• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

project; Simple

Guest liltoy

glad to be back on the site agian been a ruff few months with any luck here in a week or so the old girl is going in the shop for that new door and a paint job then she should be ready for the trail so hopefully soon back on the trail got check the front end out i think i broke something or at least losened something up on that run where i did the body work to the door so have to check that all stuff but as long as it is nothing major the rest is pretty simple i hope LOL

and the truck looks like it is coming along good there tim

A little punctuation goes a long way.... B)

Just sayin'.... :welcome2:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would try to flex it out with it hooked up, then un-hook it and try flexing again. If you get a big difference that you like tie it up and try driving with out it and see what you think of the handling. You may find you don't need it unless you're trying to set lap times around the round-about.

You have not been off-road until you've had a HUMMER in the woods.

OK so i"ve been offroad then. But never been in a GM product in the woods

I would try to flex it out with it hooked up, then un-hook it and try flexing again. If you get a big difference that you like tie it up and try driving with out it and see what you think of the handling. You may find you don't need it unless you're trying to set lap times around the round-about.

I'm thinking about removing my rear sway bar. Planning on putting disconnects up front too. Took both front and rear out of my old 4Runner out west (broke the front links changing cv driveshafts & couldn't get find new ones :twak: ). Never really noticed a difference, till doing 80-90 km/h on the gravel roads. A little getting used to on road/gravel, but what a difference with the IFS front and coil Rear when offroad.

OK so i"ve been offroad then. But never been in a GM product in the woods

I see what you did there :arms:. I'm glad my humor is not lost on everyone.

I'm thinking about removing my rear sway bar. Planning on putting disconnects up front too. Took both front and rear out of my old 4Runner out west (broke the front links changing cv driveshafts & couldn't get find new ones :twak: ). Never really noticed a difference, till doing 80-90 km/h on the gravel roads. A little getting used to on road/gravel, but what a difference with the IFS front and coil Rear when offroad.

You noticed a difference having the front / rear swaybars disconnected on an IFS rig? There is a boatload of debate in the H3 circles about disconnecting the front swaybar, but seems like disconnecting the rear has positive results.

Finally got a start on the rockers, rust decided the path I took. Still have a couple welds to finish. hack off the body mounts to plate and add a flat bar for the door seal. Biggest thing I accomplished, every thing else was lil things for other stuff. Hoping to get a good start on the pass tomorrow.

post-173-1297938472_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297938579_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297938796_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297938964_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So another trip to steel yard left me $33 lighter and another 24' of 2x4" tubing in the box of red truck. Rock/tree rails here we go.

Tacked in with temp brackets to get measurements to frame. Going down 1/4" and in 1/4-1/2" but I'm still right at the original pinch weld hieght.

They are for rocks and more so trees(skinny trails) which is why they hang out as far as they do. When the tires come out with a little offset they should look more at home.

Still have to make the frame mount plates and add some vertical bracing to the frame end. Might also add some Side gussets to the arms. Thinking that they might be bolt on still not sure, would like them to be but in the interest of "simple" I might just weld them on. Started to make a test bracket and called it go in and warm up time, -10* in the tractor shed.

post-173-1299200419_thumb.jpg

post-173-1299200606_thumb.jpg

post-173-1299201037_thumb.jpg

post-173-1299201101_thumb.jpg

post-173-1299201232_thumb.jpg

post-173-1299201424_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finnaly dug Simple out to get some work done to it. Got most of the cab body work done, wasn't much just a couple floor patches. I'm sure I'll one or two more. And then finally got my rails/steps/tree bumpers on. Took a bit longer than I would have liked, welder was acting up bad, ok so it was the ext cord that was screwing up I figured out later.

Some of the booger welds are cords fault most are my fault. :unsure:

post-173-1307039449_thumb.jpg

post-173-1307039482_thumb.jpg

post-173-1307039515_thumb.jpg

post-173-1307039563_thumb.jpg

No where near ready for this weekend, and I work all weekend this weekend.

Right now my plan is to have it ready for atleast one test run before the poker run.

Cool, it will be good to see all your hard work in action when it's ready. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Got the leafs all changed around again, might have to make a drivers side shim but springs are done. Fixed up the pinion angle while working on springs.

Had a couple shifter bushing beat out and dealer can't get em so........lets sleeeve em. Shifter worked ALOT better now, still have to make a minor linkage adjustment as can't get 1st.

Got all my lights working, that was not so much fun.

Wanted to change front shock mounts as I have excess shaft on compression and not enough on droop. Will change when have longer shocks 9" isn't gonna be enough, but for now SIMPLE!

Rear shock mounts are in the planning stages, got me an idea, got 12"s of travel atleast in the rear.

And the the other afternoon I went out and made some Holly steps.

post-173-1308178906_thumb.jpg

post-173-1308178960_thumb.jpg

post-173-1308178992_thumb.jpg

post-173-1308179020_thumb.jpg

post-173-1308179061_thumb.jpg

post-173-1308179119_thumb.jpg

post-173-1308179158_thumb.jpg

post-173-1308179202_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna run the short shocks up front for now. Keeping it Simple and they were hooked up in the flex test pics so get decent flex. Right now the DS and drag link stay together, so when do cross over I'll go for 12" in the front and upgrade the rear to 14"+. Might need to pick up one 12" though, kinda bent one :smiley-transport027:

Archived