• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Beating a dead horse!

FLTLNR

Ok, so this may stir the hornets nest again, and thats not so bad. As we are all aware there are and have been many changes to NS and/or NS insurance law. The following is a transcription of my email traffic with my insurance company. As I collect more information I will pass it on if anyone is interested.

As per a normal email conversation read bottom to top.

UPDATE: READ BOTTOM TO TOP, I also may not have edited it fully, so let me know.

nope all good, your policy has a memo on it from my U/W.
Agent

Sent: June 20, 2013 3:45 PM
To: AGENT
Subject: Re: Modification
Ok. But to be absolutely clear, other than "performance" parts, such as intakes and what not, there is NO restriction to my policy???

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-06-20, at 4:43 PM, AGENT wrote:
To be honest I can not tell you until we have receipts and can forward to head office,but for now don't worry and go ahead on your changes.
Agent

Sent: June 20, 2013 2:22 PM
To: AGENT
Its quite alright.
I am just wondering what impact it will have. This will be a work in progress over a couple of years. To that end i would like to see the results from your end before hand so i know what i can and cannot do.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-06-20, at 2:58 PM, AGENT wrote:
So sorry please move forward with modifications, just when complete provide me with receipts and we will amend your policy.
Cheers
Agent

Sent: June 19, 2013 6:37 PM
To:
I was wondering there is any news? Just as a reminder, the estimated cost of modification is 22,000$ or more. Please let me know asap.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-06-12, at 2:04 PM, <AGENT wrote:
My last email was looking for the total amount of costs for the upgrade.
Agent
insurance
Agent

Sent: May 29, 2013 4:11 PM
To: insurance
Subject: RE: Modification

insurance

Thanks again for getting back to me. So the (list of) things i intend on doing are as follows;

Full Traction: CRC link conversion (replaces rear tract bar)
part # FTS7380
Rubicon Express: 3.5" Super Flex Short Arm Suspension (or equivalent when i decide on company)
part # RE7143M
Teraflex: Replacement front axle
part # #3544000
Tom Woods: 2x 1350 series drive shafts (these heavily reinforce the shafts)
S-Pod: Electrical relay system for lighting etc.
Rigid Industries: LED light bars (or equivalent)
Air Raid: cold air intake
AFE: high tuck exhaust /e loop delete and extension
AEM: Replacement hood (allows better air flow)
Any: CB radio /w antenna
Any: rock slider (these reduce potential damage to side of vehicle well above stock)
Any: reinforced skid plates
Any: offroad front and rear bumper /w tire carrier
Any: possible change differential gears to 4.88 vs the 4.10 stock
Any: 35" or 37" wheel/tire combination

This list is not all inclusive but give you a very clear idea as to my intentions. Everything here is thoroughly thought out and is not done on a whim.

Subject: RE: Modification
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:48:15 -0400
To: steven.epple

Okay I understand, give me exactly what you want to do to your vehicle again and I will take it to our under writers and see if I can get an answer for you.
Cheers
insurance
Agent

From insurance today.

Hello again,
Thanks for the list my U/W Michelle is out sick so I took this to my manager. He said that basically if you effect the air flow or performance of the vehicle it could be an issue. Other then that what have listed seems fine. But you will have to get an appraisal and this will change your coverage. He has asked to to confirm with my U/W so my hope is she will be in on Friday.

Sent: May 28, 2013 7:08 PM
To: insurance
insurance, Access Nova Scotia tried to pass the law and it failed. A person in my club said that as of april 1 2013 the insurance companies in this province require any vehicle (lifted or lowered) to be engineer certified. Allstate was directly referenced in this.
Also, I had contacted you directly when i owned my dodge ram 1500 regarding a similar question (prior to april 1) and I was led to understand that i would have to report the cost of the modifications, as well as cost of installation and it would be covered similar to content insurance.
If this is not the case, then what are the exact rulings on modifications to a vehicle. Keep in mind I intend to lift among other things.
Thank you and sorry for the troubles.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-05-28, at 10:16 AM, insurance
Good morning Steve,
Unfortunately I have no answers on this, what you need to do is contact Access Nova Scotia they should be able to assist you.
Cheers
insurance

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ECHO, ECHO, ECHO....lol

That is how my conversation/experience started! I have since spoken to numerous people with drop bracket lifted (mall crawling) FS trucks and 4 of them either have to remove the lift, have it certified or go to the same company that will insure horrible drivers ($$$$).

