• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Trail Safety Reminder

SQRLPWR

On out last run we had our usual fill of fun in the mud, including a few recoveries - it was a great day!

Unfortunately, we caught 2 separate attempts at hooking a recovery strap to a tow ball, similar to the one shown below.

img45041.jpg

What's worse is the 'puller' who had a shackle, didn't have a clue what he was being hooked on to, nor did he understand the dangers he and his 3 passengers were facing.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that our sport is inherently hazardous, and this is one of the most dangerous mistakes made by new comers to the sport. "hell I have seen people who have been off-roading for years hook on to a ball...." -Jeff Hiltz

People have been killed when the ball breaks off and the elastic recovery strap hurls the ball back at the recovery vehicle at hundreds of miles per hour, killing or seriously injuring it's occupants.

The same goes for winch cables; I'm noticing more and more brave folks not keeping a respectable distance from winch cables under tension.

For everyone's sake, please use the correct gear and stay vigilant when undertaking all of our activities.

If you're not sure, there's always somebody to ask!

I was going to make a new post for this but it is related.

A freind of mine gave me a 50 foot long 1" (I think) diameter, and is the double braided type. It seems like a very nice rope, and was once used on some boat winch. One end has a shackle, hook, and a thimble. There is no knot but a metal clamp on that end holding it all together. I don't like the idea of any metal parts on a rope, but I am told you can't pull on a knotted rope or it will break.

Opinions?

13 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

People doing recoveries with chains scare the bjesus outta me...

Depends on how you use the chain, I carry a few transport grade tail chains for doing recoveries such as roll overs and upside down rigs or some different types of rigging chains are useful. But I never hook a chain between 2 vehicles unless second vehicle is used as an anchor.

1 minute ago, dereku said:

I was going to make a new post for this but it is related.

A freind of mine gave me a 50 foot long 1" (I think) diameter, and is the double braided type. It seems like a very nice rope, and was once used on some boat winch. One end has a shackle, hook, and a thimble. There is no knot but a metal clamp on that end holding it all together. I don't like the idea of any metal parts on a rope, but I am told you can't pull on a knotted rope or it will break.

Opinions?

Knotted ropes, straps and chains all bill break at the knot. With ropes and straps it pulls so tight and unnaturally bents the rope and strap fibers into a kink. Same as chain , a not will angle the likks unnaturally and the pull won't be square on the link. Best way to loop an end of rope is to braid it back into itself, 

I've watched a couple videsos on youtube about braiding them, but this type of rope looks the hardest. The 3 strand style I think I could have wrapped my head around. However it would be free to try. I may give it a shot.

Are recovery ropes like ASR and Bubba just woven together, or are the stitched or held together in any other way?

I know you ment the other Matt but I'll jump in anyway.   

You are right Regular rope is no good for recovery due to lack of stretching.  So I'm really hoping he's talking about a Bubba rope style.  

Also I may be wrong but the Bubba rope type are just woven together no glue or anything else.  

As for knots there is 1 knot I was taught back in BMQ that didn't weaken a rope. I can't remember for the life of me the name or how is tied. Lol

And for splicing the rope back into itself.  YouTube should have a bunch of videos. Practice a few times first and go from there.  You can always untie it if you don't like it.  

I've been meaning to practice splicing synthetic line together, in the event that a winch snaps you can splice it back together to get out.   (I'd still replace it but at least it'll get me through that day)

There is another thread about Tow versus Recovery versus Snatch (Kinetic) and even chain.  Is a Recovery a slight pull up a slight grade or a full-on pedal to the medal elastic strap pull from deep mud?  Often the terms get intermixed............  I think it's about context.  It's mainly about speed.

A slow steady pull, without either vehicle catching and losing and catching traction again that can create tremendous momentary loads, can be accomplished with non-elastic rope and even with chain.

IMHO

1 hour ago, jay said:

Thanks Matt :)

I would say rule of thumb...use a recovery strap for recoveries, they come up on sale at Princess Auto.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-in-x-20-ft-27-000-lb-recovery-strap/A-p8021026e

That strap has a description of what it is intended for, pulling a stuck vehicle with it's elastic properties, and stated NOT for lifting or towing.  Good stuff!

2 hours ago, 82Yota said:

Wow, nice... I remember a post years back on 4wheeler.ca where 2 kids were yanking something out with their cherokee and a chain... carnage man. Took out the back AND front windows

Look in the "trail safety" section for a thread called "recovery gone wrong" you will see a video of why you don't use a hitch pin on it's own to pull someone out too...

Haha its actually kind of funny. Thats just production drama salting tv shows to make them look insane.

A friend of mine flipped his toyota down an embankment in a snow storm just outside of saskatoon and caved the whole truck in and just banged out the roof, straightened out the wind screen frame and drove it home. Without side or back windows haha, just plastic

• 2 weeks later...

I latched on to an ATV mired seat deep in the mud last summer. Used my recovery strap wound around what appeared to be a bull bar on the back of his bike. Well, turns out that bull bar was mounted with 4 small bolts.

I gave him only the very slightest of bumps, and that bull bar came off the back of his bike like a missile, right at my windshield/face. Only thing that saved me is his mounting bracket hooked the lip of my hood and grill as it was coming over. Hit with enough force to push the plastic of my grill out the mounting hole in the bracket on his bar. That was from a tug at about 5kmph.

Some might have seen the pics of that gong show of a recovery.

Point being, **** becomes a deadly missile at very very low power.

Archived