• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

2014 M.U.D. Run - DATE: July 25 - 27, 2014!

sar4x4

UPDATE: The date is set: Friday/Saturday/Sunday July 25, 26 and 27th, 2014

Okay, Scott let the name and idea out of the bag in the Feb. 07 Meeting minutes. I'm excited so I'm going to post my interpretation!

(Read to the tune of the original 'Law and Order' TV series.)

Here is the story:

A loosely organized 'Run what ya' brung' run starting at one location and traversing several trails over a few days, (yes overnight!), and ending at another location tens of km away.

A combination of '4Wheel and Off Road' magazine's annual UA adventure, 'Four Wheeler' magazine's DED series, the now long defunct local 'GAC' event and any others you can think of. Look those term's up!

The only organization will be the original start location, and a small fee for a sticker!

During the 'event' we'll post up where we are and where we are heading towards. Anyone can bow out at any time, or join in at any time. Depending on terrain we may travel 20 kms in one day or only a few and camp and repair.

The KISS principle will be the only principle followed. You are responsible for your own rough camping, food, water, fuel, repairs, etc.

There is an idea of where it may start and ultimately end and it is in central mainland Nova Scotia.

The big question is, what does MUD stand for? Because it is an acronym, and it can be many things, and doesn't just describe some of the terrain conditions hoped for!

At this time there is no formal organizing committee, no proposed date, just some ideas.
But above all it will be just like the Ultimate Adventure listed above. NO WHINING. Come or don't come, there will be no one to complain to!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does this mean you are not doing the summer event

Good question! Sorry for any confusion! This is totally separate from the long standing Valley / Fox Mountain / Poker Run and Mud Bogs. An idea for something new. (No showers, ugh!)

I've heard some thoughts for the Poker Run and Mud Bog that I liked at January's meeting but I'm not part of that organizing committee.

this is for street legal, trail tough rigs - we'll be going from highway to trail and there will be no hotels along the way.

That reminds me of one of the discussions during the initial inception of the idea and brain-storming. If we are on former Bowater lands or the 'Beaver Bank' trails or other places where you often see ATVs with red plates, I don't see why red-plated truggies/buggies, etc couldn't be there. My thoughts are there will be no set schedule how far we might make it any one day, but if you have someone that can leap-frog your tow rig and trailer for you, great! Or you can back-track to your rig.

Also this is meant for 4WD automobile-sized rigs only, it would be dangerous to have ATVs and UTVs in the mix. The thought is for a bit of an 'expedition' style event. I think of it as a longer version of a monthly club run! IMHO!

are you planning to do that over a weekend or during the week?

did you already pick the trail location?

we're planning somethig similar this summer but it will last at least 5-6 days and we will leave from meagher's grant, travel north of lake charlotte and exit somewhere near tangier.

are you planning to do that over a weekend or during the week?

did you already pick the trail location?

we're planning somethig similar this summer but it will last at least 5-6 days and we will leave from meagher's grant, travel north of lake charlotte and exit somewhere near tangier.

Thoughts are a Friday, Saturday, Sunday. And actually to stay away from any long weekends. But not decided yet.

There is an idea for the chain of trails.........

As well as knowing the trails to run so that people can "enter & exit" as necessary.

The plan is to send notifications for meetups as we are approaching a stop / start point. There are not going to be "trails" per-se. This is like the Ultimate Adventure... we go where the leader takes us.

As long as the leader's not this guy. :D

Looks Eastern European! And not shy!

Schedule: Although nothing is decided yet , my interpretation and memory of the event discussions, and having been to GAC twice, and a Jeep Jam once in the mid-90's (!) when I say Friday, I'm thinking 10 am Friday morning. As as Scott mentions, there would be posts during the day where we are and where we are heading for, and I would expect a second wave of participants showing up late Friday afternoon and evening, and Saturday morning.

Tom - if your rig isn't ready, hopefully there will be empty seats in other rigs! Maybe in mine, maybe in Jay's! Heck, I usually walk as much as I can watching the action and let others drive mine!

Sounds like fun now all I would need to do is get my military trailer camper done

lol, I do like the idea of "follow the leader" blind, but I hope people can drive as well in reverse as they can forward!

I can and even with a trailer.

I don't get TRUX's post, but I like mr joe's reply! And for RRJ, I think that would be neat to see a trailer on the event! If I can fit with the Burb, can you and a trailer fit? As Autumnwalker says elsewhere, we will conquer the obstacles! It is about a 'Can do' attitude!

Archived