• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Matt's Daily Driver Build

Brunet-Hemi

I don't know if it's going to matter but it's from an auto so it will have a flex plate instead of a flywheel. The flywheel teeth are built into the torque converter. I should be able to get measurements to the flex plate and also to the "flywheel" teeth

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is your flexplate currently installed? I'm not too worried about starter teeth, I'll  probably have to relocate the started anyway because of the turbo so I can adjust for that. 

I suck at explaining things so paint to the rescue.   Ideally if you could measure the distance (depth?, offset? whatever you want to call it) between the 2 mounting surfaces indicated. If your flexplate is still installed, then just measure what you can and let me know and I'll do some weird math or something to make it work. lol

again I appreciate this.rear_main_bearing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to get up to Toms yesterday. Took some measurements for how much fuel line I'll need and stuff.  

Got the adapter plate template finished up. All I need now is to sort out the flywheel and get those measurments from Justin.20170228_183706.jpg20170305_161558.jpg

the flywheel might be a little tricky. The VW bolt patter is smaller than the bore on the Jeep flywheel.  So it's not just a redrill scenario.  I'll bring it to a machine shop and see what they can do. 

You can see the bit of silver through the holes in the pic.  That's the Jeep flywheel.20170306_152821.jpg

1 hour ago, Lil'monster said:

They made an ax15 that went in a toyota I do believe . May be a smaller diameter?

Yeah they did.  I saw my buddy's (out of a supra) the case was identical.  The input shaft was different and different bellhousing. Not sure on clutch diameter though. 

53 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Maybe look into the 2.5L  jeep clutch disk dimensions.

Different input shaft. Otherwise that would probably work. 

Ok so I checked and the jeep friction disk is way to big for the VW flywheel/pressure plate,  did some research to try and find either a smaller friction disk or bigger flywheel that would work and I've found nothing yet,   going to keep looking though.   I'm also going to stop by a machine shop tomorrow and see if they can add some material to the Jeep flywheel I have and make it work. 

one way or another I'll make it work.  

anybody know any good machine shops in HRM,   Dave mentioned Rods.  any other recommendations? 

3 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Ok so I checked and the jeep friction disk is way to big for the VW flywheel/pressure plate,  did some research to try and find either a smaller friction disk or bigger flywheel that would work and I've found nothing yet,   going to keep looking though.   I'm also going to stop by a machine shop tomorrow and see if they can add some material to the Jeep flywheel I have and make it work. 

one way or another I'll make it work.  

anybody know any good machine shops in HRM,   Dave mentioned Rods.  any other recommendations? 

Also is the VW flywheel an imbalance or netural balance flywheel, I believe the 4.0 flywheel is a neural balance. 

9 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

stupid question. what the difference? lol

An engine has to have a balance, so it will spin smooth, some engines are balanced internally like I believe a 4.0 is, that means the crank throw weights are machined to a specific weight.

An externally balanced engine has an imbalance machined into the flywheel and harmonic balancer at a specific point and specific amount. 

Mixing and matching imbalance and balanced parts has catastrophic failure on rotating parts like main bearings or worse broken crankshaft.

2 minutes ago, Powerram said:

An engine has to have a balance, so it will spin smooth, some engines are balanced internally like I believe a 4.0 is, that means the crank throw weights are machined to a specific weight.

An externally balanced engine has an imbalance machined into the flywheel and harmonic balancer at a specific point and specific amount. 

Mixing and matching imbalance and balanced parts has catastrophic failure on rotating parts like main bearings or worse broken crankshaft.

Thanks, I googled it as you were replying. :) lol I had assumed all engines were balanced internally never really thought about it much.      From what I found both the 4.0L and the VW TDI are internally balanced, so the flywheels should be both be neutrally balanced, by that logic i should have no issues with it.

On 2/20/2017 at 7:04 PM, Brunet-Hemi said:

is your flexplate currently installed? I'm not too worried about starter teeth, I'll  probably have to relocate the started anyway because of the turbo so I can adjust for that. 

I suck at explaining things so paint to the rescue.   Ideally if you could measure the distance (depth?, offset? whatever you want to call it) between the 2 mounting surfaces indicated. If your flexplate is still installed, then just measure what you can and let me know and I'll do some weird math or something to make it work. lol

again I appreciate this.rear_main_bearing.jpg

IMG_20170312_110027.jpg

Looks like 0.622. or 5/8" whichever you prefer

Archived