

Wire brushed all my skids and cross members underneath and gave it a couple coats of rust paint. Also did the frame rails, now i just have to do in all of the wheel wells. looks a lot better without the crappy looking surface rust everywhere.

I mounted a small fire extinguisher to the drivers door. It might not be much, but it's in a spot that's quick and easy to get at, and it could make a difference if a fire does happen.

Great idea! It reminds me that I have to get a new one for my Xterra. I removed mine from the X to place in the kitchen.

Here's hoping you don't have to use it ;)

A 3 pounder fits really well in the doors (I usually carry one, but there are 2 doors).

post-429-0-16598200-1401316231_thumb.jpg

Well, I started pricing a new exhaust for the X today. The muffler you see in the pic was first installed in 2001 on another vehicle(Pathfinder) before being installed on the X in 2009. You can see the crease from dragging over an obstacle (rock face) last fall that cause the side to blow out. The pipes from the secondary cats to the muffler are also shot and need to be replaced as well.

post-429-0-28435700-1401316650_thumb.jpg

post-429-0-33185900-1401316656_thumb.jpg

Thanks, but I love the sound of the Magnaflow. New one was ordered yesterday and will be in next week. Both pipes from the cats to the muffler (2 in - 1 out) have to be replaced as well. It's very seedy and now very loud.

Rotated the tires and man...what a difference. I made a trip to Elmsdale last week and felt like I was in a massage chair the whole time. I was also concerned about a consistent hum from the front end that I thought was a wheel bearing assembly.

Tires rotated in an X pattern (of course because I drive an X ;) ) and it's now smooth again and no humming. Tires are getting pretty weather cracked between the lugs though so I need to keep any eye out for a good used set again.

Next week, new exhaust. There are 9 different holes in the piping that was fabbed only 5 years ago, and of course, the opening at the seem of the muffler.

I too have the flowmaster super 44 on my 4runner for the last two years, with the 4.7+ the super 44 with the big resonator at the end removed it is very loud. Love it though.

Sam

Archived