• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

going to Rifle Range Lane January 18th

danesS104x4

:facepalm: that's even worse! Apologies for preaching, but when you are putting that kind of stress / force on a tow rope (even worse, ratchet strap) they will very quickly snap and turn into lethal projectiles. They were not designed for tugging / bursts; especially a ratchet strap.

This is an excellent deal on recovery straps and, as the name suggests, they are suited for recoveries and can be jerked / snapped. They are built with elasticity (get one sized for your rig) so that when you're pulling on someone the strap will stretch and the kinetic energy will help yank the stuck vehicle out.

Recovery straps also do not have hooks on either end - if they break (rare) they just fall to the ground. A hook will quickly take your head off if it lets go.

Again, apologies for preaching, but it is important that you know the reason you shouldn't be using a tow rope or ratchet strap for recoveries. A lot of people don't know the difference between the different ropes / straps and how they should / should not be used.

Worth noting that the 'recovery' straps at PA are not kinetic recovery straps. The ones that I have even have small print saying not to use them for that... However, still much prefered over a tow strap or ratchet strap. Can't beat the price. I second the part about gettong one matched to the size of your truck, with recovery straps that are designed to stretch a bit bigger is not better. A 5000lb truck pulling on a 15000lb strap will not have sufficient force to make the strap strech.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what we dont like is a rope/strap with an integrated hook/ratchet or metal attatchment. Where the hook/ratchet/attachment becomes a missile when it fails.

As apposed to the recovery/kinetic rope that just have a loop at each end....which is much safer in the event of failure?

The hooks are one factor as well tow straps are rated for static pulls where a recovery strap is rated for kinetic pulls. That basically means that a tow strap has no give or elasticity and therefore will break if you try to pull someone out but a recovery strap will stretch and contain kinetic energy which will aid in pulling a vehicle out. Bubba rope has a great video on youtube where you can really see it.

Because it has stretch its also not as hard on both vehicles and is less likely to cause damage.

Worth noting that the 'recovery' straps at PA are not kinetic recovery straps. The ones that I have even have small print saying not to use them for that...

Are you sure about that? I'm certain that mine is kinetic, but it is a few years old.

PA still shows them on their website, they are white with yellow end loops and are made by Erickson.

Yeah I know a bit about the recovery straps cause I grew up in North Bay ontario, so there's a lot of offroading and snow driving to be had! At the time all I had was my 10,000 lb ratchet strap, maybe would have been safer to take the ratcheting part off, thanks for the tips tho, I'll keep it all in mind next time. I guess it's easy to forget about safety when your excited and rushing to do something! Safety first! I like the idea of having one that stores kinetic energy, it's one more thing I'd like to buy along with a set of new shocks, springs, tires, wheels, and an axle! Spent so much money on my 4x4 lately :( I guess thats life tho, hobbies like this aren't cheap!

Ya, please don't consider it a "lecture" I want to make sure that you know the difference between the different types of straps and also a general PSA so others don't make the same mistake.

Jay - that's the same strap I have

I want to learn whenever I can. after all I am a newbie :) Its all a learning experience for me and I enjoy very much when someone can point me in the right direction. I don't mean lecture in a bad way at all. miss use of words there :)

Are you sure about that? I'm certain that mine is kinetic, but it is a few years old.

PA still shows them on their website, they are white with yellow end loops and are made by Erickson.

Here's my PA strap

2014-01-19+10-05-44-452.jpg
2014-01-19+10-07-31-039.jpg

Seems that one from PA fits the bill. I think one of mine is the same brand so it should be good too. I have purchased a strap branded as a 'recovery' strap from princess auto in the past only to get home and find a little slip of paper in the package saying that it is not to be used for kinetic/stretch recovery.

I guess the key here is to make sure you know what your buying and don't assume because it says recovery on the front that it actually is a kinetic strap.

Again, make sure your strap is properly sized for the task at hand. If it is rated to high, it will not stretch.

Seems that one from PA fits the bill. I think one of mine is the same brand so it should be good too. I have purchased a strap branded as a 'recovery' strap from princess auto in the past only to get home and find a little slip of paper in the package saying that it is not to be used for kinetic/stretch recovery.

I guess the key here is to make sure you know what your buying and don't assume because it says recovery on the front that it actually is a kinetic strap.

Again, make sure your strap is properly sized for the task at hand. If it is rated to high, it will not stretch.

Hmmm, mine also said recovery on it. I don't remember seeing a slip of paper in it, but I probably just ripped it out of the package and through it in the back of the Jeep. I'll have to have a look at closer it to see if I need to get a new one or not.

Hmmm, mine also said recovery on it. I don't remember seeing a slip of paper in it, but I probably just ripped it out of the package and through it in the back of the Jeep. I'll have to have a look at closer it to see if I need to get a new one or not.

It is looking like the Erikson branded straps are the ones to have. The ones I specifically remember picking up were some other brand. I returned them once I found the slip of paper saying it wasn't actually what the packaging says it was. There may be something on the tag sewn onto the strap to confirm what you have.

An actual bubba rope would be pretty sweet though..... a few more dollars!

Ya, please don't consider it a "lecture" I want to make sure that you know the difference between the different types of straps and also a general PSA so others don't make the same mistake.

Jay - that's the same strap I have.

I would rather hurt someone's feelings with a "lecture" than have them (or someone they are with) get hit by a flying shackle or hook...

I would rather hurt someone's feelings with a "lecture" than have them (or someone they are with) get hit by a flying shackle or hook...

Agreed. But we need to be very careful how the "lecture" is delivered, to ensure it is not taken in a negative way... This is about learning better and safer ways of doing things. We do not want people deciding not to be a part of an otherwise great group because of how a "lecture" is delivered.

Archived