• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Matt's Daily Driver Build

Brunet-Hemi

Please view this ad:

94 Dodge Dakota for sale,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/annapolis-valley/94-dodge-dakota-for-sale/1206396530?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Here's the kijiji ad for it. and no I didn't pay 1100 for it lol

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The frame is solid. it has surface rust from being 22 years old but POR 15 should handle that.    very minor body rust. (fenders are cheap for these anyway :) )

The engine runs pretty rough and we smelt fuel as if it was leaking. and I had to fix the firing order when I got there, and it needed a boost. but I don't need the engine anyway.   :)

8 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

The frame is solid. it has surface rust from being 22 years old but POR 15 should handle that.    very minor body rust. (fenders are cheap for these anyway :) )

The engine runs pretty rough and we smelt fuel as if it was leaking. and I had to fix the firing order when I got there, and it needed a boost. but I don't need the engine anyway.   :)

Don't fix anything while they own it, cus that is leverage for lower price haha. Right on 

1 hour ago, Powerram said:

Don't fix anything while they own it, cus that is leverage for lower price haha. Right on 

Oh it still ran like **** after so I was able to talk him down. took a look at it with Dave once I got it Toms and it was just a MAP sensor unplugged   runs great now. lol

It was dark by the time I got it to Toms I'll post picks when I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some pics. Lol

Got the front end parts out of the way today.  Nice and easy to pull the engine/trans out together now. 

If this was Ram I probably could of got it to this point in 1/2 the time. It really slows you down when you have to figure out bolt sizes and where they all are. Lol. AND when you have to cut a few.

20161218_094835.jpg20161218_094746.jpg20161218_094758.jpg20161218_161026.jpg20161218_165911.jpg

Got the engine and transmission out :)

Next step will be to sort out the wiring and the gauges, mock up the approximate engine and transmission position, plum coolant, intake, intercooler, and power steering lines, fab engine mounts and adjust the drives haft length.  Nothing much really should only take a couple hours. Lol

20161222_131232.jpg

Went to Kenny''s today and low and behold this truck shows up while I'm looking through the yard!20161229_111907.jpg

Got a clutch/brake pedal, master and slave cylinders and fluid reservoir. Plus a few interior pieces to replace the fake wood in my truck with black.

Also grabbed a bit of wiring harness that the VW was missing. I should have everything now other than the adapter kit for the Engine/Transmission. Gunna have to save up for that still

Got the VW gauges fitted in the Dakota cluster..... kinda.  Lol.  The VW gauges were a tad to tall but I managed to squeeze them in there.

20170104_224717.jpg 

Installed my immobilizer delete. IMG_20170102_224113.jpg

Started reducing the part of the wiring harness for the gauges/OBD2 port/ throttle pedal.  I tried to figure it out as I went without a diagram and got a little carried away.IMG_20170101_194411.jpg

Needless to saw the lack of a diagram made it a bit tricky. Luckily I found a tech manual online and managed to sort it all out :).    Just have to splice a few wires into the Dakota harness and it should be good to go.  IMG_20170104_160729.jpg

This is just the in cab portion. I'll reduce the engine bay part after I get it running. Just in case. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Those gauges look like they are at home in the housing!

Are you going to leave the purple back lighting or swap it out for something more "Dodge-y"?

No plans as of yet to change the leds but I might in the distant future.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

Wrong brand of pop, lol.  If the truck doesn't run, try the OTHER brand. hehehehe

If I put in the OTHER brand it definitely won't run. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

So the time is nearing for me to order the adapter kit and I just can't bring my self to click "submit order".   It's way to expensive especially when considering how inexpensive everything else was for this build.

So............ I am taking everyone's advice and just building my own. Got a piece of plexiglass to use for a template and started doing up the transmission part of it.20170220_131641.jpg

I do have a favour to ask @Jawritch. When you get a chance could measure how far the flywheel mounting surface sticks out from the transmission mounting surface on your 4.0L?  That way I can make sure my flywheel/clutch will be the right depth inside the transmission.

The Pepsi is for @sar4x4. Lol

39 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

So the time is nearing for me to order the adapter kit and I just can't bring my self to click "submit order".   It's way to expensive especially when considering how inexpensive everything else was for this build.

So............ I am taking everyone's advice and just building my own. Got a piece of plexiglass to use for a template and started doing up the transmission part of it.20170220_131641.jpg

I do have a favour to ask @Jawritch. When you get a chance could measure how far the flywheel mounting surface sticks out from the transmission mounting surface on your 4.0L?  That way I can make sure my flywheel/clutch will be the right depth inside the transmission.

The Pepsi is for @sar4x4. Lol

It's that wrong brand of soft drink again.  As for Submitting the order, send me your CC # and the website, I'll click Submit for ya!

There might also be something else on that site I could use.  Don't be surprised if your bill comes in a little higher.  Think of it as a service charge, on top of the exchange rate, shipping, duty,  brokerage, etc.

hehehehe

Archived