• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

project; Simple

Guest liltoy

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So glad the front bumper is done, for a simple bumper it took a whole lot of thinkin. Pics show it tacked together, Guy finish welded the main structure tonight for me. He's a much better welder and used Andrew's 220 mig which is far superior than my mig pak 10. Thanks again. I forgot to get pics though.

pics 1&2 bumper tacked up, not pretty but should be sturdy.

pic 3, ever have a hard time getting your nuts to stay in place? Foam ear plugs work great.

pic 4&5, Body lift out. Think 4 out of 6 were made out of.............can you believe........exhaust tubing?!

Got booted out of the garage so why not try a bigger bank now that there is a few. Definitly need to make up some bump stops, though may add a leaf or two to compensate for the bumper. Have to do something about the full flex frame flex :bravo:

post-173-1295601803_thumb.jpg

post-173-1295601870_thumb.jpg

post-173-1295601961_thumb.jpg

post-173-1295602010_thumb.jpg

post-173-1295602101_thumb.jpg

post-173-1295602284_thumb.jpg

post-173-1295602355_thumb.jpg

post-173-1295602434_thumb.jpg

No target date set, planned or worried about. Got a decent list of mods and repairs to make yet. Then I can start on the mechanical check list, fluids, tune up, vacum lines etc. A couple things will be put off as the whole idea of simple Simple was startin to get strayed from, have to keep rein myself in and saying "think simple stupid". Things like the rear winch will be put off for now, mostly because the winch isn't ready to bolt in and it's something I can do after truck is up and running. Alot of the mods could but some I will never do if I don't do em now.

Glad ya's like the bumper, hurt my brain making it.

Yeah decent flex was a part of the plan, not going for RTI scores or rock crawlin (yet- "think simple stupid") but want a good trail truck that that'll climb over some crap.

Things should pick up in pace now that there is alot less thinking and math to be done. Though none of the up comming things will be as big of changes as those gone by.

Thanks. That was the plan before I even went to look at, changes must be made if I buy this thing. Luckily they must not have done the BS work too too long ago because 98% of the bolts are breakin loose easily. Hell even the spring bushing bolts pushed right out by hand. :bravo: I think she want's to be fixed.

Not an overly productive trip out this week, was too freakiin cold -14 and stuff on tues. Add in I was working on a slab of ice. But got the fenders trimmed up, still have to finish the ends but was waiting on bumpers and rockers to be installed and flex test for rubbage.

Bumper not bolted so sitting crooked.

Then at 8 last night I broke out the big gurl shoes for her, been dieing to put them on since I bought the truck. Yup I know two are backwards :cool-photos: all a part of the plan. May have to get some wheel spacers(or diff offset) as the drivers front rubs the drag link when turning right and the rears will rub inner fender when tucked in.

Today's weather sucked for out door working so what to do!? Well flex it out a bit and terrorize the neighbor hood. Definitly going to have to stiffen it up fame and body flex wise. If Flexed with door closed, you weren't opening it I might just trim the fenders for now teehee

Will have to do a final tune on the suspension after all is said and done. Front bumper dropped the front an inch, rear is going up close to an inch for pinion angle adjustment. The raise in the front will help a lil with my right turn rubbage as well.

post-173-1296193838_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194102_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194187_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194241_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194301_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194380_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194544_thumb.jpg

Poor front never makes in the first post. Dad thought it'd be good if he got in pic for scale.

Last night after lunch/supper (8:30) I went out to the garage to putter on the ramsey winch. Lukcily someone never ceased the bolts and it came apart easily. One of the terminals on the motor broke off (the last one of course) but that's ok I'm taking the motor over to the boys at Rand to give it and the selenoids a once over. The box they had it in won't be used by me, it was full of dirt and junk, thats on a street/plow truck. Imagine the crap I'd have jammed in there.

post-173-1296194803_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194853_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296194909_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296195234_thumb.jpg

post-173-1296195267_thumb.jpg

You trying to make me blush? it worked :)

Trying man I'm trying. Still learning as I go. Picked up some tricks, do's and don'ts with the last one (first build) and finding a few new ones this time around. Of course I picked up a few more from you and Clare over the years. Definitly a few no no's and safety violations. :D

Now me giving you the truck isn't safe for either of us. I can hear the lil lady "You put all that money and work in to Simple to end up giving it away?!" You're used to (F) Old Retired Dodge parts, could ya handle an assembled not yet retired one? lol

:blink: NOW THATS A DIG IF I'VE EVER READ ONE!!!!!! :bravo: :D

Ohhh i can handle it just like this one

MyPowerWagon.jpg

PowerWagon009.jpg

No worries Tim , i can handle it because i help make those f'n old recondition Dodge parts....... into For off road driving parts .

:blink:

Think your south shore learning got your readin all mixed up. The box said Fu<ked Off Road Driving parts.

:lol:

That power wagon is a niceclean/straight truck, be a sin if I got my hands on it.

:bravo: NOW THATS A DIG IF I'VE EVER READ ONE!!!!!! :D B)

What you own again? OH right the f word to. You know they found the problem with them? they circled it on the grill.

For those who don't know I am not brand loyal whatever is for the right price when I'm looking. Just havin fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright enough jokin, time for me to actually start doing some work again.

Went out to the shop a few days this week (would think be all week as I'm not working) to get some stuff done. Got slowed down by plowing snow for dad and the freezing cold didn't help.

SO;

p1 the start of a simple bumper.

p2 startin to think less simple. Wanted something different.... think simple stupid came to mind.

p3 tapered to simple standards.

p4 adding some not so simple pieces

p5 final fitment after adding an inch to the orig plan, Some dummy measured off the bottom of the body forgeting he was cuttin the body higher. Bad for that stupidity.

p6 If were to re-do it I would move the corner to match the body. I'm not so, it is what it is. Bumper still needs some bracing to tie sides in better, have d rings to go on, and need to make mounting points. Then I can worry about makin a hole for the winch cable.

I decided to do a lil lookie loo in my rocker before packin it in for the day....ewwwww

And why not show the work location, no heat, one plug to use (grind, unplug, plug in welder, weld, unplug, plug in chop saw, cut ......) but it's out of the wind for the most part and not snowing on my head.

post-173-1297551288_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297551335_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297551463_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297551527_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297551673_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297551841_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297552035_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297552263_thumb.jpg

post-173-1297552300_thumb.jpg

glad to be back on the site agian been a ruff few months with any luck here in a week or so the old girl is going in the shop for that new door and a paint job then she should be ready for the trail so hopefully soon back on the trail got check the front end out i think i broke something or at least losened something up on that run where i did the body work to the door so have to check that all stuff but as long as it is nothing major the rest is pretty simple i hope LOL

and the truck looks like it is coming along good there tim

Archived