• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

going to Rifle Range Lane January 18th

danesS104x4

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alhtough I should, and someday I will, I currently don't own a stretchable recovery strap, just flat weave tow straps. I just got to laughing. You are supposed to size the kinectic strap to the weight of the vehicle. When I'm stuck and Dave Palmer is going to give me a tug, and I no doubt know it will help, there is a vast difference in the weight of the vehicles! Over a ton I'll bet! He may help me out with a steady pull, but I can picture using a big elastic, he might pop back to my end of the rope! :smiley-laughing021:

Alhtough I should, and someday I will, I currently don't own a stretchable recovery strap, just flat weave tow straps. I just got to laughing. You are supposed to size the kinectic strap to the weight of the vehicle. When I'm stuck and Dave Palmer is going to give me a tug, and I no doubt know it will help, there is a vast difference in the weight of the vehicles! Over a ton I'll bet! He may help me out with a steady pull, but I can picture using a big elastic, he might pop back to my end of the rope! :smiley-laughing021:

That would be a funny sight :smiley-music037: !

baaaahahahahaah ok now that i wiped the tears from my face fr laffing soo hard i will just say it would be like a flea on a horses arse ......last yr it took me and james tied together to winch u out eugene ........ohhh and by the way ,my signature says "jeep recovery team" not made for them "heavy chevys"...lol

One available from Smittybilt too... http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/100.htm

I believe this is the one Len (Roadtripper) has. Works well too!

Not sure what brand his is either, but you have evidence of it's use in the vid from the NN NSJC "Relay for Life" run when Len pulled Tyler out of a nasty hole.

Edit, found it. 3:44 mark of this vid in post # 53

http://www.backcountry4x4club.ca/forums/topic/3539-nsjc-relay-for-life-run-2013/?p=56631

I like this one better ($10 more & 10' longer), but then again, given the common mislabelling; until you see the package (if noted at all), you cannot be sure if it's a tow strap vs. recovery strap.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Other/3-in-x-30-ft-Recovery-Strap/8435125.p

& Eugene, sometimes all it takes is a little tug, in some cases a bigger one (mind out of the gutter folks). I've seen a 94-95 stock tracker pull a Chev dually out of the ditch.

I like this one better ($10 more & 10' longer), but then again, given the common mislabelling; until you see the package (if noted at all), you cannot be sure if it's a tow strap vs. recovery strap.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Other/3-in-x-30-ft-Recovery-Strap/8435125.p

& Eugene, sometimes all it takes is a little tug, in some cases a bigger one (mind out of the gutter folks). I've seen a 94-95 stock tracker pull a Chev dually out of the ditch.

The problem with that strap is the rating is much higher than most of our vehicles weigh, and wouldn't work in a kinetic manner. This would be good for full size rigs though.

Something to consider is a person's interpretation of 'recovery'. We are all using a similar definition here I think of recovering someone that is stuck in a good ol' mud hole or similar and we are looking for a stretchy 'rope'. But helping someone in a minor situation such as a small parking lot snow back, or even where the snowplow pushed a bank at the end of a driveway or up a wet grass back yard or icy driveway, may be someone's else's definition of a recovery.

I suspect there is no ISO/SAE/ANSI etc standard for recovery/tow ropes and straps and companies can call it what they want. In other words, read any fine print! They may say recovery on the package, but it may not be what you are thinking about.

An interesting point is there is no required standard for tow ratings on today's pickups............ Just because one manufacturer states a higher rating doesn't mean their vehicles can safely tow more, there is no standard for testing. Someone brought out a voluntary standard a couple of years ago, iirc, but almost no one is following it.

Archived