• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Battery Recommendations

autumnwalker

I did that - truck sat overnight (couple days ago) and measured it with 12.7v between the battery terminals. Turned headlights on (but truck off) and measured 11.7v. Turned headlights off and immediately took another reading 12.1v.

I have not done a voltage drop test though (between -'ve terminal on battery and engine block / ground). I might go try that now. Anything more than -0.5v indicates bad ground from what I understand.

Best test, physically check every ground, take it off, use some sand paper and clean them reinstall.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice diagnostics :) As mrjoecanadien (yes I spelled it correctly with an 'e', I'm a Montreal fan ;) ) I've chased issue like this before only to find that was not the solution. What battery are you getting (suspecting OEM)?

Damn habs fans, don't even know how to spell, and they pick the worse hockey team.

Was good seeing you at Costco Scott, I hear good things about the batteries, as mentioned Rick (Runs GMtunerz) lives down the hall from me and runs them in his camaro, Grand Prix GTP Supercharged and his g/f's Grand Am GT. From what he says never has an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely cold when diesel wont start without block heater lol.

My buddy cut the cord for it. When its just a 3 prong female plug that attaches to the back of the block, why he cut it, I dunno. So Its offically Chilly, 4 attempts to get the car started. Offically cold is when she wont even start so -40

I'm a big fan of AGM batteries. We run them in everything. However, some of the reasons they are so popular is that they will sit unattended much longer, like weeks and months, they can be mounted upside down or sideways, safer in an accident, they don't leak, and withstand off-road vibration much better. Ask any Baja racer! But, any new battery, as long as you keep it charged up all the time shoud last 5 years. That is the key to long battery life, charge it back up immediately after starting the car, don't let it drain down. And trickle chargers are great!

Concerning wind chill factor, remember it only affects mammals, trying to keep warm. To a car battery, tree, pavement, snake, whatever, if the air is -10 degrees, it doesn't matter if the air is still or moving, it is still only -10 degrees! lol.

Archived