• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Beating a dead horse!

FLTLNR

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So some calls are being made, they may or may not insure my vech if its lifted. I told them I plan a small 2" they said they may insure it if I keep receipts of the shop that installed it, but ill have to do more digging. I'm happy with only paying 58$/mo and keeping a stock profile.

So they're doing its fine, its not fine, its fine, its not fine...So no clear cut answer. The broker is gonna call economical and find out.

When it is something as litlle as a 2" or 2.5" kit, essentially it is just a levelling kit. MOST insurance adjusters would not even notice it when assesing accident damage.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Command, you have a leveling kit so make sure you word it that way ;)

I wonder if there is a difference if you say you've installed a "leveling kit" vs. a complete swap of aftermarket suspension components?

I will ask that question as well, since I plan on switching out the suspension eventually. Would be interesting to see if they even differentiate between a leveling kit and a lift ki.

When it is something as litlle as a 2" or 2.5" kit, essentially it is just a levelling kit. MOST insurance adjusters would not even notice it when assesing accident damage.

True, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Minus the spacers between the springs/struts. But any accident with my truck would write it off anyways. It not my truck I'm worried about ( I write it off I write it off ) Its the liability if, in a accident, The insurance company covering the others, and not out of pocket for injuries expenses. If I plead stupid. Thats what I'm worried about.

It not my truck I'm worried about ( I write it off I write it off ) Its the liability if, in a accident, The insurance company covering the others, and not out of pocket for injuries expenses. If I plead stupid. Thats what I'm worried about.

Thats what I'm concerned with as well. If I write my truck then so be it, but the last thing I want happen is for my insurance company to say "the injuries/damage would not have been so bad if you didn't have the lift on" or something along those lines, and not covering anything.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Command, you have a leveling kit so make sure you word it that way ;)

I'd also be careful about how to declare mods; lift vs leveling - the insurer could turn it on you in the event of a claim.

You don't want to declare a leveling kit, only to be told after a claim that it's a lift kit.... and vice-versa.

To be sure, isn't it down to the insurer to determine?

This is why I am open when I went for insurance, I informed I have a lift kit, and the size of it. Funny enough Raielle used to live in an apartment that was in direct view of my parking space and knew exactly what mine looked like. Again, being honest in the first place is best.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, bit of an update my way. Got an email back from my adjuster (granted 2 weeks later.....) and she said she submitted the question to the underwriter and that I am to call her when I get the chance to. I never said it was anything useful.....just an update :P

Gave her a call today and she said that they don't like modified vehicles (oh crap lol) the term "modified" was explained to me as "a car with modifications done with the intent or more likely to street race" which a lift/leveling kit obviously is not meant for.

She said that they do not deal with this on a regular basis but the underwriter will be emailing me in the near future. She confirmed that there is no law stating you cannot have a lift kit, but insurance companies are bending the "modified vehicle" definition to include these kits and possibly bigger tires (since technically it is a modification) as well.

Anyways it should be interesting to see what happens.

Gave her a call today and she said that they don't like modified vehicles (oh crap lol) the term "modified" was explained to me as "a car with modifications done with the intent or more likely to street race" which a lift/leveling kit obviously is not meant for.

She said that they do not deal with this on a regular basis but the underwriter will be emailing me in the near future. She confirmed that there is no law stating you cannot have a lift kit, but insurance companies are bending the "modified vehicle" definition to include these kits and possibly bigger tires (since technically it is a modification) as well.

Anyways it should be interesting to see what happens.

It's not a car... :smiley-music037:

There is no "bending" the definition of a modified vehicle to include lifted vehicles. She NARROWED the definition in the statement above.

By definition, a vehicle is "modified" if you change anything from STOCK, stock being the way it came from the factory originally.

oh i forgot to mention that i edited first post.

i got second confirmation and a "memo" on my file with insurance that ALL MODIFICATIONS(other than those of the performance type (ie: intake, exhaust)) are fully legal and approved. All i have to do is provide receipts for the parts and installation and it will be covered similar to "content" insurance.

oh i forgot to mention that i edited first post.

i got second confirmation and a "memo" on my file with insurance that ALL MODIFICATIONS(other than those of the performance type (ie: intake, exhaust)) are fully legal and approved. All i have to do is provide receipts for the parts and installation and it will be covered similar to "content" insurance.

Sounds like your insurance company is daft. Will insure a lifted rig but not if it has a intake or exhaust. Which does NOTHING Other then alters the sound.

Archived