• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Lighting 101: What do you want them for? If driving on road, bumper (lower) is best. If driving off-road, mounting them higher is preferred, but you will get the hood glare that Eugene has mentioned.

I have 3 sets added beyond OEM all on separate switches. The bumper aux fogs are awesome, but too bright for on road (like running with high beams) for oncoming traffic. The fogs on the roof are great for trail running and light up larger area than the bumper mounted fogs, but the light is a bit more disbursed. The spot beams are f'n awesome and I have them aimed ~80 feet in front of the vehicle. When all 6 are on, it's not daylight like an LED bar would have, but it's pretty fricken close.

Most people forget that when off-roading...you don't always need light to go forward as OEM reverse lights suck! The one thing I need now is aux reverse lights on a DTDP (Double Throw, Double Position) switch. Maybe you should think of adding them to the rear...just a thought.

I'll also add that the lenses are Crystal Ion so they give off a Yellow/Blue light. Yellow bulbs will accomplish the same effect & they are worth their cost when you encounter snow & heavy fog. Very little light refraction back on the driver! Last year in a severe snow fall (the only one we had) I was running the bumper aux fogs only w/ parking lights on the X.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very well put Devin. I agree, roof mounted lights have pro`s and con`s. Fog lights are designed to throw light in front of the vehicle and down low so if you mount them on your roof you will be lighting up your windshield and hood mostly. I like the point made about mounting them on the rear and I agree, OEM reverse lights may be alright for city use but suck when you have no ambient light around you, thats why I have a LED light bar for my reverse light :)

Me personally the rule of thumb I would use is below your line of sight (usually the hood) use a flood beam, anything above that use a spot beam to light things up in front and reduce glare as much as possible.

Me personally the rule of thumb I would use is below your line of sight (usually the hood) use a flood beam, anything above that use a spot beam to light things up in front and reduce glare as much as possible.

To add to that:

Floods on the roof do have their place; only after you have floods on the bumper. While the light distribution is more disbursed (dimmer) they will light up more than 60% of area compared to bumper mounted lights. They are also more "convoy" friendly ;)

I'll use the spots at night in a convoy only if Duff is in front of me cause I know how much he likes it :D

I'll be running all lights, day or night, when I'm following James....just cause he's so special! Though, he's normally behind the Exterra!

btw: There is a company finally coming out with a combo LED with floods & spots in the same light with dual switch ability; Outer flood, inner driving/spot. This is the reason I've been waiting to convert.

you know you can get serious and cost effective HP gains just from a few carefully selected stickers?

Hey, I need all the rwhp I can get! Hence all my stickers are carefully placed!

And to continue the lighting thread, which maybe James will move, here is one of my pet peeves. On older vehicles with the old sealed beam round and rectangular headlights (my truck, XJs, etc which I've owned so I can say) many folks would stick expensive lights up on the roll bar or otherwise. And never use them. Yet the lights they use every night suck big time. I always believed in swapping in proper halogen component headlights first! To get technical, European Code (EC) good quality focussed beams with separate H4 bulbs. And they are legal in Canada. Not the sucky DOT / SAE American sponsored poop! Anyone on here remember the Cibie Z beam replacements for round headlights? They would still give new JK headlights a run for their money I expect! It's not all about the amount of output, it's about the focussing of the output!

why not convert the headlights to HIDs? on my car i installed 5000k lights, and then switched to 8000k , i could light up my whole backyard at night with that. no need for extra switches and wiring. i think i would use those lights you have for the rear like the others have said, when i fabricate my metal bumpers this winter, i will add a set in the rear ince backing up in the woods does suck

The issue with conversion kits is the cut off (more importantly the lack there of). When you add most aftermarket HIDs to OEM housings you are effectively driving around with "high beams" on at all times. This goes to sar's post about focused light.

cheak kits, yes. more expensive units, no. but on my car, i have two separate beams, one that does day running light + high beam and the other one is for low beam. on my truck i will retrofit DS2 style HID that came on lexus and higher end toyota cars and other brands as well. more expensive but fits better and its an OEM design.

HID and LED lights suck... In snow and fog.

Snow builds up in them in the snow because they produce little to no heat.

Fog and snow reflects the white or blue/white light and makes it hard to see.

That's why I brush them off :P lol I haven't had my LED's for a winter as of yet so I can't speak from experience.

Anyways today I tackled my emergency brake.....again. I could not locate the star wheel or the rubber grommet I need to pop off to adjust the brakes at the rotors (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough) but I adjusted them from under the center console and they seem to be holding.....well better anyways.

thats what i wanted, a v8 4runner, but couldnt find one in nova scotia at the time i bought my truck and wasnt ready to drive to quebec to pick one up, i drove there twice this year and really didnt want to drive there a third time

Got to ride in a Tow Truck today, wasn't allowed to play with any of the switches though. On my way to have my Crankshaft Position Sensor replaced this morning, the WK died about a mile from my house. Three minutes after being delivered to Clayt's Off-Road, she was running like a Hemi should. :)

I took a sexy photo of it.

Check out that flex ;) , lol!!

For goodness sakes don't get James started! He still doesn't realize that IFS will not compress the suspension until it needs too. He's used to a Heep that will stuff the wheel while driving over a marble. Haven't you seen all of the Heep pics of the pose & marking their territory with oil?

For real? ...or just daydreaming again ;) ?

No for real, closing on the 22nd, just moving up the street staing in Cole Harbour thats why I have been quiet on here Ive been quite busy getting things done quick closing is a lot of organizing put the house on the market last thursday, had an offer on sunday.

do you park in front of stad? i think i see your truck there once in a while, i really like your front fenders setup.

Yup but you won't see me there anymore was on my 6B's all done that now back to dockyard, thanks I didn't do the fenders bought it that way but yeah they do look good. :) one of the reasons I bought it

No for real, closing on the 22nd, just moving up the street staing in Cole Harbour thats why I have been quiet on here Ive been quite busy getting things done quick closing is a lot of organizing put the house on the market last thursday, had an offer on sunday.

Congrats on the new digs then B)! On buying AND selling as it's a tough market right now.

Archived