• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

In need of some tire education

trailwalker

Hey Guys,

So I am looking at getting some new meats for my rig. I was online looking at CDN tire and I came across a good deal on the Dura Tracs and I don't understand the difference between

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/light-truck-tires/product/0081369P/goodyear-wrangler-duratrac/0072490/

and

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/light-truck-tires/product/0081369P/goodyear-wrangler-duratrac/0072407/

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheaper tire?

Do you drive a car or a truck? lol As a Jeep I don't know! Seriously! One is a P (Passenger car) rated tire, the other is a LT (Light Truck) rated tire.

I'd have to research more to know the difference, except that if you carry unusually heavy loads and/or abuse your tires at times, the LT is the way to go.

My 'flotation' syle tires, at 37 12.5 17 or whatever size they are, are not LTs. I hope someone has a better reply!

The first ones (218 each) are built for a LT (Light truck) which is what I would suggest for the Jeep. They have a stronger sidewall strength and are a more durable tire.

The other ones as Eugene mentioned are a P rated tire. More designed for a passenger vehicle that will never see off road.

I have not run this brand tire but I know James has run a similar one and swears by them. Also if your going to be going off road at all, I would suggest spending the little bit extra and getting the LT's, and the tire warranty.

Thank you all for the info so far. I was hoping for the cheaper tire as that would let me get all 5 for almost the same price as 4 of the other.

I have not wheeled the Jeep yet(I know) , I don't have a trailer and the most that has been in it so far is me The Missus and 2 kids. So I am not sure if load will matter all that much.

for load range for tires SL has

The maximum load capacity in pounds will be listed on the tire sidewall or in tire load/inflation charts. All SL-rated tires of the same size will have the same load capacity. For example, all P235/75R15 SL tires have a maximum load capacity of 2,018 pounds.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_6642758_load-sl-truck-tire-mean_.html

that must be per tire. The Jeep Weighs just over 4000 lbs. So that should mean as long as I dont have an extra 4k in weight I should be OK....right?

for load range for tires SL has

that must be per tire. The Jeep Weighs just over 4000 lbs. So that should mean as long as I dont have an extra 4k in weight I should be OK....right?

right. And there is a safety factor built in for temporarily under-inflated tires (over heating) and over loading. You would be fine with those tires! Load Range E is for fully loaded 3/4 ton trucks with up to 85 psi per tire, and often ride like a buck board!

Yes, GET THE WARRANTY!! I've sliced completely through the sidewall of two tires, and almost through another. Duratracs only have a 2ply sidewall. While I think they are a great all around tire, I want to get something with a 3ply sidewall for my next tires.

Sweet!! With the money I save I can get the 5th tire and the warranty LOL...money well spent.

On a side note anyone interested in 5 Goodyear Wrangler SR/A with about 5 K on them or 4 Goodyear Silent Armour in pretty good shape?? CODENAME: Tirefund

Yes, GET THE WARRANTY!! I've sliced completely through the sidewall of two tires, and almost through another. Duratracs only have a 2ply sidewall. While I think they are a great all around tire, I want to get something with a 3ply sidewall for my next tires.

All P rated Duratracs are 2 ply sidewall; all LT's are 3 ply. That + an additional 2/32nds in tread depth make up the difference in the cost (and weight) when comparing the 2. Go to tirerack.com to compare (16 vs. 18 32nds)

Believe me, I've researched these tires to death and they are my go to (lost 2 Kijiji offers in the past 12 months). Now that Crappy Tire has replaced them with the Goodyear Territory line, I'll be installing a set in the fall on my 17's so I don't have to run 2 sets. MT's suck in the winter & I'm not doing that again ;)

In your case, I would go with LT's, but that's my opinion. You run a lower pressure in the tire to get the same ride as P rated, but the additional sidewall protection (mall curbs, maybe later trails ;) ) and additional tread depth will have you ahead in the end; again, my opinion.

Cory, the Duratracs are now replacing the Wrangler Territories. Are you planning to get bigger than stock sized tires? Good opportunity to go a size bigger. My Territories are LT, Load Rating C. You will be sorry if you were to get the E load rating on a light Jeep. Get the replacement warranty too... If you need to replace 1 tire it is worth it.

All P rated Duratracs are 2 ply sidewall; all LT's are 3 ply. That + an additional 2/32nds in tread depth make up the difference in the cost (and weight) when comparing the 2. Go to tirerack.com to compare (16 vs. 18 32nds)

Believe me, I've researched these tires to death and they are my go to (lost 2 Kijiji offers in the past 12 months). Now that Crappy Tire has replaced them with the Goodyear Territory line, I'll be installing a set in the fall on my 17's so I don't have to run 2 sets. MT's suck in the winter & I'm not doing that again ;)

In your case, I would go with LT's, but that's my opinion. You run a lower pressure in the tire to get the same ride as P rated, but the additional sidewall protection (mall curbs, maybe later trails ;) ) and additional tread depth will have you ahead in the end; again, my opinion.

Mine are LT, E range and they are only 2 ply for the sidewalls. Scott Duff can verify that as he looked at mine after I sliced it.

Mine are LT, E range and they are only 2 ply for the sidewalls. Scott Duff can verify that as he looked at mine after I sliced it.

Do you have an older set? The LT285/70/17 LR D's have "3 ply sidewall" molded into them. I friend with 265/60/17 LR C's have the same marking.

Do you have an older set? The LT285/70/17 LR D's have "3 ply sidewall" molded into them. I friend with 265/60/17 LR C's have the same marking.

Not sure on age as I bought them used. Some of the trucks at work have the same size, so I'll try and remember to check them on Tuesday. I honestly don't remember reading about any 3 ply Duratracs, which is something that a lot of people on different forums complained about.

Alright, I'm back with this one.

I just found out that I can get Cooper Discovery AT3 (265x70x17) or Falken WildPeak (245X75X17) for pretty much the same pricing as the Duratracs on sale at CDN Tire right now.

Anyone know about the Falken Wildpeaks? I am not familiar with this one, I have never run Cooper tires either so I am open to opinions.

thoughts anyone? Which one would you choose if they were all same pricing?

Alright, I'm back with this one.

I just found out that I can get Cooper Discovery AT3 (265x70x17) or Falken WildPeak (245X75X17) for pretty much the same pricing as the Duratracs on sale at CDN Tire right now.

Anyone know about the Falken Wildpeaks? I am not familiar with this one, I have never run Cooper tires either so I am open to opinions.

thoughts anyone? Which one would you choose if they were all same pricing?

I've done a fair amount of research before getting my new tires (bored with not much else to do :p) and have read that the Cooper's are just their version of the BFG AT's (since Cooper makes the tires for BFG and Dick Cepek.....what I've been told but the tread patterns are similiar) and they don't clear out in mud very well (something I did notice with the BFG AT's) again I've only had experience with the BFG AT's (Cooper's AT3 tread is close to the same as BFG AT)

I have heard alot of positive reviews about the Duratracs with the one concern, as mentioned above about the sidewall. I have ordered my Duratracs through CT because they were on sale and I'll give them a try. I have not heard anything about the Falken's though so I cant comment on those.

Archived