• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

I'm looking at a TJ Rubi

derekmac

I'm looking at an 05 Rubi with 160,000 on it.  Read below for the latest on it.

Just got back from taking the Rubi for a drive, and looking it over.

The good:
It drives great, engine sounds good, has been undercoated yearly, clutch is very strong, frame is in great shape, body is good for the most part.  Most work has been done at APJ's, and all fluids have been recently changed.

The bad:
The rust on the fenders isn't horrible, and I would like to replace with flat fenders anyways.  The windshield frame seems bad to me though.  The water pump was done not long ago, but I could smell coolant when driving, and the temp was running a bit high.  I know nothing about the 4.0's, so not sure what would cause this.

Here's the temp it's running at:
8A0B508F-ED00-42C1-A98D-40E1FB13FF0E.jpg

Here's both sides of the windshield frame:
4E906E50-6FD6-4240-81C1-C75457017A6B.jpg

42982E0A-EA9F-404E-8F62-34760A3062CC.jpg

Some underneath pics:
9702C23D-87E6-4C71-8F82-8EA3F40C130C.jpg

C66AB236-AC2F-4F73-A97A-BD18167D9078.jpg

0C711FFF-0E8F-4620-804F-5AEA12411E6B.jpg

EDCA1873-DD37-4863-88F0-A0542BF56937.jpg

71558289-7AF0-4AEF-B1DF-09A0292A8440.jpg

What do you think could be the cause of the running hot, and could it be something major enough to not consider buying it?

When I was checking the floor on the passenger side, it was wet. I checked before driving it, so didn't think to smell it. I figured it was just melted snow, which I guess it could be. They also have just recently had the fluids changed, and were told there was too much coolant in it. Also said the rad cap was replaced. 

I crawled underneath it, and poked all around the frame with a key, and checked all that I could  lying on the ground with it being -11, lol. 

I have strict instructions from from my wife not to buy a junker, lol. 

No, it really doesn't seem to be at all. The fender rust doesn't bother me as I'd likely replace them with aftermarket flat fenders. 

My my budget is $10k, so as long as I come in under that after buying it, and fixing what needs fixing, we'll be happy. 

Then in I just need to sell the Grand.... 

I asked about the temp on a couple of other sites, and here are a couple of their responses:

"100°C is 212°F, so normal operating temp should be right at or slightly to the left of the 100 mark. Your pic shows what looks to be about 105°C which works out to 221°F, a bit on the warm side but not terrible if you were flogging the hell out of it on a hot day or towing a heavy load -- which I'm guessing it's safe to say neither of which are applicable in this case. I'd echo the opinion the cooling system is in need of work."

"It is running a little hot, should run 98º centigrade +/- a degree or so. The outside temperature there is hovering around zero, l would make sure that the water pump was not replaced, because they ran it out of coolant with the result being a cracked head or?. The coolant you smell could be a leaking heater core, but could also be the result of combustion gases helping to raise the pressure in the cooling system and causing the radiator cap to release fluid into the overflow tank, thus the apparent overfilled reservoir."

Damn, it's a tough call especially when you find something you want, that may or may-not have a hidden issue.

So what's the worst case scenario on these? lets say the motor turns out to be no good, are they plentiful and within skills/budget to fix/swap out? (I know that's probably not a good start to ownership...and the potential for ear-ache is high too)

I think, but not having experienced such an issue, a head gasket leak should be quite apparent.  Take the rad cover off and start the engine.  If there is a head gasket leak I suspect you will see compression quickly forcing the coolant out!  But more readily, you should smell coolant in the exhaust, and the exhaust should be full of coolant droplets.  You know when you're driving behind a car with a bad head gasket.

Again, I've never had a cooling issue that wasn't solvable.  Flush the rad, flush the engine, flush the heater core, a working water pump. Without putting in a bigger engine and having an undersized rad, rock crawling in 110 degree F weather, what can the problem be?  There's billions and billions of cars on the road!

Have you considered checking the western provinces? With this recession in full swing A LOT of people are selling making this a buyers market and they don't use salt on the roads which means you dont get any of the junk like we have on the road down here. Also, I bet there are quite a few seat sales from westjet considering migrant oil field workers were a huge part of their business

Just a thought.

I did do a quick search, but didn't look too deeply. I will tonight to see if there's anything. The downfall would be getting it home. I don't have any vacation until April, so driving would be out, and not sure how much it would cost to ship...

I know a guy who ships his fullsize welding rig back and fourth and he said its like $2k via train.  Wouldnt want to ship it though in my opinion without seeing it first. A lot can happen between here and there. 

Its only a few days drive if you drive straight through and don't get distracted by debauchery aka Montreal 

I also don't know if I'd trust a vehicle that I don't really know on a cross Canada drive, lol. 

Yep, I know about it, but I'm firm with not going over $10k for a price, and I do really want a standard. 

I have full full intentions on getting the one I'm looking at now, so long as the bank gets us in before someone else buys it. It's in good shape, and well under budget. That means I can fix what needs fixing, and have a good rig for a good price. 

2 hours ago, derekmac said:

I did do a quick search, but didn't look too deeply. I will tonight to see if there's anything. The downfall would be getting it home. I don't have any vacation until April, so driving would be out, and not sure how much it would cost to ship...

I have some free time and am cheap ;)

Well she took it to the shop today, as she wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with it.  Turns out that the new water pump is leaking, so it's going to be replaced on Monday under warranty.  She's also said she's going to try and get them to put a new safety on it too. :) 

Yep, I imagine that was the cause (fingers crossed).  I didn't even know she was taking it to get looked at either.  It's really nice to see someone selling something that actually cares!!  I'm bummed I couldn't get it tonight, but happy in the end.  It's only a few more days I guess. :)

Archived