• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Beating a dead horse!

FLTLNR

I understand how it is worded and read, however, insurance companies are refusing to insure modified vehicles, even those that they had insured in the past.

3 members have encountered this issue in the past 2 months. Just make a couple calls to get quotes to see what I'm talking about. Tell them upfront that you have a suspespension lift and they will tell you your vehicle is high risk and charge you an unbelievable premium.

The broker who was able to get me coverage at a reasonable cost, mentioned the changes as of April 2013 and was telling me that this situation is going to escalate as renewal dates approach, though the changes she spoke of could be industry based, not legislative. Any vehicle with a modified suspension is now deemed high risk and that includes cars that are lowered.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 members have encountered this issue in the past 2 months. Just make a couple calls to get quotes to see what I'm talking about. Tell them upfront that you have a suspespension lift and they will tell you your vehicle is high risk and charge you an unbelievable premium.

This has always been an issue; I think the insurance companies are using the law changes as a crutch.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/regulations/regs/iautoup.htm

This document clearly states that an insurance company cannot:

(a) refuse to issue a contract;

(b) refuse to renew a contract;

© terminate a contract; or

(d) refuse to provide or continue any coverage or endorsement in respect of a contract,

(2) The prohibited grounds for refusal or termination for the purposes of subsection (1) are

(a) the age of the insured, the applicant, or any other person who is or would be an insured under the contract;

(b) the sex or marital status of the insured, the applicant, or any other person who is or would be an insured under the contract;

© the age of the vehicle that is or would be insured under the contract, unless the vehicle

(i) is an antique vehicle,

(ii) is a reconstructed vehicle, or

(iii) has been substantially modified for enhanced performance;

Discuss :D

I think that Scott and James are correct. The insurance companies are starting to enforce rules that they did not in the past. A lot of it is likely due to the amount of $$ people are now spending on modifying their vehicles.

These changes were probably encouraged quietly from our government to avoid the backlash directly from the owners of modded vehicles...

:ninja: ***pulls tinfoil hat out of drawer and slowly puts on head...*** :ninja:

James borrow my hat....

P1080014.jpg

On a Serious Note.

It doesn't take much to sink 10K into a vech. I just renewed my Insurance nothing was said about modification ( only my electrical equipment ) Just went down to 58.71 a month.

DCPD means that your insurance company pays for your damages regardless of who is at fault. They cannot and do not go after the other company. That is for vehicle to vehicle claims only. The example above of vehicle to house is different.

They did not provide the carrier, will find out. Just been informed they got another carrier to approve, waiting to find out who, 614 for the year, 52 a month and no down payment. This is from AA Munroe broker and the agent is Aneill MacCaull

Will give them a contact as well, this started as just an exploratory search to see what I would be told at different brokers IE the modifications. Now its turning into new insurance hunt lol.

ABC with Raielle was more expensive than current, but still good pricing, Jeep was under 500 a year, Julies car was 710 a year, and apartment 209 a year. Monthly payments were 15 dollars more per month than our current one.

update! although not much.

more traffic back and forth, but as of right now the underwriter wants to know the cost of the parts and install. i sent off saying total cost would = appx 24,000$

Archived