• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

New Recovery Unit

Powerram

Selling the Big Ford. Here is a quick teaser shot of the new rig. It will be purpose built, simple and rugged. I'm going to be combining 3 trucks to make one out of this. I have this Tahoe, a ford super duty and have secured a older suburban to make this all work. The Tahoe is slowly being consumed by vegetation. Has a LS 5.3L and a broken 4L60E , so broken it is falling off the engine. The suburban has a 350tbi, and a new 4L80E, the super duty will be giving up its axles and leaf springs.  Things just got interesting haha

IMG_20150913_130429772.jpg

IMG_20150913_130445577.jpg

Iv always built trucks, I don't want a truck anymore , and I have a ton of ideas I'm going to unleash on this build.

The suburban I picked up is past its life cycle. The body isn't too bad but the frame is falling out from under it. It sports a 5.7L TBI and a fresh 4l80E trans and manual shift t-case. All of this will be mounted into the Tahoe.

The super duty could be possibly be saved but I'm not going to. It was an awesome truck, but not needed or worth fixing. Also not worth anything to sell so it will give up the full suspension and that will go into the Tahoe.

The engine ran good when parked. Has 120,000, corrosion took out the bell housing and ultimately broke the flex plate. Not sure what I'm going to do with the 5.3 yet. Debating on leaving it in there and putting the 4l80e behind it, but not sure how engine management will like the standalone transmission controls, and I'm not a fan of drive by wire. Will know more as I get into things. 

Using the 350 from the sub, will give me two systems, engine management and then transmission controls, independant of each other with the exception of throttle position and vss.

I bought a 350 crate from gm one time for my 1992 suburban and it was 325 HP . I'm not going to bank on the 5.3 or the 5.7 . Iv got to do some research to find out what's all involved in making Tahoe run with the 4l80e and if it is going to require too much dollars to make it all compute, the 350 will go in. Very easy swap with TBI , done it a bunch of times, also, I have some go fast goodies left laying around from the last suburban build to fit the350. Time will tell, lots of potential in the LS engine. The pic is from the last suburban build, not this one lol

IMG_20140506_142748224.jpg

The front of the green one was straight but I pushed it back to allow the red ford to come by first. There were loose engines in the back of the red 3/4ton and I want them for the first load in the beat up truck with tarp and black box

Yeah, re-purpose good parts from that for the Tahoe build and scrap the rest!  Our first SAR Sub was a similar early '99 model.  Paid extra for the roof clearance light package, lol.  It had great visibility, lots of room, third row seat, great ride, gutless motor and/or because it was only 4:11.  On factory tires.  Brakes always sucked too, compared to my Sub which will put you into the windshield.

Archived