• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

2010 Frontier Pro 4X

Command

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that this is gonna clear anything up and probably offer more confusion than anything I did find this.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

If we use that chart I would have 10 ply sidewalls cause I have an LT with the E Load range........ffs haha

That ply rating is for the tread, not the sidewall. If you ran a 10 ply sidewall, it would be called a "run flat" and ride like a wagon wheel ;)

I received the same tonight, however, I did not specify a size...

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 200

Innovation Way Akron, OH 44316-0001 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site and for your interest in Goodyear tires. The DuraTrac has a two ply sidewall. If you require a 3 p;y sidewall you might want to consider the Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar.

Barbara

Consumer Relations

I received the same tonight, however, I did not specify a size...

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 200

Innovation Way Akron, OH 44316-0001 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site and for your interest in Goodyear tires. The DuraTrac has a two ply sidewall. If you require a 3 p;y sidewall you might want to consider the Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar.

Barbara

Consumer Relations

That blows! They're such a good all around tire, it would be nice if they made them a little stronger. I wouldn't mind trying the MT/R's though.

Looks nice with the new meats, did you get a chance to play it the little bit of snow our here in alberta?

Thanks, actually no I didn't :( where I am the snow didnt last very long and whenever I was in Calgary I kept just missing the storm. I did find some mud out here (not alot, but enough) and noticed that I didn't even spin a tire nor did they clog up, so far so good :)

Ive seen bad reviews all over

You talking about the MT/R's? Throughout my research I've actually found more negative reviews about them then the Duratracs. Alot believe it or not were sidewall issues, punctures, rock rash etc. Other issues were hard to balance, out of round, awful in snow, bad in heavy rain etc. Not sure how accurate this is but it seems to be the trend, again tons of variables involved but the sidewall issue keeps coming up with these.

MT's suck in the snow...period!

I must admit that I am very disappointed to hear about the 2 ply sidewall. I've been researching online and have seen many people post about 3 ply in certain sizes. I'm still leaning heavily towards the Duratrac as I ran Bridgestone Revo2's that were P rated (2 ply sidewall as well) for the first 4 years I owned the X without an issue. This included some very challenging trails when they were at their end of life.

I sent the following response back to GY in hopes that people will listen:

Thank-you for your response in regards to the Duratrac sidewall, however, your alternative is not a valid option as MT's are horrible (borderline dangerous) in the snow & ice. In my area, we encounter snow & icy roads for 4-5 months of the year. Maybe something could be changed to address this issue to make the Duratrac the #1 tire to go to as opposed to BFG?

I wonder if Canadian Tire offers warranty replacement on the LT line of tires?? (paging James, would you please chime in? lol). The "Territory" line of tires on your Heep, are they LT or P rated?

LT and I purchased the replacement warranty, in the event of having unrepairable damage (ex. sidewall...). I used the warranty last January after I sliced a sidewall while aired down to 10psi when playing around in Hard & Soft after one of our blizzards. Warranty was worth every penny B) .

LT and I purchased the replacement warranty, in the event of having unrepairable damage (ex. sidewall...). I used the warranty last January after I sliced a sidewall while aired down to 10psi when playing around in Hard & Soft after one of our blizzardsblizzards. Warranty was worth every penny B) .

Just about to say the same, I have LT's and was offered warranty as well. Now the twist (for me, most normal people won't have this issue) I bought them from CT, CT offered me the warranty, CT did not install tires therefore will not warranty them, got them installed somewhere else, will not warranty them cause I did not buy the tires from them. Ugh...lol

Interesting. Appears I'll pull a "James manoeuver" and arrive with the rims in hand. I have a set of 16" steelies that I was going to mount dedicated winters, but the more I think about, it's an unnecessary expense as I only put 10k/year on the Xterra. Also, the only time I air down is in the winter for additional foot-print in deep snow. Haven't had an issue...yet.

Just about to say the same, I have LT's and was offered warranty as well. Now the twist (for me, most normal people won't have this issue) I bought them from CT, CT offered me the warranty, CT did not install tires therefore will not warranty them, got them installed somewhere else, will not warranty them cause I did not buy the tires from them. Ugh...lol

Yup, warranty only at the time and place of purchase and installation! Ouch!

• 4 months later...

Simple, but...

Generally the main leaf doesn't break. Then really all you're doing is replacing one leaf. Take the wheel off, support the frame, support the axle, unbolt the U-bolts, and the centre bolt, put in a new leaf, bolt back up. Have the right leaf: length, thickness, width and arch, on hand? And have U-bolts made up? Not likely.

Bit of a PITA.

In general, on a daily driver without a spare vehicle, ya take it to the spring shop and say I'll pick it up tonight!

Depends on your time, spare vehicle, garage, jack stands, big wrenches / impact gun, etc.

A broken main leaf is a bigger PITA, ya have to remove old spring bushings.

I did a main leaf a couple years ago. I was some happy I noticed the crack in it before it broke on the highway with disastrous results!

And DO NOT RE_USE U-bolts on a daily driver.

It was a helper spring that broke, a 6"chunk flew off after going over a rail crossing. I'll be replacing the whole leaf pack, ordered it in from Nissan. I'm hoping it comes with the hardware as well.

I'm 45 mins away from the nearest shop, figure out of convenience I'll try it myself.

So all I'd be doing is removing one pack and putting in a new one.

As you say, hopefully you get the hardware. You won't need a centre bolt, but you will need U-bolts and likely new bushings and shackle bolts for the main leaf. Or I'm just used to working on 30 yr-old ****! lol After ya get 'er all back together, RE_TIGHTEN those U-bolts after 100 miles! Twice! With long wrenches / ratchet handles!

For an older vehicle, expect sag on the old springs, if you put a new pack on one side, she might be lop-sided for a while. At a spring shop, they often change the same leaf on both sides so she stays level.

Archived