• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we'd fit Eugene :( i had to leave my truck at home and ride with Jessy for that one.   it would only take 3-5 trees to make it full size doable, but there's alot of people that enjoy the trail for that very reason.    

a couple spots leave cms on either side of a JKs mirrors.

I'd be willing to try it one day. and just turn around if need be (more likely back out. lol)

I had folded in mirrors on the liberty through the posts, and still rubbed a bit of body. It was definitely one of the best parts of that trail. If you want to try it Matt with the truck you and I could go then of course get you out if you couldn't maneuver. Two rigs is easier to attempt than many 

Getting this thread back on track LOL

So with my SAS build kinda at a stand still, my next project might be a rear swing out tire carrier.

I like the on the tire on the roof look, but with no sway bars, I've found myself to be quiet top-heavy and unstable. With the 33's coming online with the SAS, it's not going to be an option.

1) Why is the SAS at a stand still?  Winter, need to straighten the Radius arm, etc?

2) You don't use the back seat much, but even if so, put the tire on the rear cargo floor.  Swing away tire carriers are a PITA to use and get mounted strongly. You have a PITA already having to swing up that heavy tailgate mounted fuel can!

That's very true about the back seat - these Xterras can hold a surprising amount of gear - I got all 5x 33's in the back with room to spare with the seats down :)

If I go with the carrier, I'd probably have to relocate the gas can.

So the SAS

I'm not 100% convinced the arm is bent as it's in an identical configuration to the arms here;

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/954080-bent-radius-arm.html "the one on the driver side it is probably offset due to the differential on that side"

So, I'm going to at least try and install the arms as-is and take it from there.

My original plan was to start the SAS front 1st, but then recently it dawned on me that the rear will be SOA, so the rear height will dramatically change - and until the rear is in, I won't know how high to install the front spring/coil mounts to level it out.

So, I'm kinda waiting on the rear, and the cold isn't helping either LOL

My rule of thumb is to always build the front. The reason is because if you fine tune the front for steering geometry and drive line angles, none of which will affect the rear. Then once the front is complete, drive shaft in and ready to rock, then build the rear to match, 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived