• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

**JUNE CLUB RUN** "Sweetland Trail"

Guest backwoodsxj

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how low did people air down? On one of the trails last weekend, I went down to 11 pounds on my P rated tires, they looked pretty soft and I did manage to pick up a couple of sticks in a bead, no problem though. Actually, I did better on the trail this time than I did last time at 17 pounds. I know I read one comment about airing down.

I ran 15psi all day yesterday and made it through everything. For me, that's a good starting place with room to airdown more if I have to. I have gone down to 8 psi on my TSL at times as well. I start at 15 now, so it doesn't take as long to air up at the end, provided I don't take it down any more through the trail.

I ran 12psi last couple years but have them at 15 this year and that takes me home as well.Sweetland is very off camber and losing a bead in there is common so would'nt run too low anymore........ If I had to take to the 100 series hyw's I would air up to specs.....

..... If I had to take to the 100 series hyw's I would air up to specs.....

Deffinitely air up to specs, I tried driving home on the 102 at low psi and could barely maintain 100 kmh and was all over the road, had to exit and air up!

The SmittyBilt Comp-Air system I got from Peck's is one of the best investments I've made for my rig, I'd put it right up there with rock rails. It takes less than a minute per tire to air back up to my usual 32 pounds and a charged tank will do me about 2 dozen tire refills (6 trail runs).

I dropped 15 out of my tires which brought them from 40 to 25 but wasn't enough, I plan on dropping to 20 or less next time it is hard to tell with the toyo mud terrain because they still look like they are up with no air in them. I think I was at the end of the trail for about an hour airing up. The FJ is a little heavier than the jeeps so I didn't want to go to low for the first time. It was great till I got into the soft dirt at the bottom of winch hill, them she really dug in!

Potato Digger, the magazine article I reposted above had some good info on airing down and how to know what's right for your specific tires. They were dropping air pressure in tires down to under 6 & 8 psi to find the correct trail pressure. It might be worth looking at Len's Viair setup or an air pig or a CO2 tank like I have. It'll only take us minutes to air up after a trail run.

glad you guys had fun , sorry i couldnt go but i had 4x4 racing . its a great trail , im glad i have friends that give us permission to use their land :) i built it wide enough for my rig although mine is short , nits nice to see other bigger rigs trying it , dont worry about the stepside box now , i hit fender , door and quarter on that tree . if i was there i woulda told you about that hole heheh been there /

any how , glad you guys like what i built :smiley-transport027: ******* diggin

glad you guys had fun , sorry i couldnt go but i had 4x4 racing . its a great trail , im glad i have friends that give us permission to use their land :) i built it wide enough for my rig although mine is short , nits nice to see other bigger rigs trying it , dont worry about the stepside box now , i hit fender , door and quarter on that tree . if i was there i woulda told you about that hole heheh been there /

any how , glad you guys like what i built :smiley-transport027: f****** diggin

You guys put an awesome trail together Allen, glad you found it :) Something to challenge most rigs in places, and a whole lot of entertainment value for watching everybody try!

Don't be such a stranger, eh?

Archived