Keep us posted. A lot more of us on this forum will be experiencing this soon.

Only thing I got from my insurance company recently was.

About how much they cap for electronic that may be in the vech, That covers sound systems, CBs etc.. Basically they will write off the car if the car is cheaper then the electronics.

A person in my club said that as of april 1 2013 the insurance companies in this province require any vehicle (lifted or lowered) to be engineer certified.

Oh my jesus, here we go again. Where was this stated?

There was a lift law that the Government tried to pass last year (or was it two years ago?) and it was killed before it really got anywhere. The new insurance laws as of April 1, 2013 change the way liability payout works - it's complicated as a mofo, but basically if you get in an accident your insurance company pays out to repair your vehicle, regardless of fault.

I tried to wrap my head around it and read it over front to back a few times - nowhere in the new insurance laws does it say anything about lifted or lowered vehicles. I think you are confusing two separate issues and to beat the dead horse of lift law will not do us any good.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but please DO NOT refer to this club in any way, shape, or form when talking to your insurance agent (this goes for anyone). We do not want to get in the middle of this.

Also also, you might want to edit out your broker's info - he might not appreciate being directly quoted on a public message board; especially given the company's legal disclaimer at the bottom of the email which you also transcribed: "This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed." lol

deadhorse.gif

Having only been back in NS for 2 1/2 years, I'm perplexed by all the posts about insurance and modified vehicles. Is it because insurance companies won't insure these vehicles or because you can't get appropriate coverage for a modded vehicle? To be honest, I've never asked my insurance company and they've never mentioned anything about to me, even though I park in their driveway numerous times per year.

Having only been back in NS for 2 1/2 years, I'm perplexed by all the posts about insurance and modified vehicles. Is it because insurance companies won't insure these vehicles or because you can't get appropriate coverage for a modded vehicle? To be honest, I've never asked my insurance company and they've never mentioned anything about to me, even though I park in their driveway numerous times per year.

Your 2" lift isn't overly noticeable so wouldn't raise any questions. But show up in front of their place with it SASed, 6" or more lift, and 35" (or bigger) tires and they may ask questions.

All of the recent changes as of 2013 Insurance Laws have to do with which company has to repair the vehicle(s) involved in the accident. Effective April 1st, the company that insures the owner is responsible to cover the costs associated with the owner's vehicle. Previous to this change, most insurance companies based their decision to insure on the owner's driving record, regardless of modifications. With the new policy, a lot of insurance companies are classifying lifted, lowered, customized vehicles as high risk do to the cost for replacements parts. In my case, as an example, one front Radflo coil over with an Eibach spring sells for ~$600...a stock replacement is ~ $300.

My previous insurance company was aware of the modifications to my X prior to the change in the laws. It wasn't until they realized that they would have to pay to repairs to my vehicle (regardless of fault) that they were going to deny my renewal. Business is business and they will be dropping people a lot. For those who have not notified your insurance provider, you are most at risk of not being covered regardless if you are at fault or not. If they can find a reason not to pay, they will not pay! The changes made to the provincial rules could have you left flapping in the wind.

One important thing to note is the difference between your insurance company and your insurance broker. Your broker gets a commission based on the amount of your premium. Your premium is payed to your insurance company. Your insurance company is in charge and makes all the decisions about coverage and liability and cost.

