• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Goodyear Nordic Winter Tires

autumnwalker

We ran them (studded) on our Mazda Protege5 and they were awesome! I would buy another set in a heart beat, and that is in November when we replace the Artic Claws that are on the Corolla winter rims today.

I always stud winter tires due to local conditions, and even though I'm in Truro, roughly 100kms away from HRM, the weather & road conditions here are significantly different.

We had roughly 35k kms on our Nordics after 4 years and sold them when we bought the Corolla almost 3 years ago. They were just under 50% worn! We bought the Corolla with winters on it so I sold the Nordics on Mazda rims via kijiji. In hind sight, I should have swapped them over to the Corolla rims.

Stud vs. studless debate aside; I've been woken up at 3am on 3 occasions over the past 2 winters to pull a snow bound Corolla from the snow bank left by a plow at the end of our cul-de-sac. The 3 winters before, I didn't have to. My wife also had an accident (thread on this board somewhere) and I do honestly believe that studded tires might have made a difference (ABS would have for sure).

I had them on our 92 Civic, unstudded. Now have them on our 2011 Fit, studded.

I have been very happy with them on both cars, studded or not.

In fact, based on my seat of the pants testing the civic (unstudded) outperformed the fit (studded) in all winter driving conditions. Conditions experienced in HRM (Eastern Passage=ice) and Annapolis Valley (more snow/pack snow) I believe that had more to do with the car though. Certainly not a fair comparison for the studded vs unstudded debate.

i never ran studded tires my whole, neither anyone in my family and we have real winters back home. what you guys call snow storm is a big joke. the only advantage studs offer is the grip on ice.

i only heard good things about that tire, we're also on the market for our matrix and might pick up a set

Nokian hakka 7 studded.... That is all... Well in your case the LT2 would be a better option but yeah nokian is definitely the best winter tires out there... I bought them last year when I was still in Alberta and had to drive through very bad storms and road conditions to get to and from work sites... Excellent performance, and they have a proprietary stud design which significantly reduces wear on the studs from bare roads..

Pricey...

But effective...

Nevertheless I drove through the same storms and roads with all terrains but it sure gives you a lot more confidence... Almost too much confidence some times.

MISSION CREEP!!!

Back to Mr President's question... I would certainly recommend the tires, studded or not (will certainly perform better in certain conditions with studs) Probably not the best winter tyre on the market but I believe they represent excellant performance for the amount of money spent.

• 1 month later...

I know this is late but we bought these studded last year for the Jetta and they are rock solid. She was driving in most of the storms we had last winter with 0 issues. This was the first time we ran studded and according to the missus it will be mandatory for her winter tires going forward.

I also must say I feel better knowing she has good winters that are studded as she is driving the kids around alot. Even if the studs are only needed once the entire life of the tires they will have been worth it. Kids are not replaceable....sure you can make more but I like the current models we have. Just my 2 cents....or 5 now I guess.

Archived