• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

bleeding brakes

e36m3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i ll bring it to the dealership for that, they have to mess with the abs system with their scan to clear the codes i m getting, and i really dont feel like bleeding the proportioning valve. i usually do most of the myself, but i m getting frustrated now and will probably break something since i cant keep my calm

i ll remove my alternator and bring it to a shop to get it rebuilt. i just bought the lift kit, upper control arms, the tires and did 4 calipers on the truck plus all new rotors and pads, i really dont have the cash for 600$ alternator now.

Re-build is the way to go. I haven't had to replace the alt on the X yet, which is surprising as it sits as the lowest part of the system on the passenger's side and always gets dunked in muddy H2O. A new alt for my X is $620 at the dealership, $350 ($45 core) at NAPA and a re-build is $90.

Some people with Xterras have installed higher output alt's (225+A vs. 130A OEM) and had the same failure rate when water/mud gets involved. I run A LOT of accessories and have yet to have the alt not run them...though I will admit that I've not had the 6 PIAA's on while winching, so I'm sure that there's a fault/situation that could occur.

mine is not that low, but i guess offroading comes with a price. and that price aint cheap. thats what i think too, no matter how much you pay an alternator or a starter, they still drink water, mud and eat sand.

but i guess offroading comes with a price. and that price aint cheap.

Potential quote of the year (well, I hacked/shortened it a bit ;) ). "You have to pay to play" is another favorite along with "It's not miles per gallon; it's smiles per gallon".

I've spent almost $2K on maintenance/repairs in the past 4-6 months as well, and I already have a 3" lift (additional $2k). Most of it is normal wear items (brakes, ball joints, wheel hub assembly, etc.) and it all adds up, especially for imports! Just make sure you plan to keep the FJ until it dies...last year I spent $450, but that included oil changes, an AC recharge and 1 unit bearing (@ $225).

I still have plans for additional changes that the pocket book does not allow for today, so this disease will continue for quite some time...just like everyone else here...

Yup, im averaging 8~grand a year over the past three years, but it runs like a fckin champ!

$8K???

ETA, read the post again and I think you're saying 800-1k/ year.

~ is often used to indicate "approximately", at least in banking symbols/abbreviations.

$8K???

ETA, read the post again and I think you're saying 800-1k/ year.

~ is often used to indicate "approximately", at least in banking symbols/abbreviations.

8000 +/- 2000$ , i believe this year will be closer to that upper average as I have already spent over 6, and have a big repair/maintenance plan for next month.. And the body damage from the past two years too...

Albeit i dont need to spend that much on it, I do some big overhauls as preventative maintenance and replace a lot of stuff to make it seem like new, although it is starting to get to be a high mileage vehicle if I ever do sell it someone will be getting a sweet ride for the price.

I am already thinking of buying a newer but same generation 4runner. Mine is paid off in January...

when my rig is paid off, I'm getting an older landcruiser. probably an fj62 or fj80. by that time i will be on another set of tires, those are gonna be 35s and my girlfriend will wheel the FJ Cruiser. it would be cheaper to keep that truck and get one with a solid front axle and build it than to SAS my FJ... but yeah, we're planning on keeping this one for a bit, same for the Matrix my girlfriend bought 2 months ago

when my rig is paid off, I'm getting an older landcruiser. probably an fj62 or fj80. by that time i will be on another set of tires, those are gonna be 35s and my girlfriend will wheel the FJ Cruiser. it would be cheaper to keep that truck and get one with a solid front axle and build it than to SAS my FJ... but yeah, we're planning on keeping this one for a bit, same for the Matrix my girlfriend bought 2 months ago

Agreed might as well keep it love it treat it nicely with maintenance and drive it till it dies. Haha

As i said its a personal choice to sink that kind of money, i definitely dont need to spend that much but I like to have a very well maintained vehicle. This toyota has been a great suv, everyone should drive one to see how nice they are, im on the hunt for the last model year of that geration an 09 sport v8 with the rare trd supercharger. That as daily driver and the current 04' as trail rig.

I paid aprox 3G for my truck and have had it just 2.5 years.

In that 2.5 years I have spent 6G on it so far and I do almost all my own work.

It's only been on 2 trips with the club and it's currently not working.

I would rather sink money into fixing up a classic than the same money or more on fixing stuff that doesn't need fixing yet on a newer modern vehicle...

Guys - what we wheel is a personal choice. Not everyone wants an older rig and not everyone wants a Wrangler.

In the end who gives a **** what anyone else is driving as long as they are having fun and getting out on the trails.

Just as long as its not a nissan!

Archived