• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

98 runner

simon

No pics yet bit I picked up another 4 runner. 98 2.7 auto with elcocker. It has a bad transmission, setting on two good ones, and the elocker is toast, manual engage simple fix lol. Have some strut and coil spacers and some 285s, this ones going on the road , cant wait to get on another club run!

• 5 months later...

Lol no its not, she wouldn't let me wheel hers so I had to get another one.  My grooved out 285s are useless in the snow lol, the 32" km2s are like new. And it's only a 4 banger so best of both worlds I guess 

• 2 months later...

Upgraded to a tundra coils, a bit more lift. Added a winch and a lightbar. Next step is  slightly taller/stiffer rear coils. Also scored 456 rear pot and front housing.  Going to try "fozzy locking" the ifs front. Will check back with results

20160417_093921.jpg

22 hours ago, Powerram said:

What is "Fozzy Lock"?? Never heard that term before. 

My understanding of it is filling the spider gear teeth with weld like in the pic here...

IMG_0112.jpg

Like this allows a quarter turn of the wheels before the two turn together. A bit more Street and parking lot friendly...

Link:

Fozzy welding gears

1 hour ago, Eastcoastcam said:

My understanding of it is filling the spider gear teeth with weld like in the pic here...

IMG_0112.jpg

Like this allows a quarter turn of the wheels before the two turn together. A bit more Street and parking lot friendly...

Link:

Fozzy welding gears

OK, seen that done before. just never heard it called "Fozzy". 

27 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Some call it "Fuzzy",,,,,,  Kind of a locker, but not 100%.  Kind of fuzzy........  Sounds like all of the good points of a locker, none of the bad?  Or does it blow up differentials?

It's still posi once it moves the couple teeth, maybe it will work on Toyota diff, only seen that done twice, once on a Chev 10 bolt in a camaro, it didn't last long before it spit the spiders through the cover and on a Ford truck 8.8. it turned the carrier pin holes  into ovals. 

Both vehicles we put the diffss back into, i just welded the side gears right to the carrier, that way no load on the pin, it was just there to keep the axles from falling out after. It  Reduced the shock loading, the spiders want to walk up the welded teeth and when they do, it puts severe stress in the carrier to the breaking point. The toyota will probably be OK,  I won't lie, I know nothing about the strength of yota parts be it ifs or SA. IV only ever welded diff by welding side gears to the carrier. Ran welded front twice,  in a cj Jeep and a 1979 chevy. For Street driving in 4x4 I just left one hub unlocked, off roading traction was great. Now I have a auto locker in the front and a broken autolocker in the rear that is always locked in the Ford.

2 minutes ago, simon said:

My fear is busting the carrier. Only one way to find out. The rear is fully locked already. I am a huge fan of welding spiders

Although a 2.7l probably doesn't have enough power to worry lol

Archived