• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Tom is no longer daily driving the Jeep

TomWood

Yeah it is high mileage, just not for a VW diesel ;) They tend to go for 600,000+ with the right maintenance. This one had the timing belt done at 295,000km so its good until 430,000km. That is the biggest thing with them. Had it checked out by a mechanic I trust before buying as well.

Ah OK. That was my concern, as it's not a cheap job for them. Do you know if the glow plugs have been changed, and does the turbo spool up when it's supposed to? Depending on how the previous owner drove it, you might need to do a few Italian tune ups to get the crap off of the turbo veins.

We've had two VW Diesel cars, and loved them both!

Glow plugs I am unsure of, there is an engine light for the one on 4. Priced on rock auto they are 30 bucks each including shipping. Not sure how to tell if the turbo spools up properly, on the test drive nothing felt out of place. Gave er a bit as well and it was working good without smoke.

I'm not sure what Rock Auto lists, but I'd strongly recommend getting Bosch. Stick with Bosch for as much as you can for replacement parts. Also if one is gone, chances are the others could be going. If they're not throwing codes, you won't know until it starts getting cold out though.

Since you're buying it through a dealer, it should come with a brand new inspection. Saying that, I'm pretty sure they won't pass a car with the CEL on, which means they should also replace the GP.

Cel has been checked and car been gone over by a very trusted mechanic. The glow plug mentioned is a Bosch plug, and the CEL only indicates glow plug on cyl 4.

Bought through dealer as traded, we are getting the inspection put on it on Monday. It will have a new two year. With the research on the 2.0L TDI they are a quite reliable engine.

Once inspected and in our possession I will be ordering and installing the new plug.

Yeah we cant wait to have a VW again, this will be our fourth but first diesel. Everything I have read indicates we are going to love it :)

Already have a tune and front grill modification planned lol.

• 2 months later...

Saw that :) so far it only applies to the US. Nothing with Canada *Yet*. However all the UK diesels are fine and they are stricter. Don't really understand why they weren't able to pass in the US. Still love the diesel though :)

First guess is it will be a computer re-flash. So far from what's been said the ECM would only turn on the emissions controls during emissions testing.  So likely yes, the re-flash would make the car less efficient.

How will VW contact any owner that didn't purchase the car at a dealership?  Will those cars be grandfathered because they can't be tracked? 

Dig into provincial DMV ownership records?

Big lawsuits / class action suits.  Recalls.

This is big!

They're not the first ones that do that. The 08-11hyubdai accenaccent wouldn't pass emissions. They tweaked the computers so the car would pass but most of them ran like crap. They would end up having misfiring issues because the ignition coils would let go...

Archived