• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What's goin on guys, New wheeler from Milford

DutchBoy82

Hey looking to join up with a group like this for some good runs this year..and hopefully some backcountry camping

Picked up my stock rig last November. It's a 06 Toyota 4Runner Limited. Had it thru some good stuff so far but only gave me the itch bad!

Mods so far:

Weather Tec mats

3 inch lift level kit

2 inch spacers

New break lines

K&N filter

33x11x18 Hercules Trail Digger Brand New!

All lights LED as well as lit floor wells.

Traction control kill switch

Different tube breather extension

Tow Hooks

Roof Rack

On order: Bilstein rear shocks +2inch travel

CBI off road ditch light brackets

6 ...4inch CREE LED spot/flood lamps

post-1090-0-01631900-1427730367_thumb.jp

post-1090-0-47724800-1427730412_thumb.jp

post-1090-0-30328200-1427730449_thumb.jp

post-1090-0-37516000-1427730490_thumb.jp

post-1090-0-56607400-1427730516_thumb.jp

Nice rig!

What does the TC kill switch do (besides the obvious) - I guess what I'm asking is why a kill switch; you cannot disable TC from the factory?

well my rig has A-Trac traction control...i guess its kinda like a auto diff lock...where it uses ABS to stop the useless spinning wheel and thus drives the other wheel getting you hopefully unstuck. Anyway this can be annoying on slippery surfaces...regular traction control it comes on alot, and you cannot spin the wheels. sometimes I have to use 4x4 to just get off a little ice cause the traction control just wont let it move...so it has centre diff lock...when this is on its the only way to bypass the A-trac..you can spin! so if you want to bang doughnuts in 2 wheel drive or spin without centre diff then use the kill switch...there is no factory traction off button. Also ive herd people on forms saying if they don't use a full size spare it could cause their traction control to go screwy thus making it hard to get out the woods...well i figure this solves that problem too..

Welcome to the forum. I was behind your rig the other day in the Elmsdale area, and thought "Wonder if he knows about Backcountry?" :D

yep that was probably me for sure...just found out about this! cant wait for spring..well spring conditions lol

well my rig has A-Trac traction control...i guess its kinda like a auto diff lock...where it uses ABS to stop the useless spinning wheel and thus drives the other wheel getting you hopefully unstuck. Anyway this can be annoying on slippery surfaces...regular traction control it comes on alot, and you cannot spin the wheels. sometimes I have to use 4x4 to just get off a little ice cause the traction control just wont let it move...so it has centre diff lock...when this is on its the only way to bypass the A-trac..you can spin! so if you want to bang doughnuts in 2 wheel drive or spin without centre diff then use the kill switch...there is no factory traction off button. Also ive herd people on forms saying if they don't use a full size spare it could cause their traction control to go screwy thus making it hard to get out the woods...well i figure this solves that problem too..

I have the same "nanny system" on my X.

Interesting stuff with A-Trac.

The H2 has something similar with the traction control (as does the H3), but the H2 has a setting called TC2 which will allow the wheels to spin. The H3 can be completely disabled with a button sequence programmed into the factory computers.

Nice rig!

What does the TC kill switch do (besides the obvious) - I guess what I'm asking is why a kill switch; you cannot disable TC from the factory?

So, ya we dont have a tc off button factory, but as soon as you put it into 4 high it disables traction control but keeps stability control until you go to 4L.

Its a pain the nuts for any 2wd fun you want to have. unless of course you have a sensor that isn't working then its no holds barred in any level of drive.

After actually reading everything. i dont need to post all that so.... Welcome, its nice to see Toyota almost matching the Heep guys.

No electronic nannies on my '84. Part time 4WD, shift lever on the floor, locking hubs, etc. She does what I want!

Lots on my '09 AWD and that is great! I just throw it into the curves and keep on driving, letting it take care of over-steer, under-steer, or whatever else is happening! Works great!

Welcome. Nice yoga. Jbacon, your info isn't correct. In 4hi, traction control still operates, but not to its full capability. Its Only when in 4lo that it it doesn't work at all. I'm too lazy to install a switch so I'll just pull the fuse for abs and traction control instead

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. Nice yoga. Jbacon, your info isn't correct. In 4hi, traction control still operates, but not to its full capability. Its Only when in 4lo that it it doesn't work at all. I'm too lazy to install a switch so I'll just pull the fuse for abs and traction control instead

Well perhaps there is a difference in our 2 models perhaps year? Because when im in 4hi my Traction control is off but stability control is on. (which prevents you from drifting to much sideways (try to prevent rollover) anyways. similar system as my 2013 sierra has, but that has a button to turn it all off.

Archived