• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

Transmission is swapped. I had a fight with the clutch cable adjustment, but it's done.

Got it all buttoned up and discovered the PO had JB welded the fill hole closed. I'm not gonna mess with it as it's probably like that for a good reason. I'll fill'er up using the shifter hole.....seems a lot of other Sami folks do that too for convenience.

My Rockauto order came in....NGKs all round and parking brake cable. I made a mistake on the order as I forgot about this distributor being different as it's clip on, not screw on...oh well.

Next jobs....

Trunnion bearings - gotta collect them up from Partsource and throw them in.

Exhaust - need to add a foot to the end to get the pipe away from the cab.

IMG_20160913_130436.jpg

IMG_20160913_192722.jpg

IMG_20160914_093916.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No comment on your PM..rude I know, sorry, but I'm not ignoring you Eugene - I'm being non-committal (I think I should be good tho)

Took the Zuk out for a little test drive after swapping out the trans, and so far so good, no whirring noise. Let's see what it's like when it's up to temperature :) I also extended my exhaust so it's not chocking me to death. Still needs a rice fitting on the end I think ;)

IMG_20160914_133516.jpg

Passenger wheel has about 1/2 inch of play when rocking the top center of the wheel. So I picked up a pair of trunnion bearings yesterday. Gonna attempt to install them today if I get time. This will be my first time dealing with them.

All I know is to keep the kingpins and shims together, and put them back in their original locations.

IMG_20160915_082411.jpg

Shouldn't be hard, should it?

Famous last words..............

Nice SKF bearings.........

So I assume you can see the movement in the 'kingpin' area and not the wheel bearing?

If not, trial by error.............

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow to fire up the Suburban.

- change from ATs to MTs.  Mostly for looks, I don't think we'll see much mud!

- throw the axe, chain saw, club radio, etc etc in

- fluids.......

- aux battery

Maybe I should start a new thread............ lol   Too late!

CAUTION If they are too long they can pinch shut when turning, etc. and you will lose brake pressure momentarily after you straighten out.  Ask me how I know...............

This happened on the SAR 1976 1 1/4 Ton Dodge Power Wagon that my brother now has.  We had flaky brakes at SAR for several months or over a year.

Unit one smart mechanic figured it out.  (Wasn't me.)

Removed the radio, speakers and other misc. wiring in a mission to clean up, go as minimalist as possible and get the heater blower motor working. If I want tunes, I'll bring my bluetooth speaker, or use headphones ;)

Discovered only the blower motor switch is dirty, so easy fix! :)

Fixed the OBA ...just a fuse. Tested it and it gets pressure.

Started picking at the floor....saw the brown and got worried. Luckily it's just old mud dust, and no rust that I can see so far :)   ...and the sound deadening sucks to remove!!

IMG_20160920_173315.jpg

IMG_20160920_173836.jpg

IMG_20160920_181705.jpg

lol.  It's not dripping a bunch of fluids, nor weeds growing up through it! What's not to like?

I used to tie a tarp over mine when it was in a somewhat disassembled condition in an apartment parking lot, no issues.

But it had full air in the tires, lol.

I often buy new/aftermarket/universal stuff.  Then find I had one all along...........  in one of my 'gold' piles.

Started an inventory last winter.  Over 3/4 the way through.  And may never finish...............  but I'd like to!

I recently found the 'my-side' instructions and promptly moved the vacuum advance hose location from the 12oclock position, to the 7oclock position in order to try and stop the pinging under load.

On the MUD Run I discovered the motor would overheat at 60km/h or more. So I also replaced the clutch fan on a hunch that it wasn't engaging enough. On the drive back from coffee night, my temp gauge sat at a steady 50% :)

IDK if it was because the ambient air temp was cooler, or the fan swap fixed it, or the recent change to the distributor was the fix - my guess was incorrect vacuum advance under load.

Installed the rad reservoir - so no more wet engine bay!

Installed a cup holder - badly needed!!

Installed a clip on one of my rad hoses that I totally forgot about, but was kindly picked up on at coffee last night :)

Installed a dual 12v cigar and 2.1A USB combo with dust cover :)

IMG_20160922_165805.jpg

14370216_10153944853106452_3579707824085174617_n.jpg

IMG_20160923_130543.jpg

IMG_20160923_132953.jpg

IMG_20160923_133407.jpg

IMG_20160923_141139.jpg

Archived