One important thing to note is the difference between your insurance company and your insurance broker. Your broker gets a commission based on the amount of your premium. Your premium is payed to your insurance company. Your insurance company is in charge and makes all the decisions about coverage and liability and cost.

Valid point. My previous insurance company was client direct; it was an insurance broker who took pics to send them to the insurance company for review. That worked for me!

I understand the "dont site the club" which is why i didnt name names. moving on. I beating this horse because i am looking for clarification. I tried talking to different companies regarding this issue, as well as people who have dealt with it personally. Everyone has an opinion and and experience, vastly different than the last. If my agent says there are specific things that can/must be done to save my ***, and i can pass it on to someone else, I will spread the news. The above email traffic is confidential in the sense that should it be sent by accident to someone else it is to be destroyed. If i choose to publish it, I am not breaching security. Not like where my job, should i even HINT at specifics of what I do, im up a foul smelling river without a paddle. Anyways, Im just putting it out there.

I understand the "dont site the club" which is why i didnt name names. moving on. I beating this horse because i am looking for clarification. I tried talking to different companies regarding this issue, as well as people who have dealt with it personally. Everyone has an opinion and and experience, vastly different than the last. If my agent says there are specific things that can/must be done to save my a**, and i can pass it on to someone else, I will spread the news. The above email traffic is confidential in the sense that should it be sent by accident to someone else it is to be destroyed. If i choose to publish it, I am not breaching security. Not like where my job, should i even HINT at specifics of what I do, im up a foul smelling river without a paddle. Anyways, Im just putting it out there.

Definately good to have the information out there if it helps anyone else. But it seems to me that there are many different experiences and it varies depending on the insurance company/broker that you talk to and also who you (for example, my previous insurer, wawanesa, would not go near my Rover but I know others who have very similar Rovers and use them like I do who have never had a problem with that same company...)

That being said, names or no names when you say something like "a person in my club said..." many people will assume that is the viewpoint of the club as opposed to the view of an individual who happens to be a member of the same club... regardless of what you mean, ment or actually said.

As far as the email traffic is concerned, there may or may not be a "security breach" of some sort when it comes to publishing it, I am not sure. What I am sure of is if I were carrying on an email conversation with you and it was published in a public forum (whether online or off) without my knowledge and permission to do so, I would not be happy about it. Perhaps you did get permission.. I can not be sure.

So, definately get the info out here for others to learn from but perhaps be a bit less specific.... a little less copy and paste.

For those who have not notified your insurance provider, you are most at risk of not being covered regardless if you are at fault or not. If they can find a reason not to pay, they will not pay! The changes made to the provincial rules could have you left flapping in the wind.

This is the biggest risk.

For those who have not notified your insurance provider, you are most at risk of not being covered regardless if you are at fault or not. If they can find a reason not to pay, they will not pay! The changes made to the provincial rules could have you left flapping in the wind.

This is the biggest risk.

Yes, and since with the new rules, THEY have to pay to fix yours. Rather than going after the other guy's insurance co., they will want to get out of paying when the accident is not your fault. Just like the other guy's company trying to get out of paying to fix your vehicle when it was his fault, under the old rules.

Also consider that it's not only the vehicle(s), it's also the liability coverage that is lost! You drive into someone's house, smack a bus full of people who sustain injuries, etc...you're potentially in the wind and in court!

Does anyone have the link to the actual official declaration of this change and the ability to decipher how the government writes it? I think something is being missed in the change that needs more research. That being said.........should be interesting when I switch vehicles.

Reading that I can see that we put the claim with our own insurance company, nothing states that our insurance company is not able to go after the other one for those damages afterwards. Which in turn means that the at fault company still pays we just don't have to worry about dealing with them.

Reading that I can see that we put the claim with our own insurance company, nothing states that our insurance company is not able to go after the other one for those damages afterwards. Which in turn means that the at fault company still pays we just don't have to worry about dealing with them.

Bingo.

Archived