• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Lug nuts

derekmac

Well, I'm all out of spare lug nuts, and I imagine some of the crappy ones I have on the Jeep now will turn into rust dust soon enough. I've been looking at these type here http://www.ebay.ca/itm/140862626729?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and was wondering if anyone has tried them?

i had something similar to that on both my civics. same type of adapter for the lugnuts. mine were made by Muteki. i used them for 3 summers and they never rusted. there is no way you can strip the bolts with something like that unless you are mentally retarded or the bolts are seized to the point where you might as well just burn the truck :P

Can you still use a standard socket with them as well. If not, that special tool would be akin to locking lugnut keys ...shitty if lost :( . (Ask me how I know :P )

You hit it right on James. If you lose the keyed socket, you have to hammer on a regular socket to remove the lugs. In this case it's for every nut, not just one as in the case of keyed lugs.

I've always installed standard lugs on my vehicles as a result of having to deal with a broken key on a secured nut of-road about 15 years ago.

Derek, if the lugnuts are the same as what came with my Grand, they are a chrome cap over the nut. I bought a handfull of solid nuts and over the past year or so, have replaced each one that has started to separate. I can't remember if I got them at Peck's, CTC, or Clare Dodge but they were fairly cheap. :king:

Yep Larry, they are the crappy chrome cap over the nut ones. They look good when new, but don't last. I had a fist full of new spare ones that came with the Jeep when I bought it, but I usually lose one whenever I take the tires off.

I like the ones I posted, but I honestly didn't think about loosing the socket. I haven't lost the one for my locking lugnuts yet though. I'll probably end up just going for whatever is cheaper. Guess I really don't need anything fancy for the woods. :D

I replaced a few of mine last weekend when I rotated my tires, turned off a stud, and rounded off a couple lugs beating my rotor with a sledge trying to free it from the hub to replace the stud.

They are cheap - I literally went down and bought a handfull of them. They are the plain, "acorn" style lugs.

I replaced a few of mine last weekend when I rotated my tires, turned off a stud, and rounded off a couple lugs beating my rotor with a sledge trying to free it from the hub to replace the stud.

They are cheap - I literally went down and bought a handfull of them. They are the plain, "acorn" style lugs.

How did you break the first one? Did you forget 'Righty Tighty - Lefty Losey'?

I have no idea what the torque should be on my truck, but I know I'm not putting on 140 lb/ft! I just did a wheel bearing on a Ford Focus last night, and 173 lb/ft was waaaay more than I put on my truck. I had to use the torque wrench with a lot more leverage than my 4-way wheel wrench!

Archived