• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Battery Recommendations

autumnwalker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Any updates on the Costco batteries? My second NAPA battery is starting to sh1t the bed. It was 1-2*C here this morning and I didn't think the X was going to start. The starter was dragging when I started it to come home when it was 18*C this afternoon.

Driving 5 minutes (or less) from home to work & back is killing the battery; little opportunity to recharge :(

Any updates on the Costco batteries? My second NAPA battery is starting to sh1t the bed. It was 1-2*C here this morning and I didn't think the X was going to start. The starter was dragging when I started it to come home when it was 18*C this afternoon.

Driving 5 minutes (or less) from home to work & back is killing the battery; little opportunity to recharge :(

There are two solutions to your issue. One is a smart-*** solution!

Driving less than 5 minutes to work? Walk! Okay, sorry, that may not be an option!

You need a trickle charger to charge it once it is back home or wherever it sits for a long period of time. The current generation of chargers

are very smart, reduce sulphation, work on all types of batteries (including AGMs), etc.

Just my humble opinion!

There are two solutions to your issue. One is a smart-*** solution!

Driving less than 5 minutes to work? Walk! Okay, sorry, that may not be an option!

You need a trickle charger to charge it once it is back home or wherever it sits for a long period of time. The current generation of chargers

are very smart, reduce sulphation, work on all types of batteries (including AGMs), etc.

Just my humble opinion!

lol, I was prepared for this comment; A couple problems with that:

1) I drop my son off at the sitter on the way (it would take an hour to get there as he's 2.5 years old, and then a 10 minute walk to the office). I can walk it in ~30 minutes, but I have a large computer bag in tow (lap top, printer, all other accessories) for the days that I work from home.

2) I have a big arse hill to climb on the way back (Magazine hill steep, though 1/2 as long).

3) I frequently travel to meet with clients on short notice during the day.

4) If something happens to the kids, I'm the primary contact as my wife works nights (sleeps during the day).

5) I'm too lazy ;)

If you are getting a new battery I would stay away from the Optimas. Their quality is sucking since moving their plant from the US. There is a big thread (or 2...) on NSJC and numerous other on other forums. So bad that they have their own online guy searching the web for people badmouthing Optima, saying its the user, not the battery...

On the Costco battery... Mine is great after nearly a year.

And I second Eugene's statement of putting a trickle charger on it for a slow charge over the weekend. If it doesn't hold a charge after that, get a new one.

I've been contemplating a trickle charger, but I fear my current battery is too far gone for that to help now. This warranty replacement (1st one was gone in 20 months) is on the same timeline when I used the replacement warranty 21 months ago as of the 27th.

I've seen the reviews on the Optimas as well. Wondering what the spiral cell MotorMaster batteries are like??

As noted before I have Motomaster AGMs, aka spiral cells, and love them. They also came under their real name, Exide. One of mine is labelled Exide, the other Motomaster, both sold at CT, both with the same product number. I think Exide is in Ontario, not sure.

As for a battery being old, a lot of time it's suphation, and the new chargers say they can rejuvenate many batteries that normally would have to be replaced.

you re exactly right Eugene, alternators usually dont charge a battery very well at idle. i used to store my m3 from november until march and usually my battery would be dead. if we had a nice winter i would start it once in a while, but unless i could go for a 10-15 minutes ride, the car would not restart on its own the next time

Still have the Kirkland (Costco) battery in the H2 and it is going VERY strong. Truck sat for nearly 2 months (literally, didn't even unlock the door) and it fired right up without any sort of hesitation.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the update, and the more I look into it, it's the driving routing and not the battery that is the culprit.

Eugene has brought something I've not heard of to the forefront. Based on his input, I've been researching more info on sulfation and my driving habits mirror this situation to a T. I've borrowed a friend trickle charger and it's hooked up as I type this. The battery was showing 55% based on the gauge. I'll leave it for the next 6-8 hours on a 2AMP charge and see what happens in the next few days.

I had a similar issue on my 96 Pathy when I moved back to Truro in 2007 (from HRM); battery weakness and short commuting distances. I replaced the battery and then rust took over and that's when I bought the X (2009). The battery in the Pathy was only 2 years old at the time...

This has also helped a friend who is on his 3rd battery in 4 years! He drives a Jetta TDI and commutes less than 4 kms to work one way. After we started discussing this, I think we're going splits on a newer smart charger this weekend.

When your battery gets deeply discharged, the alternator will not give it a full charge. It more or less maintains the battery while driving. If you have the X running and disconnect the positive cable on the battery, if your alternator is good, it will keep running (at least it did on my old, not so modern vehicles...), essentially running and being powered by the alternator generating the required power.

When your battery gets deeply discharged, the alternator will not give it a full charge. It more or less maintains the battery while driving. If you have the X running and disconnect the positive cable on the battery, if your alternator is good, it will keep running (at least it did on my old, not so modern vehicles...), essentially running and being powered by the alternator generating the required power.

That doesn't work on most modern vehicle James. As soon as you disconnect a terminal from the battery, the instrument cluster lights up like a Christmas tree and the vehicles dies (non-continuous circuit = ECU shut down). At least that is the result with a 96 Pathy, 04 Corolla & 06 Xterra...I'm speaking from experience when trying the "old school" method on each of these vehicles ;)

If you pull a cable on your Heep, you'll likely have the same result.

Archived