• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

2010 Frontier Pro 4X

Command

I just use blogger.com to post as it's a lot easier than making pages and it integrates into my google hosted domain.

Since it's a blog, the published pages go in date order, and I want a 'static' introduction page. So I future dated that page it so it always stays at the top :)

There's probably a smarter way to add a page, but I can't get it to work.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my new leaf pack in today, not to bad all things considered. Didn't even have a seized bolt, the only hard part was getting the new pack to line up properly. Although once the centre bolt dropped in place it just needed some gentle persuasion lol

I torqued the eyelet bolts to 100ft/lb and the u-bolts to 30ft/lb not sure what they should be but that seems about right to me.

Old leaf that broke

post-698-0-69678100-1422745082_thumb.jpg

One of a few dammit moments lol. The bolt to get the leaf off is against my exhaust pipe, courtesy of the shackle

post-698-0-74385800-1422745184_thumb.jpg

New leaf pack installed, finally.

post-698-0-66943900-1422745357_thumb.jpg

Not Sure if anyone else has had this issue or not but my roof rack makes alot of noise, and I don't mean wind noise. Every little bump the whole rack makes a knocking and/or thunking noise and bounces on the roof. Well I finally got around to taking a look at it and fixing it. Discovered that the mounting hardware is all stripped and there's virtually nothing holding on my center cross bar. I also replaced the torx screws that hold the bar to the rack with bigger bolts. I took er offroad and it didn't rattle nearly as much, it still does a bit but I can live with it :P

Removed the cross bar (which was quite easy, just slid er off)

post-698-0-84491500-1423353860_thumb.jpg

Replaced old torx screws with larger self tapping screws

post-698-0-33223400-1423353905_thumb.jpg

That empty hold I replcaed that screw with a bolt

post-698-0-47660000-1423353922_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow......it's been awhile, but nothings changed *shifty eyes* just kidding!

Ok so here's what I've done now:

Added a custom aluminum tonneau cover and installed a rail system on it. Added a  new light bar (yes I found a spot to put it lol) so I have a 36" bar in the bumper mouth, 30" HD bar on the roof and a 20" bar on my rear bumper. Also have flush mount led reverse lights. I now have rock lights as well. I think that's it, here's a few pictures :) tmp_13376-20150912_130602556661578.thumbtmp_13376-2015-09-29_21.33.15-535862672.tmp_13376-2015-09-29_21.35.59-1545222154

Thanks for the update, I was wondering what happened to a couple of folks!  You were one!

Now where is Sam, 04 Runner?  Lol

haha yeah got busy for a bit and forgot to update :p

Wow that rig is looking awesome! Any plans on making it back for a bit of wheeling?

Thanks! I'm hoping to make er back this year sometime but who knows.

So.......random question :) I was towing my trailer the other day (20' flat deck) and noticed that my fuel mileage was horrible. Now I realize that it will suffer a bit but I went through half a tank in less than 100km.  Mostly highway and flat roads, and the trailer was empty. Trailer weighs about 800lbs, but cruise control couldn't keep it at speed and was constantly down shifting.  I tried with CC off and OD off but same thing, constant down shifting  and  the torque converter engaging and disengaging.  Does this sound right? I  haven't towed to many trailers with mine yet so this may be normal. Thanks.

Always turn off your overdrive when towing.

That's good advice and I usually do.  I was just doing some troubleshooting on a flat surface while it was unloaded.

Does the trailer have brakes? If it does, maybe they were sticking, and causing extra drag?

It does yes, I did check the wheels and they all spin freely with very little drag.

A 20' flat deck at 800 lbs?  My 18' flat deck car hauler, double axle, with 6 foot tongue (total 24'), I figure weighs at least a ton.

Yours a utility trailer?

I think that's because it was a car hauler, designed for heavy weight.  Mine was a old 1978 Prowler Camper that was converted to a utility trailer, so they kept the weight to a minimum to begin with.  Once converted all the sides and rails were built out of wood, again it kept the weight down.  I can easily lift it and re-position it by myself.  I have no official weight for it so I'm only estimating :)

Show us a picture of the trailer :) !

Here it is!  Truck is a little different (old pic) but that's the trailer

FB_IMG_1444237945893.thumb.jpg.6665ce30d

• 3 weeks later...

So after some trail related adventures and testing out the new system I wondered why my front end was bottoming out so easily and spongey. Discovered today that the coil overs that were installed were the economy version of the Monroe Sensa Trac shocks.

So what coilovers would you guys recommend? I looked at King and Fox but they are stupid expensive. I'm not doing any racing so I don't see the point.

Basically I want coil overs and shocks  that can take a beating and keep going, so far I'm thinking radflo's from PRG.

Archived