• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Matt's Daily Driver Build

Brunet-Hemi

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, jay said:

Is the pump actuated/timed by the ecu...bad ecu?

No, its run and timed by the belt, it has an advance/retard solenoid that is controlled by the computer but it should still run if that's acting up.   It's doing the exact same as before, hooked up an injector outside the engine and nothing comes out of it. It is a known working injector.

Is any fuel coming out of the lines?  Are you able to check the fuel pressure?

Something's telling me that some lines used on gas vehicles don't get along well with diesel, and they can gum up.  Maybe there's not enough fuel getting through?

I don't know, I'm stumped too!! :blink:

fuel is getting to the injector, the line from the filter to the pump is clear and i can see fuel in it, plus when i crack the line open at the injector fuel does come out.     the pump I have in the tank should be enough to prime the system aswell, which it does seem like its doing.

It just doesn't make sense!! lol

You have working injectors, a working pump, and diesel is flowing.  From what I remember, the injectors won't open if the pressure isn't high enough, but since you have a known working pump, you should be getting high enough pressure....

Is the injector pump solenoid working? Try running a wire from the battery to the injector pump solenoid, then try starting it.  Actually, google that before you do, in case my thoughts are mixed up, lol.

12 minutes ago, derekmac said:

It just doesn't make sense!! lol

You have working injectors, a working pump, and diesel is flowing.  From what I remember, the injectors won't open if the pressure isn't high enough, but since you have a known working pump, you should be getting high enough pressure....

Is the injector pump solenoid working? Try running a wire from the battery to the injector pump solenoid, then try starting it.  Actually, google that before you do, in case my thoughts are mixed up, lol.

I KNOW!!!!!! it makes no sense at all!   I already ran a wire for the solenoid so it is open. I'm going to get a gauge and see how much pressure the pump is putting out. I can't think of anything else. 

got the trans re-installed with a new starter and it works good,  tried spraying some quick start  into the intake and the engine ran! ( so I now know that at least the motor is good!). removed the filter and ran the fuel straight to the pump, cracked open the lines at the injectors, fuel sprayed about a foot up out of lines while i was turning the motor over with the quick start. tightened up the lines and and tried to start it, still no fuel being injected.

didn't see the try a jug post till just now so I haven't tried that.

Turn's out the pump needs 12v keyed power to the "fuel quantity adjuster" wired that up and it fired up like it was brand new.  

The "steam" and weird noise was because I still had 1 injectior out of the engine, so that if it didn't start I could at least verify if it was getting fuel.    

The intercooler placement is due to the piping I had available and the bends that it already had from fitting in the VW.   It actually right in front of a hole through the front so it should get decent airflow.  

thank you :)

I figured you were kidding around, lol, others might of wondered what the hell was going on with it though. 

next is adapting the power steering lines together ( got done today install on weekend)

tires ( bought 4 new ones today just need them mounted and balanced )

alternator ( bought today install on weekend)

belt ( bought today install on weekend)

wheel bearing ( bought today install on weekend)

re-install driveshaft

register it (Tomorrow) 

drive it!

oh and coolant hoses, anybody know a local place that sells universal coolant hoses? like the accordion ones that you can flex any which way you need.

once its driving there's a bunch of stuff to do still too, like the speedometer and fuel guage aren't working, and some body works and,and,and............. but none of that is needed to drive it so I don't care right now. lol

one thats 1 1/2" diameter on both ends and about 36"long

and another thats 1 1/4" on one end and 1 3/4" on the other about 32"   (not sure if they make them with different ends, I can use adapters if i need too, the important size is 1 3/4") 

Archived