• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jay said:

Hmmm that's weird. The X would sit turned on and stationary all day long in the woods in summer. It got lil' hot last year, but the rad was just full of mud.

I suspect fan clutch is the issue, IV already cleaned the radiator out, idling it was OK, but just low speed trail running and light throttle application to climb some small grade it was heating real bad

In the past I Seafoamed one of my '82 VW 1.8 8v motors to help with blue smoke on startup...actually cleared the problem.....so I did the same. Pulled the plugs when warm and dumped the lot in the plug holes. Let it sit for a while, then cranked it without the plugs to prevent hydrolock. The seafoam was brown when it came out of the holes.

It seems to be idling a bit smoother now.

IMG_20160924_132415.jpg

Started to remove some of the radio station decals, that ended up like picking a scab....a total de-decal. I'm glad I did too because ironically the band-aid decal was hiding a big rusty scab underneath.

The Fox decal was just a vinyl outline, and it's left shiny paint where the vinyl was LOL.

IMG_20160924_205810.jpg

IMG_20160924_205825.jpg

When I initially installed the rear brakes, I left off the parking brake mechanism as the SJ410 has the parking brake on the transfer case. I deleted the tcase parking brake as nobody could supply brake shoes for it. So, I've got the parking brake cables, and re-installed the parking brake mechanism....which also has the adjuster. I'm hoping the missing adjuster was the cause of my 2 pump brakes.

Just have the cables to work out now :)

Wow, there used to be extended lines on that at one time, I remember putting them on lol, but only on the front, it never had rear brakes the entire time  my buddie had it. It also had some crazy flex when he had it in the mountians on a regular basis. But you are right, the last few years hasn't seen much articulation, just mud bogging

So it seems I like to burn out fuel pumps.

Pump 1 (used) - output was just a dribble

Pump 2 (used) - had pressure issues, wouldn't pull fuel out of the OEM tank, and eventually burnt out on the way to MUD Run Day 1

Pump 3 (used) - I ran out of gas and it died

I've bought a new 6PSI Airtex E8012S, and a glass filter to replace the plastic one.

The new pump really kicks out gas at good rate, way better than anything I've seen so far. Since the output pressure is so good, I've re-installed the bypass in order to help the pump fighting dead head pressure. - seems there's pros and cons with this setup. I'll just have to see how it goes. I can always removed the return if needed.

IMG_20160930_093357.jpg

IMG_20160930_093430.jpg

2 hours ago, jay said:

So it seems I like to burn out fuel pumps.

Pump 1 (used) - output was just a dribble

Pump 2 (used) - had pressure issues, wouldn't pull fuel out of the OEM tank, and eventually burnt out on the way to MUD Run Day 1

Pump 3 (used) - I ran out of gas and it died

I've bought a new 6PSI Airtex E8012S, and a glass filter to replace the plastic one.

The new pump really kicks out gas at good rate, way better than anything I've seen so far. Since the output pressure is so good, I've re-installed the bypass in order to help the pump fighting dead head pressure. - seems there's pros and cons with this setup. I'll just have to see how it goes. I can always removed the return if needed.

IMG_20160930_093357.jpg

IMG_20160930_093430.jpg

That is an awesome pump u got on there now, is it a Carter? I had one that looked just like it from car quest years ago on one of my previous Fords, only issue with pressure loss once was the steel screen plugged up with gunk, removed on trail and blew it out and back in business! They are pretty quiet also

Archived