• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Jay's SAS build thread

SQRLPWR

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info, I'll get some of those :)

Seems after a google, there are others with D44s and similar upper BJ zerk issues. They blank them off and be done with it. Others have the Spicers BJs that don't have zerks.

I just noticed there is an adjusting sleeve in the upper (not cam'd), and I've not touched them...actually I didn't notice them before, but after inspection the sleeve is just fractionally lower than the edge of the knuckle, but doesn't seem to be low enough to push the zerk towards the ujoint.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/15-general-discussion-bronco-wheeling-related/147460-what-upper-ball-joint-insert.html

I believe that adjusting sleeve is for pre-load, and I've never touched them on old axles, probably seized anyway.

The ball joint possibly fits some other applications, like a 2WD, with no zerk clearance issues.  The information you found on-line matches my experiences/memory.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress....aka 2 steps forward, 1 step back

Got some low profile grease fittings so the axle shafts now miss the fitting. Thanks @Jawritch :)

That axle rust is just from the high-ish temperature and humidity we recently had!

SANY0067.thumb.JPG.41db8adad7f726f16505c

Bought some new spindle nuts as there wasn't much left of the old ones!

SANY0069.thumb.JPG.4ba6b7118e10f626d6dab

Installed 1st caliper, but was unable to install the 2nd as I've misplaced the baggie the mounting hardware was in.

SANY0072.thumb.JPG.c1cdaa7c5d74923f2ca9e

Was really wanting to get the wheels on tonight. That's what you get for running 2 projects at once!

....oh well LOL

Luckily Rockauto stock replacements, so I've place an order.

How quick do you need the rear, IV got no truck that runs at the moment , so I can't deliver the rear, but you can pick it up any time , I'm planning on having a truck within the next week or 2

Should throw a little paint on your axleshafts and ujoints if you haven't already. Makes it easy to see if the cups are walking or moving. Looking  awesome!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a minor victory tonight, and almost passed a milestone too....

The replacement brake hardware from RA came in this week - but on installing the retaining bolt, it sheared off in the carrier without much force! So after unsuccessfully trying to weld a nut on it, I ended up drilling / re-tapping the hole.

Now I need to clean out the last drops of old oil from the diff and put some fresh in.

And the milestone? well I can now get the axle rolling again; install the wheels, the radius arms, coil buckets and coils, and think about the next stage.......chopping :)

I was also thinking about the ride height today. Since I'm going spring over on the rear, I'm considering doing that now with the Nissan axle so I can get an idea of how height for the front. It'll be a bit Starsky and Hutch, but who cares LOL.

IMG_20151212_222652.jpg

8 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

I don't know much about dana axles but are those universal joins always exposed like that? 

Looks good though, I know what its like to have dead axle weight laying around haha

Oh yes, those open knuckles / U-joints are good.  The older enclosed knuckle design didn't turn as sharp for one thing.

I've had a rear axle sitting at the back of the garage for almost two years............. or is it three?  I'd have to check old picture dates!

It's just shy of three years!

More small steps...I couldn't resist throwing the tires on tonight (with the 3 nuts that I have LOL)
Everything still needs to be torqued up, but I'll do it when it's on the Xterra as it's impossible to do when free floating.
Still need to flush the diff and fit the arms, springs etc....

Weirdly, the axle looked HUGE on the axle stands, until I threw those 33's on...now it looks tiny LOL

IMG_20151213_220506.thumb.jpg.fdb22755e0

IMG_20151213_220306.thumb.jpg.4df445a44b

Looks great Jay!  That inspires me to do some more 'major' work on mine.....  Except the Suburban won't fit in my gf's garage and my brother still has a vehicle in his big garage  since last spring....  That's okay, I did what I really needed to do outside to get it back together this summer.

I've fully decided to do the TMR 14/15 Bolt shave on the new rear axle myself, not employ a machine shop, and I have room to do that if I finish tidying the garage that I started last winter!  Now I'm wondering if the shave kit will come on sale after Christmas during the Jan/Feb sales lull or I order it now!

Thanks Eugene. It's funny you should mention the garage size. Right now, the tire on the roof of the X brushes the top weather strip on the door opening. I think I'll probably need to air down with the tire off the roof to get the X out after the install LOL.

IDK how you could possibly make the 'Burb more awesome... but what is the TMR shave you talk about?

Ahhh, the shave kit.  There is lots of clearance below the ring gear in a GM 14-Bolt 1-Ton rear axle and the inside of the bottom of the differential housing.  So you chop off 2" inches and cap the bottom and net 1 3/4" clearance.  Makes it almost the same clearance as a Dana 44.  If you've seen how low my rear differential hangs you'll know I need it.  I was hitting it hard on Friday at M.U.D. when we went to get Toyota Matt.  It's not too bad going forward you can slide up over things.  But I hit it hard going in reverse, when you can't see the rocks, and Deb snapped her neck badly, I don't have head rests. Need new seats and a shave!

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=2409

I was going to farm the work out for accuracy.  I have a good diff cover.  But now that they sell a cover which acts as an excellent template AND the beautiful video they posted done by a company called Bleepin' Jeeps, I know I can do it at 'home'.  The video is 20 minutes long, with a few laughs, and some trial and error.  Like an oil soaked rag catching on fire from welding sparks.  And not removing the pinion bearings and getting metal shavings in them.

The two 'big' things I need to finish on my truck Jay are: 1) Crossover steering.  Simple bolt-on, mostly just the $.  2) The rear axle.  With the correct gear ratio, shave kit and disc brakes.  They won't be noticeable on the outside.  A few other things.  A) Bolt on the rock sliders! B) Bolt on the new F-250 front shock mounts and longer Bilstien shocks

** Not Finished **

• 1 month later...
On November 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM, jay said:

They're currently set to 39cm eye-center to eye-center - looks like they'll go longer, but I don't know by how much.

I don't think I have a use for them with my sas build.

2015-11-14 05-50-31-296.jpg

From rough country site fitment tj/xj/zj

Archived