• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Wanted (soon) : New ride :-)

Nightpath

So I found a buyer for my Eagle (actually 2), and I should be selling it in the upcoming week or 2 (yay).

Going to be keeping my eyes open for a Jeep of the Wrangler type for around $3000 or less. Doesn't have to be pretty, but I can't have it needing a lot of work.

I'm physically in a pretty bad place right now and am going into surgery in the first week of September, so it's hard for me to crawl around vehicles or drive for long distances to do so (live in Greenwood but if someone thinks they found a fabulous catch I'd make it to Cape Breton on a skateboard). I blew my gut out in 2 places with inguinal hernia and unbelical (hurts like balls) so ANY help is really appreciated.

So a 2 door Wrangler type, 4 or 6 cylinder doesn't matter (6 preferred but no real deal breaker). Probably going to paint it olive drab and black so if it looks like a bag of nutsacks it's no issue. Hard or soft top, doesn't matter long as it has at least one.

Basically looking for mechanically sound and a decent body. Few drips under it doesn't matter. I know $3000 isn't a lot to work with, but the occasional gem is out there.

Thanks guys :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be able to get a YJ for that price, will be hard pressed to find a TJ but possibly 97 or 98 model. You may also want to check out the cherokee XJ (yes I know people, I bought one now pushing on) same basic driveline setup, easy to mod as well, and great little rigs. If I see anything on my travels will send you some information.

That's a bust. Looks like the frame is ready to crack and the floor is rotted out bad. Body is crap too

Edit : Might take a look at this. Could be fun if it's in solid condition. Probably cold as balls in the winter though ;)

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-ILTIS-JEEP-W0QQAdIdZ483537107

I've pretty well made up my mind. I think I'll be looking for a 2 door Tracker (or its siblings). Easy on gas, and are capable little rigs with easy to find parts and some after market off road support.

Barring not finding one I'll probably find a 4 door to lift, or a ZJ.

If you see any around not on Kijiji let me know. Auto preferred but stick is nice as well.

I've messaged about the 1st one last night, he responded and told me that it's in pretty good shape but when it sits for a bit it puffs out a tad of black smoke, imo oil is seeping past the rings and would probably need looking at.

The 2nd one I've eyed up a snort, and the 3rd (red) is in Bridgetown and I've talked to the guy a few weeks ago. Both could potentially be solid little beasts with a lift ;)

Fourth might be a winner if I can beat him down in price a bit. Higher KM of the 4 but it is the 2 door and comes with a lift already...but the lifts can be found for way cheaper than the $800 difference between the 2 and 4 doors. Something looks off about it too but I can't seem to place it...maybe the doors don't match the fenders in color nor trim.

edit : whats the issue with the older 2.0L 4cylinders?

Looks like it might be sold anyways. The pop up quite often so it's just a waiting game I suppose. I've seen a few selling on the side of the road but have never had the cash for them, which if things go right I will really soon. Then I hunt :)

I'll be saying goodbye to my beloved Eagle on Monday. Never knew I'd be sad but I am...almost want to say no to the sale, but I know it's going to a good home and to people that will love it just as much as I do.

I'll have to wash away the tears on some back trails when I grab a new ride. Going to be looking at a Jeep Cherokee I think, as well as a few Trackers and hopefully someone in Truro can take a look at a TJ for me.

If the TJ is worth it that's first on my list, if not then it'll be a toss up between some Trackers and the Cherokee.

If anyone sees any sub-$3000 vehicles out there worth taking a gander at, or have looked at, let me know! Getting surgery on Friday, so I would like to have something before then :)

May have found my Jeep, hopefully if all goes well I'm taking a look tomorrow.

1995 Jeep YJ, body/frame no or minimal rust, low KM on it and within my price range. The leaf springs up front don't impress me much, but it does have the inline 6 in it and is standard. I can always do a SoA down the road. And it has a 1" body lift.

Crossing my fingers :)

OK. Got a look at a few Keeps today. 2 that I liked but I think 1 might end up being problematic.

I'm leaning towards a 1995 YJ with 188k on it. inline 6 with 5 speed standard, shifts clean and appears to have no clutch issues. Drivetrain underneath has no serious leaks too. Looks like a dogs breakfast cosmetically but that's fixeable. Frame has no scale, just surface rust and the paint/coating is coming off so it'll need sanding and repainting. Body work is all done too, with a 1" body lift done. Seems to run fine. I checked everywhere for rot...nothing that can be seen or hasn't been fixed.

Best part? Beat him from a high price to $2600, and will have a fresh safety when I go to get it. Does need leaf love and new shocks IMO

Archived