• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

pop up camper / toy hauler

e36m3

i am playing with the idea of getting a 8 foot pop up camper next spring to modify it so i can put 31s on it : 3500 lbs axle, electric brakes, 1-2 solar panels, etc so it can be a decent off road trailer. i am also getting a quad next spring so i can build a camp on my piece of land. i would rather not buy 2 trailers to do the same job and dont want the big pop ups / toy hauler as they are too long.

so what me and my buddy Pat came up with the idea of building an exoskeleton that would be welded on the pop up's frame all the way to the roof when folded ( in steel ), then build an aluminum frame around the roof plus an aluminum sheet ( 3/16 thick ) that would sit on the lower frame to withstand to weight of a honda foreman 500 on the roof.

of course, i would remove the quad before lifting the top as the mechanism would handle the weight. i have seen people with 4-5 bikes plus AC unit on top and it worked, so am i crazy in thinking that if i reframe it, it would be possible?

those 2 trailers are exactly what i dont want though. the toy hauler is well over 20 feet long with the long tongue. the second one, i might as well sleep in my Cabella's tent as its a cheap tent they put inside the trailer. i wouldnt want to sleep in that if it pisses rain like saturday night.

i dont intend on taking a trailer like that down in the most retarded places, but it still has to follow me in a tight trail without the quad on, and just logging roads if the quad is on top.

Yeah, I doubt the trailer frame and tongue, etc would be designed to handle an extra 800(?) lbs, especially top heavy. Going to a larger axle or heavier springs on a truck doesn't increase your GVWR, which is determined also by frame, engine, front brakes, etc etc, IMHO. It might be better to build a heavy duty trailer, and then drop the camper part on it!

• 2 weeks later...

i sold my bimmer, i m just waiting for the guy to come pick it up with his enclosed trailer.

i will be buying an 8 foot pop up camper in the next couple weeks. what i will do is cut the tongue of the trailer, weld some square tubes so its longer and stronger plus weld a platform over the tongue so i can fit a honda foreman 500. i plan on getting stiffer and longer leaf springs, something of a jeep maybe, and make new mounts for them. i also plan on moving the mounts forward, around 8-10 inches, to shift the load a bit since i will always be carrying the quad with it. i will also get a 3500 lb axle with electric brakes.

i will also install a second marine battery and 1 or 2 solar panels + inverter. we will get a rack for 2 x 30 lbs propane tanks. we also plan on lifting the trailer to fit 235/75/15 BFG ATs. i will be adding a water tank to it, probably around 70 litres.

my girlfriend will be in charge of re-finishing the interior so new curtains, reupholstering the cushion and bed covers etc and we will remodel the kitchen together.

i will post pics as soon as i go get the camper

not sure yet. its either i get a hitch now, but i dont plan on towing it this year. i ll tow it with my buddy's truck. or i wait until next spring and i could fabricate a metal bumper, tire carrier and hitch in the bumper

the hitch i m getting is rated for 5000 lb, my truck is also good for up to that until i install a tranny cooler from a tacoma.

i dont see tongue weight being too much of a problem. that was part of my reasoning with moving the axle a couple inches forward. i will always be carrying the quad on it, if not i ll have a good load of wood or a ton of camping gear on there, so pretty much always a minimum of 300 lbs on the tongue

Archived