• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My junk pile, time to get to work

82Yota

Ok so I bought this truck 4 years ago drove it for a few months and then blew it up so its been sitting in my garage ever since. I have since swapped in a new motor and took off all the mall accessories and plan to do some ACTUAL work to it over the coming winter. It was on kijiji for trade for a while but after all the moronic replies I got about it I decided to keep it. 

Already has hi-steer and oversized chev master cylinder and lots of other mods. I am just running into problems that the previous owner(s) didnt know to address or were too lazy to do like bad knuckle bearings, ungreased birfield joints, rear pinion nut was left unstaked... etc etc

Box is off and hopefully gone for good this weekend so starting to clean up the frame, I am going to somehow get a chimney brush inside to knock all the crap loose and then make a gigantic extension to my shop-vac hose and vacuum it out

My plans are this:

Drop some of its lift

22r to 3rz-fe (back burner for now)

Flatdeck with tied in roof rack. Similar to one in the 2nd picture

Build a set of tube doors

V6 rear axle and disk brake conversion

Pillage my bumper and Warn 8274 from my other truck

Re-gear to 4.88

2011-12-05 15.20.34.jpg

Flatbed.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a lot of dirt and rust off the frame tonight but ran out of paint. Found some overlooked cancer that is worse than previously thought but nothing glass wont fix. Tomorrow I'm cutting out the rear crossmember and replacing it with with a piece of square tubing. The rear on it isnt bad, but they're pretty weak and thing 

I need to clean my garage...

20151125_190750.jpg

20151125_181043.jpg

20151125_181119.jpg

20151125_181103.jpg

For a rusty frame is mostly surface rust. The guy I got it from told me it was a southern frame and I half believe him.

It had so many awesome features but digging into it just proves they were all done half ***. So now I'm ripping into it and doing it right. Being a welder by trade helps of course

12 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

For a rusty frame is mostly surface rust. The guy I got it from told me it was a southern frame and I half believe him.

It had so many awesome features but digging into it just proves they were all done half ***. So now I'm ripping into it and doing it right. Being a welder by trade helps of course

That helps a lot!

I did a lot of research last night on rear disk brake conversions, now I know there are a lot of setups out there but the one I liked the most was the one that uses the 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado front calipers. For those who dont know, it has a spring activated emergency brake built into the caliper itself. Takes a bit of fabbing to make the ebrake work but this is the wrong hobby if you're afraid of a little work

Also, I found a decent rear caliper bracket that I am going to fab up instead of giving my money to sky or trailgear if I dont have too

$(KGrHqRHJBgE7))s8)8PBO-j(tk(bw--60_57.JPG

When swapping disc brakes on Chev 4x4 axles folks most often mention '67 Eldorado calipers with the built in E-Brake.

I have a full disc brake conversion for my 14-Bolt sitting in a large box.  '67 style calipers (but I think they're off a newish 14 bolt axle), rotors, brackets, flexible brake lines, everything.  This winter I hope to install it!

Don't forget to use flexible brake lines, calipers move!

7 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

When swapping disc brakes on Chev 4x4 axles folks most often mention '67 Eldorado calipers with the built in E-Brake.

I have a full disc brake conversion for my 14-Bolt sitting in a large box.  '67 style calipers (but I think they're off a newish 14 bolt axle), rotors, bracket, flexible brake line, everything.  This winter I hope to install it!

I was literally just on the phone with napa and they said $43 for each caliper which isnt really bad at all. I have to get back to paying normie prices again... I dont know how people do it haha

Did a bit of work tonight, cut 2 big holes in my solid frame to properly get rid of the crap thats inside it. Got about half a shop-vac out so far...

Also started my new frame end bumper/cross member. Had to stop zip cutting because it was getting late and the lady I rent my garage from might get annoyed 

20151126_185724.jpg

20151126_202158.jpg

So I am at somewhat of a crossroads here. My overall plan is to put a newer 2.7 in but keep the 22r till then. Because the exhaust is on the other side with the 2.7 I am considering actually re-mounting my gas tank and brake lines to the drivers side instead of doing a bunch of 90 bends in the pipe 

I dunno what to do

Fabbed up a shock mount bar tonight. The piece of tubing I used is 2" square tubing but its got a bit of a bow to it. I still need to drill the holes so I can make it adjustable. Forgot to take a pic of the weld on bracket I put on it. Also made sure to drill a hole so I could get a decent plug weld on it also.  

20151127_202035.jpg

Ok so, a question for all the xterra guys on here. Anyone know what gen of xterra these rotors are from? Does anyone have a old beat up one laying around that they don't want anymore? My friend and I were brainstorming tonight and he suggested these to do my disc brake conversion because they may clear the rear axle center without being machined.

96615rgs-t.jpg

Whoa I was just about to message you haha. Thats awesome man, appreciate it! Do you make it to the city often? I live in Bridgewater but I am in the city for a bit but I can make it out to Fall River if needed.

Atleast I get to work on my truck haha

I forgot that the parade was tomorow. I wanted to see the rigs this year. I will be back in bridgewater trying to stuff 4x 33"x 12.50 tires and 2 rear axles into my friends jetta to bring back to Harrietsfield. 

No real rush though. I have so much other crap to do

Archived