• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Rebuilding a 95 Cherokee 2 Door - SOLD AND GONE TO NEW HOME

TomWood

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries Clarence :) I know you are a busy man.

How big is this 'roof'? Will it fit in the back of my Suburban (which is really just a mega-XJ)? Maybe I can help you move it. (I don't need to know why you need help! ;-) )

It may fit in the back of the suburban, I would say its close to 7-8 feet long and about 6 feet wide at the most. It may fit in the suburban, currently its at APJ's. I appreciate the help offers :D

Hmm, my brain isn't in full gear. I have a utility trailer that fits behind my car. It will handle that easily as well. As long as it isn't over 1,500 lbs! Pick a time...........

Tomorrow afternoon would be great, or the weekend. PM me if you'd like.

Gear down there big rig. You don't have to explain yourself. The 4Runner is in the shop for an insurance claim so I can't help you there but if you need a place to store the roof I'm sure it wouldn't take up that much space in my garage? Is it flat or does it include the pillars?

Its pretty flat, comment wasn't directed at anyone just in general. I do get sick of seeing all the same smart *** responses though when people ask for help. I appreciate it Rob, might have to take you up on that, and supply some adult beverages for the storage

But I do have a solution. I'm planning on running aircraft cable from the bush guard up to the front of the roof (when off-highway only of course) to guide

the branches up and over.

I kid you not!

I too have such plans:

land-rover-land-rover--318473a.jpg

Tom I've probably had bigger and heavier things strapped to the roof of my jetta. :)

I know a person that brought a long wheel base (109) series land rover frame home form the US of A on the roof of a TDI Golf!

I wonder what the Customs people thought about that!!

Popeye:

Pic seems busted.............

So I Googled them and they're commonly called 'limb risers' and there are lots of pics! On everything from Rovers to JKs to tree skidders.....

wierd... I can see it in the post.

From this ad: http://www.cartrade.com/buy-used-cars/Chandigarh/Land-Rover/Range-Rover-109-Series-3/318473.html

I also dig the jerry can holders between the wings in front of the breakfast...

How about this camel trophy 110 from http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/G_camelTrophy.htm :

Camel%20Trophy%20110.JPEG

Expedition Land Rover talks about the importance of having your brush risers attached to spring loaded fixings to protect the mounting points from repeated stress fatigue.

Hmm! All links work now! Those look like nice expedition rigs! I always like the `ramp-bridges` mounted to the roof racks. I`ve always wanted to make them part of the

roof rack floor. Mounting springs in the cable is an excellent idea. Because the body flexes compared to the frame/bumper/grille guard, without some give something is going to break!

Hmm! All links work now! Those look like nice expedition rigs! I always like the `ramp-bridges` mounted to the roof racks. I`ve always wanted to make them part of the

roof rack floor. Mounting springs in the cable is an excellent idea. Because the body flexes compared to the frame/bumper/grille guard, without some give something is going to break!

Also known as sand ladders or bridging ladders. I would rather have then mounted to the size of the roof racks as seen on the Camel Trophy 110s above. That way you do not need to unload your roof rack to use them.

The springs are also to absorb the initial impact of the branches to help project the fixing points. Probably a little less of a concern for most of us as compared to the Camel Trophy vehicles as we are not usually in such a rush!

I guess I would just put the bridging ladders on the side when heading out on a trail, and leave them home most of the time. Funny thing is, I've got some,

they came when we bought the big trailer as ramps but we don't use them for the trailer. So, now I guess I just need to build the roof rack! Or buy Scott's H2 one!

I used to read everything I could about the Camel Trophy in my younger years, it seemed to be such a great adventure! I love the trucks!

I vote for this - I love the rack, but it won't be on my truck again anytime soon because I cannot fit in the parkade at work with it!

Hey, I used FireFox and my 'Quote' works! Scott, we'll have to make arrangements to get it. If it isn't frozen in at the moment! I can cut and modify it to fit much faster

than I can lay out a new one! Monday might be warm - PM me when a good time/day might be available.

Archived