• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Ledwidge Lookoff Rally - Aug 24 - Review!

sar4x4

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My winch decided not to work today ..RELAY clicks but no movement. .

I will look at it this weekend. .

:-) I'm glad you decided to test it! However, even if you don't get it working, we still want you! lol We probably won't need the winches, but we have two others if we do.

Winches usually don't work for three reasons. 1) A messed up controller. That was the problem with mine last year and it was me that had messed it up previously! 2) Not enough power, as in poor electrical connections. Easily remedied.. And 3) Seized from lack of use! And hopefully easily remedied by disassembly, cleaning, lubricating, and reassembly.

Good Luck!

Rally Sweep Vehicles - General Instructions

Aug. 2014

General Rally details can be found on the Rally website at: http://www.lookoffrally.com

On Saturday they have a car/driver viewing area at Dartmouth Crossing near the ‘Shops’ area.

You do not have to go to this session. If you go to this session you can pick up your ‘decals’.

If you pick up your decals Please only pick up your own. Do so by identifying yourself as one of the sweep vehicles. There will be organizers there, we mostly deal with Ron and Nancy Mackenzie, and if not them, James Partridge.

Yup, decals. These are BIG decals. One is a windshield banner. I suspect this decal may not be required for us, but I cannot say that for sure. It goes across the top of your windshield. It is easily removed afterwards anyway. I had to remove mine after because it was too low because I have a 15 year old banner on there!

The second decal set will be required, and it is a large decal for each of your front doors, and identifies you as a Sweep vehicle. The name ‘Sweep’ is where a car’s race number is.

The two front door decals are different, one for left and one for right, but last year no one was able to tell me which was which! And if I recall correctly, even the rally cars weren’t consistent.

Don’t worry about going on Saturday, you will have plenty of time to get your decals on Sunday and put them on. Times for Saturday are posted on the rally website. I left my decals on for several months. Well into this spring. And I was driving in Ledwidge forest behind the airport and folks thought I was a Ledwidge Lumber company vehicle! Lol Ledwidge Lumber is a big sponsor, as in donating the use of the land, I believe.

Saturday night there is Rally racing that we aren’t required for, but most importantly it is the only time the public can view cars racing. At first I thought this racing was only for show and not part of the racing for ‘points’, but the website says it is competition as well! It is held at Conrads Pit, and details are posted on the rally website. If you want to see the cars race, you need to go EARLY. Otherwise you could be still walking to a viewing location and the runs would be completed!

SUNDAY

Details and directions are also on the rally website, under Competitors->Rules/Regualtions.

Meet at 8:00 am at the

Royal Canadian Legion

# 8706, Hwy. 354

Noel, Nova Scotia

(We can probably meet at the Tims on the Beaver Bank Road and convoy from there to Noel. Maybe 7:15 departure?)

Then from the Legion we convoy down to the rally site at:

Ledwidge Lumber Property, #2434 Hwy 215, Tennecape – Airport Lane

The schedule is:

Drivers Meeting 8:00 Noel Legion

Car 0 Starts 9:00

Service/Lunch 12:30 (one hour)

Car 0 Finish 17:00 approx.

Results/Awards 18:00 back at the Noel Legion

LUNCH IS PROVIDED in the woods at the rally site. It was ‘subs / wraps’ last year and ‘soda pop’.

I think there was LOTS of water as well. There is no store really close nearby. Bring extra stuff if you need it!

At lunch time there is a bit of time to sneak down into the village…

Take-out style food and beverages (including alcoholic) are available for purchase at the Legion during the Results/Awards at the end. You do not have to stick around for this. There is lots of chatting and relaxing though!

As posted earlier in the thread we used ‘Club’ radios last year. If you have one, bring it. If not, I’m thinking bring FRS/GMRS radios if you have them. But, not to worry if you don’t. We’ll make it work!

As far as what will we actually do, drive behind the rally cars when told to do so! Clear the roads, and most importantly, no lolly gagging!

We thoroughly enjoyed it last year, I will again. You can watch rally cars start, flying finish, etc. And do our bit!

Just decals. I peeled the windshield one off within a couple weeks. I had a second windshield one, they had lots last year, and I cut it down (took off the 'Steele' sponsorship part) and put it on my side window.

The ones on the doors I didn't peel off for 7 months, and even so they peeled right off. I peeled the 4 yr old O'Regans sticker off the Nissan without any problem, and no difference in paint colour / fading, on the back tailgate. (No great direct sun there.)

ADDITION #1 to the General Instructions.

The rally cars have Tow Points clearly identified on them. Most of them seem to be the factory style screw-in hook on the front. Most of them seem to be painted red with large lettering nearby stating 'Tow Point' or similar.

And, if I recall correctly, the organizers instructed us last year that should we be required to tow someone back on to the road, the rally vehicle driver hooks up the tow cable.

If the rally vehicle is not easily attached to or any other big issues, I suggest we call in the course officials to make the big decisions!

I have a bit more info from the organizers. All crews (except Scott :glare:) please PM me your e-mail address and I will send along the info. There are a couple of attachments, one

with a brief write-up and one with maps of the three stages used this year, as opposed to the one woods road/rally/stage used last year. It will give us lots of woods road driving!

Awesome! You have my email about 100 times now. Let me know if you need it again ;)

I knew I forgot to write that in the earlier post! :oops:

They mentioned they also have included our club name in some other Rally General Instructions documents. We've become an annual part of this Rally! Maybe the national levels will be held here and we'll be on worldwide TV! lol :smiley-dance005: :smiley-transport027:

They mentioned they also have included our club name in some other Rally General Instructions documents. We've become an annual part of this Rally! Maybe the national levels will be held here and we'll be on worldwide TV! lol :smiley-dance005: :smiley-transport027:

Great work on building this relationship Eugene - it's a big boon for our club.

Ron and Nancy are great people and this is a great event. I am glad that we could be a part of this last year and I think it is fantastic that they want to partner with us. I hope this years event goes as smoothly as last year....I also hope you sweepers see a little action but no one gets hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! Tomorrow is our day! Please arrive at Noel Legion between 7:45 and 8:00 am. Directions somewhere earlier in the thread.

I will be at Sackville - Beaver Bank Road Tim Hortons at 7:00 am, eating a breakfast sandwich, and departing for Noel at 7:15, should you wish to convoy!

Archived