• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

project FJ-Crawler

e36m3

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gifP1080898.JPG

guess what showed up in the mail today. i should get the truck back by the end of the week and will install that next weekend :)

breather relocation kit with push lock fittings

Picked up the same sort of stuff at princess auto a few weeks ago for the Rover... just haven't gotten around to doing it yet!

i looked for that kind of stuff at PA but could not find that kind of fittings. the kit is supposed to be mounted where the jack goes iun the truck compartment but i will fab a bracket to mount it up high in the engine bay close to the firewall

• 2 weeks later...

i decided to build my own rocksliders and skid plates. in order to that, i ordered plans to fabricate my own pipe bender, here's the link :

http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm it bends up to 2" steel pipe with .120 thickness, just what i need. i will buy a mig welder pretty soon and get to work. i'll also install my breather relocation kit, was too busy enjoying the truck in the woods to take the time to do the install.

Why not build them out of square tubing? Save the cost of the bender and they'll still be functional. Spend the extra cash on a better welder (My $0.05)

Here's what I'm building someday (used wood for a prototype)

15995552_large.jpg

What they will look like as a finished product, though the outer portion is 1x2 not 2x2 as I've designed

dsc00188tt.jpg

not my cup of tea, i really dont like that design. who mentionned buying a cheap mig welder? i want something 220v and i dont plan on using fluxcore wire either. plus now i will be able to fab some stuff for other people if they ever ask for it. i also plan on putting a cage in M3 so the bender will definitely come handy and i'll be able to tackle some of the piping involved in the swap i am looking at. the bender will cost me around 400$, i can even reuse the 8 ton cylinder from my engine hoist. if i take into consideration all the money i will save from not buying stuff from Allpro offroad or Demello, i can spend a fair chunk of change on the proper tools and materials and still have some leftover.

not my cup of tea, i really dont like that design. who mentionned buying a cheap mig welder? i want something 220v and i dont plan on using fluxcore wire either. plus now i will be able to fab some stuff for other people if they ever ask for it. i also plan on putting a cage in M3 so the bender will definitely come handy and i'll be able to tackle some of the piping involved in the swap i am looking at. the bender will cost me around 400$, i can even reuse the 8 ton cylinder from my engine hoist. if i take into consideration all the money i will save from not buying stuff from Allpro offroad or Demello, i can spend a fair chunk of change on the proper tools and materials and still have some leftover.

Whoa Trigger...easy there....my design is flawless cause I made it..lol.

I never mentioned a cheap welder, just putting additional funds from the bender into a better one ;). Depending on the cage specs for your M3, just be aware that the gauge of the bender ability may not be to spec for your cause. I can tell you from personal experience (not my rides) that far too many home built cages fail at AMP!

i looked at SCCA and other association specs :P they require minimum a 1.5" x .120 DOM or 1.75 x .95 DOM. NASA requires

1.75x .120. this bender does 2" x .120 DOM. the design of the cage comes from a guy in quebec who does several dmcc cars and rally cars and will be welded by one of my friends who is a welder. i dont doubt your design wont be solid, looks pretty damn strong to me, i just really dont like the looks of it. i will be using square tubing for the legs, though, my plan is: 1/2" plate to bolt it to the frame, 2" square tubing for the legs that will be notched to fit properly the 2" round tubing ( .120 thickness ) and the outside rails will be made from 1.75" round tube ( .120 " thickness )

Specs aside, the welds are scrutinized to the n'th degree. If not by a certified welder, you are likely to fail. I saw vehicles turned away due to piping, welds, set-up, etc...and a lot of them followed plans found online. A hand full of those were certified welders, but that's going back ~ 10 years. From what I know, it's tougher today.

For me, I've never been a fan of the tube added on the outer rail, but that's just me!

thats over my budget though, it is a serious welder but i dont plan on starting a welding shop. i googled it and it goes for 3000$ US....

i m probably gonna end up buying a lincoln 220v 180 amps, use flux core for really thick stuff and and get a gas tank for up to 1/4" welds and when finish matters more.

Be sure to check Kijiji on an hourly basis. There are a lot of really good welders that get posted & sold quickly. There was a 252 that sold for $1200 or less ( they don't post the actual prices) about a month ago. 20-30 wires run through it. I believe that a NSJC member was the proud new owner.

so today i finished earlier so i decided the side steps had taking enough beatings and it was time for them to be freed of their duties. here s a pic of the carnage i did on them.

post-878-0-76719700-1384545331_thumb.jpg

post-878-0-28714600-1384545365_thumb.jpg

post-878-0-41475200-1384545450_thumb.jpg

post-878-0-98616900-1384545488_thumb.jpg

i didnt like the side steps anyway. here`s how it looks until i build the rocksliders

post-878-0-91248300-1384545595_thumb.jpg

post-878-0-12448500-1384545642_thumb.jpg

tomorrow i will install my breather relocation kit and fab a bracket to mount the breather on the firewall

hell yeah, i took them out once to straighten them and put bigger washers just so they protect the rockers but last weekend, they met their nemesis hahahaha. i ll post pics tomorrow once i m done installing the breathers, should look pretty good

Archived