• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

project; Simple

Guest liltoy

Well let me introduce Simple, an 88 3/4 hightly molested with I'm guessing some seriously repressed memories. I never name my vehicles but with 3 dodges (hey, they were the best deals at the time), two of them being trucks this one got a name. Simple after the build it's gonna get, just going to be a simple 4x4 play toy to get me back in the woods. Plan is, do a few packs of home made leaves, shackle flip in rear longer shackles up front, ditch the BL, toss some "blocks", fender trim, bumpers and rails/steps, get it all legal and wheel it. I'll slowly mod it up over time but for now, Simple.

post-173-1290079673_thumb.jpg

post-173-1290079897_thumb.jpg

post-173-1290080012_thumb.jpg

post-173-1290080065_thumb.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's a good old tried and true 318, slight valve tick but starts and idles beautifully. Someday that may change be it to a diesel or a BB I don't know, what ever I find a smoking deal on at the time. Until I swap out the 44 in the front the tired old 318 will do. The 44 and the 203tc are my two areas of concern for hard abuse.

Did ya click on the pics? I did and I can count the thread on the U bolts lol.

And those multiple blocks in the back! Holey Schmoley! Just waiting to twist outta there under some good torque! Do'er up like you plan!

Told ya it was molested. I should have gotten pics of the 2x4's stacked 2 high as a BL on the box.

I can jump on the bumpers and the poor thing hardly moves, got the flex of a buldozer.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got an afternoon off that I didn't have to work on either of the DD's so I figured out my "new" leaf springs. Still have to do some beveling, shorten the overloads, add some rubber strips between leafs, replace some bushings and add new center bolts but think I have the set up I want. Started the day with 2 52" chev packs, 2 56" explorer packs and 4 44" yj packs (only used 2).

This is the end result. I was thinking originally I would drop in hieght a few inches, turns out I'll only drop the hieght the springs sag with the trucks wieght on them. I got the fronts to drop an inch with my 195lbs on them so I figure atleast 3" of drop. Minus the 3" of BL lift coming out add 2" (hieght) for tires and I should end up around 4" lower than she sits now with no rear blocks.

post-173-1291849398_thumb.jpg

I have a word in my head I never thought I'd use, limit strap (ok two words). Think until I do cross over steering, which probably won't be until I do a 60 swap, I'll need to limit the droop on drivers side. That is if I want to keep my drag link attatched on both ends. Hoping to put the front supension in next tues, if things go right maybe do the rear on wednesday.

Got a to do list to do before that though, still need to finish springs (no time), pick up u bolts, bracket bolts, change a couple bushings (picked up), "fix" a couple bushings (install new sleeve), pick up center bolts (in the am), pick up two shackle bolts did the math wrong in my head today at trans world.

• 3 weeks later...

Slow one day a week if I'm lucky progress as the truck is out the folks. Just as slow to update.

Two weeks ago Guy and I ripped out the front supension, only had a couple small tough spots. Then the following week I got the front springs in. We moved the front hanger ahead on the frame for the longer leaves. We got lucky and the hanger bolt pattern matched the bumper bolt pattern so it bolted right is. After of course we had to break the rivets off the hanger and Guy re-welded them together, poor old truck seen some abuse.

The springs sit almost flat, kinda like I was hoping. Simple dropped 2.5" but may drop a bit more after I cycle the suspension a couple times, add a bumper and rock rails/steps. Moved the axle ahead a lil over and inch. Definitly going to flex like I want, soft set up may even end up adding another thick leaf to stiffen it up ever so slightly. But for now sitting it looks good with decent shackle angle. Still have to trim u bolts and center bolts but waiting to see if there are any imediate changes that need be done. Will have to lenthen front DS as well.

post-173-1293399300_thumb.jpg

post-173-1293399375_thumb.jpg

post-173-1293399494_thumb.jpg

I also bought Simple an Xmas present. Just not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. First thought is reciever mount set up so i can run it front or rear, but should be in around 100lbs and not sure I wanna lug that in the mud. I don't like the idea of front mounting because A- I don't want the over hang, B- if I get stuck I don't want to go deeper in the hole that stuck me I want to go back the way I came where I wasn't stuck. Rear mount would work but if there's somewhere I need to get through or over won't help.

Ideally I'd have one front and rear.

Bought this from Darren (used to have white heep now has black one), 9000lb Warren magnum.

Tim,in my experience a front mounted winch is the most practical.Sometimes you just need that little extra to get where you want to go and when your wheeling with a group backing out isn't always as easy.

:smiley-signs064: This and hopefully you will have someone there to pull you backwards if you can't go forward.

I also agree with your thinking Andy, but 9 times out of 10 if I'm in a hole I'll need to back out it will be an off the trail hole. Most times there will be one or two waiting to see if I make it and the rest watching from the safe area, at least from past experiences. Definitly not afraid to get a tug out either, more concerned for the times a tug isn't posible. I've been known to stroll off road by myself and get stuck, previously thanked my come alongs a few times and made the odd help me I'm stupid call.

I'm so torn on the idea I'm considering a no namer winch so I can have one on either end. I already have one for the box but it's only a 1,500lb one for hauling up my spare, yup getting that lazy.

Long weekend (story) short. rear springs are in, but need changing. 1 YJ leaf comin out and 2 dodge(?) going in, sit as low as I wanted it to but box isn't on. No pokin fun of the temp Ubolt plates, some dummy forgot to pick up some plate. The washer on the string was just touching the rear rib on the diff with old springs, got the axle ahead almost two inches. Got 3" of drop (s***ty measuring job in pick, was hangin over frame holdin both camere and tape) I was hoping for but didn't expect it with out full wieght, no biggie it's all part of trial and error buildin.

post-173-1294051638_thumb.jpg

post-173-1294051735_thumb.jpg

post-173-1294051780_thumb.jpg

post-173-1294051816_thumb.jpg

post-173-1294051860_thumb.jpg

post-173-1294051999_thumb.jpg

post-173-1294052067_thumb.jpg

Be a mental desease moment if it don't flex when I'm done. :smiley-transport027:

Oh forgot to detail the winch picture.

bottom - Bada 1,500# el cheapo crappy tire thing for liftin spare in box. Box mount.

Middle- the warn magnum 8,000# mentioned earlier. Front mount.

top- ramsey 9,000#(told) but looks bigger. It needs some work but for the price I took it. I've read these are slooooooo ooooow winches but sturdy. Rear mount.

Hard to see the ramsey in the pic but i see the controller , i have a ramsey winch 8000lb in my building ,same controller . Mine is an older one too that is a magnet motor ,told they are slow also . the magnets went to hell because it was left to freeze with water in it .... can't find parts :smiley-transport027:

I would love to get a motor for it ....sometime ... lol

What i was going to say ,the older Ramsey winches i found out used the same gearbox for the 4500lb right up to the 9000 or 9500 lb winches , just the motor's were different . found it on Ramsey website after digging for a while to find my style and part # . Closest place o could find for parts was a Quebec dealer which was no answer on the phone ,

e-mailed the company ..nothing back . bought a 9000lb tabor . parts in Halifax

If you know where i can find a motor or you may want to buy a gearbox,controller and solenoids . lol

Did ya try taking it to an electrical place like rand or diesel electric? They may be able to rebuild it, or find a suitable replacement motor.

I'm told this one works but needs new selenoids and should have a cleaning before it's fired up. I didn't realize how big it was until I put the warn in front of it.

If not what would you want for yours? I do need the selenoids :smiley-transport027:

Archived