• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Wanted (soon) : New ride :-)

Nightpath

You can talk him down to $3000, just show up look it over, and if you want it, put $3000 cash on the hood and tell him to take it or leave it. Most people when cash is flashed will take it. Also you never pay what someone is asking on kijiji, thats just not how it works lol

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would leave the YJ where it sits

I would look at this

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2000-JEEP-TJ-W0QQAdIdZ519747836

You can talk him down to $3000, just show up look it over, and if you want it, put $3000 cash on the hood and tell him to take it or leave it. Most people when cash is flashed will take it. Also you never pay what someone is asking on kijiji, thats just not how it works lol

I agree completely here. But at the same time, be prepared to walk away empty handed. I wouldn't even try "talking" him down. Just look it over, nad if YOU think it is worthwhile pull out your cash and say my offer, take it or leave it. Or you could be a dick, and start the bidding at $2500, with your final take it or leave it being $3000 :P!!

But at the same time, be prepared to walk away empty handed.

This is key, if I couldnt have gotten the Cherokee for the price I did (was a difference of 100 dollars during the discussion) I wouldve walked away, and thats the thing, always be prepared to walk away. Plus it never hurts, the worst they can say is no.

Don't forget, there is almost, I really want to say ALWAYS, some thing that needs attending to after you get it - a rule of thumb used to be $1,000 to get it on the road. But that TJ sounds like a really good deal, if it is advertized at $4,500 he should be expecting to go as low as $3,900. But you never know until you try! Good Luck! And I'm like James, if you only have a limited budget, I wouldn't low ball it at $2,500, I'd have a good long converstion and then tell him straight up what you have to offer, and no more!

My surgery date got moved up, so Thursday for a bit I'm out of commission. Going to hit up Digby way to take a look at a few rides. Haven't been down that way yet.

Found a parts supplier that isn't full of retardedness so I'm going to take a look at this. Tough as hell and since I'm not looking to go cross country I think it's spartan behavior and ruggedness would be a great match. Talked to a mechanic that works on them, said as long as the body is good most of it is old Audi Quattro and VW, cheap and easy to find. Very few parts that are hard to get :

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-ILTIS-JEEP-W0QQAdIdZ483537107

I also happened to notice a nice condition Suzuki Sidekick (might be a Sammi) down the road tucked in behind a few vehicles. Going to skulk down and knock on the door.

There's a couple of Grand Cherokee's on the side of the road, so I'm going to stop and take a look at them. In a year I'm buying a new Jeep so I have to calm my money spending lust down a tad and waste it on random other vehicles lol.

The more I save now the better I can buy later. Got a few weeks till I can get that Jeep I looked at anyways, and till I'll be mobile enough to look at them so I may as well take my time to gawk at everything.

Why not wheel an iltis?

PARTS AVAILABILITY! Not only OEM replacement, but any aftermarket support...

This. If you have deep pockets, go ahead and wheel whatever you buy, no matter how obscure. But if on a budget, this has to be a consideration. Wheeling is an expensive hobby, even with something as generic as a Jeep.

I think you be better off buy a jeep like this
novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Jeep-Liberty-Rocky-Mountain-Edition-W0QQAdIdZ519993782

I lot newer easy to get parts for little to no rust
Put a small lift and 32 inch tires and it will be great for little wheeling

or a good jeep tj

I really never considered a Liberty. Most of them are reputed gas guzzlers with the 3.7L that die like it's going out of style. I have a friend who had one back in Ontario that blew the head off it, I think Tom did here, and I helped someone in Cape Breton with one.

But I digress. I do really like them, and I do find them comfortable and snazzy looking.

How much are the lift kits for them?

Sounds like something to keep my eyes open for.

If anyone is willing to go take a 2nd look for me I'd appreciate it, I don't expect anyone to go for free, and a 2nd look may save me from losing out big, or it may be a great deal.

I dont mind taking a second look at a liberty, can tell you all the bad spots too. They are comfortable and float along on the highway, you can get a 2.5" lift for around $400 (Rough Country) but if I did it all again I would get a JBA lift (http://www.jeepinbyal.com) they have a budget 3.5" for 1400 (http://jeepinbyal.com/jeep-liberty-kj/lift-kits/tommudd-s-econo-3-5-lift-kit-kj.html) anything above that is going to be 3000 plus, you would be fine with 2.5. I did blow the motor in the Liberty, but I also had it submerged a couple of times and was in no way easy on it. They do have a known issue with valve train, the lifter/lash adjuster can be misaligned and cause the rocker to fall off. New parts fixes it (Which is what I needed to do to fix the tick). Otherwise they are a great on road daily, very comfortable and will take you where you need to go with the small lift and good tires.

I actually was down and took it for a drive. Steering felt bad hard like the power steering was bad, and a bad clunk from up front on the drivers side when a bump was hit. It felt cramped when I was sitting in it, but everything seems to work in it. It was an old DNR vehicle, paint is rough (who cares though), frame looked solid and it has good tires. Might be worth a 2nd trip down after my surgery.

Probably be taking a 2nd look into that XJ. It has some torque bind when put into 4hi and turning, the steering wheel is kind of hard to turn (actually feels like the power steering is dying quite quickly) and the rocker needs love, but at the price I'd be a retard not to seriously consider it, then plump some phat lewtz into a lift, some ghetto paint and a few more things.

Probably be taking a 2nd look into that XJ. It has some torque bind when put into 4hi and turning, the steering wheel is kind of hard to turn (actually feels like the power steering is dying quite quickly) and the rocker needs love, but at the price I'd be a retard not to seriously consider it, then plump some phat lewtz into a lift, some ghetto paint and a few more things.

Ps pumps can get beat out of em (cheapish fix) ... And rock rails, never have to do em again!! I may be bias, but highly reccomended an XJ !!!

Archived