• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I installed my new HD front d-shaft yesterday. Had worked OT for 5 days straight for Year End at work so took the day off during the nice weather. We have a Ford Focus in the garage so I changed it in the driveway. I changed the piddly 1310 pinion yoke to a 1350! I also tightened the steering 'feel' in the steering box, something you can do on the old Saginaw(?) steering boxes. I've never done it before but it seemed to work on a short test drive anyway. We'll see tomorrow, when I'm doing a SAR mud/snow run! I used to be seemingly able to turn the steering wheel a quarter turn on the highway before she'd take notice!

post-247-0-27521800-1396717274_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-19834200-1396717280_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-04952700-1396717286_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-34148400-1396717291_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-78289500-1396717296_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-73768700-1396717302_thumb.jpg

They made it to the garage on Saturday night! I doubt if they will make it on before The Rally but we will see. I've got a funeral this week for a SAR guy that passed from a heart attack while on vacay in Cuba, and another SAR mud/snow run probably on Thursday. And I'm beat from the 6 km slog through the woods today! They need to be primed/painted and mounting holes drilled. Rob S. said that can take a while!

post-247-0-51297000-1396840358_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-16695200-1396840364_thumb.jpg

If I put too many holes in each bracket it's either going to stiffen the frame, which would be good, this truck isn't a hydro-formed box like the new stuff, or it will then buckle! lol

Sliders look good...

I used some high strength coat hanger wire to hold my exhaust up and put a cheap patch on where the pipe has split, Truggy project is loaded up on the trailer and hopefully moving to it's new house this week, Some much needed room recovered in the garage...

I bought it off of eBay. The place has amazing feedback and they've sold almost 3000 of these lights. It was also much cheaper than anything I could find local. I'm interested to see how well it works.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/24INCH-120W-LED-LIGHT-BAR-FLOOD-SPOT-WORK-LIGHTS-4WD-UTE-OFFROAD-SAVE-240W-/331055713668?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d14754d84

I bought it off of eBay. The place has amazing feedback and they've sold almost 3000 of these lights. It was also much cheaper than anything I could find local. I'm interested to see how well it works.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/24INCH-120W-LED-LIGHT-BAR-FLOOD-SPOT-WORK-LIGHTS-4WD-UTE-OFFROAD-SAVE-240W-/331055713668?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d14754d84

Thanks for the info.

Extended my diff breather, and found a nasty surprise.....time to change diff oil me thinks!

I did the same mod a while back. The breather came apart in my hand just like yours. I was fortunate to have no water in the rear diff, but I was changing the fluid anyway!

Is the earlier model X front diff vent into the air box? It does on the 05+ models.

btw: make sure that you check the rear fluid for those H233B's with LSD. A lot of gear oil does not have a friction modifier in the fluid. You'll easily tell the next time you take a sharp corner at low speed as the inside tire will chirp. Ford dealerships (probably others too) stocks a friction modifier that you can add to the diff to have the LSD working properly again for ~$10. Had this happen on my 96 Pathy when I change the fluid.

I disconnected my front sway bar for tomorrow. I got it zip tied up as well as I could, but the drivers side might contact the tire at full lock while being stuffed. Went for a drive with it disconnected, and it wasn't too bad. Normal driving and I didn't really notice it all that much, but give the wheel a quick jerk and you could sure as hell tell it was disconnected!! Can't wait to see how much of a difference it'll make on the trails.

Allowing the suspension to stretch will make the ride much softer on the trail. Are you going to get a set of disconnects?

I think I might. They're pretty cheap, and would be much easier than trying to undo and get out the stock bolts that hold the links in!

Archived