• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

WTB - - Sort of...

Guest 72LandRover88

Every few months I get the urge to change my fleet of vehicles a bit.

The vehicles currently sitting mostly in the "toy" parking section of my two vehicle driveway are the Rover, my 1986 F250 Diesel and my 1980 Kawasaki motorcycle.

Basically what I feel like I need to do every so often is off load one of the toys for something that can do the truck stuff I want but it a bit more practicle, soaks up atleast a little bit less driveway space and that may not require quite as much maintenance/repairs. The one on the chopping block would be my dirty old diesel which I have come to know very affectionately as the rattly bastard. The rattly bastard made a lot of sense in my pre-land rover life as it would do all the truck stuff I need (and a lot more truck stuff that I don't!) and also be something that will always need a bit or wrenching (fits into the hoppy catagory). However, now that I've been bitten hard by the rover bug (and the off roading bug) I have much more wrenching to do than I have the time to do.

Brings me to what I'm sort off looking at. Here is an example:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Dodge-Dakota-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ477985274QQfeaturedAdZtrue

or

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Dodge-Dakota-CLUB-CAB-SPORT-4X4-W0QQAdIdZ480736505

I like the idea of the V8 Dakota for a few reasons. Primarily because it soaks up much less driveway space as it's not quite a full size, shouldn't have any problems towing the Rover places and isn't as small as the small trucks... had a little nissan for about 6 months... didn't go well, but that's a story for another day :-) The 4 doors would be usefull when taking the puppies or the nephews on road trips.

Thoughts, opinions and facts about the truck in the ad are welcome.

Thanks for reading my latest novel.

Remember, you are talking about a Dodge here ;). They've never been known for feul efficiency.

True but I accept that. Problem is that I would not feel comfortable towing the rover with any of the other smaller trucks so that pretty well only leaves the Dakota. Should be better than 12-14mpg as long as I keep my foot out of'er!

I have heard good things about the dakota, the 4.7 is the same as my 3.7 except two more cylinders, the problem with that is my engine tick can easily occur in the 4.7 V8

Even the 5.7 Hemi's are known for the tick. So Its a common Dodge issue.

I had a 2002 quad cab dakota I loved it . It was only the v6 and was a pig on fuel but worked well as far as saving space in the drive way it was excactly the same length bumper to bumper as my suburban that I curently own

Not as much different as I would have thought but still 2' shorter and 2" narrower than my F250

I say you grab a more modern full size truck. Based on Clarence's comment, you'd not spend any more driveway space than with the Dakota anyway.

If you wanna tow, tow right!

Yes, but I am trying to find something that may be a better middle ground. Something a bit easier to drive in town (and easier for the spousal unit!). That being said, last time I got the truck shopping urge I was stuck on 1997 to 2003 F150s.... came to the conclusion that for the amount of money I want to spend I'd end up with the same maintenance and repairs or worse than what I have now.

just my 0.02c. My 2012 Ram 1500 ran a 4.7L engine. Now, for comparison sake this is not fair due to the ram being heavier, but, my fuel bill was close to 150$ every week. That said (if anyone remembers) i had what i like to think an amazing exhaust, so i dumped the throttle every time i could.

For a better perspective, the Rubicon i now drive costs maybe 60$ a week, including the mileage annihilating stop and go short drives of Saturday errands AND wheeling for a few hrs.

For a better perspective, the Rubicon i now drive costs maybe 60$ a week, including the mileage annihilating stop and go short drives of Saturday errands AND wheeling for a few hrs.

That was about my fuel bill alone for the Relay For Life Run approx., including the drive up and back to Truro :P!

But then again, who buys trucks/suvs/jeeps to save fuel? If I was going to get a Truck with the intent of towing something, I would get a larger full size with a larger V8. I wouldn't strain a 1/2 ton.

My works 4.6 E150, Just towing SR2 zodiacs was a nightmare. Then again I seen Mustang Convertible towing a speed boat before and a 06 Ford Ranger with the 4L tow a ribb.

But then again, who buys trucks/suvs/jeeps to save fuel? If I was going to get a Truck with the intent of towing something, I would get a larger full size with a larger V8. I wouldn't strain a 1/2 ton.

This all depends on what is going to be towed. A small tent trailer for example, would hardly strain a 1/2 ton truck!

Dakota and Durango used to be the same, and I've seen a LOT of Durango's with the Magnum for sale. Lose the bed, gain seating for 8-9, pretty much the same otherwise

No bed?!That sounds terrible!

I think I've moved on from the dakota idea. Seems I could have a full size V8 truck in reasonable condition for about the same amount as an equivalent dakota. Sort of on a early to mid 2000's silverado/sierra 1500 kick now!

My works 4.6 E150, Just towing SR2 zodiacs was a nightmare. Then again I seen Mustang Convertible towing a speed boat before and a 06 Ford Ranger with the 4L tow a ribb.

I had a '99 F150 with the 4.6 (should have just kept that truck looking back... hind-sight's a *****!) and I thought it was a great balance between capable tow vehicle and general daily grocery getter type driving. Most I towed was a tandem axle trailer with a 6000(ish)lb tractor on it.... certainly wasn't the type of tow job where you don't notice the load behind you but found it ok as long as I drove accordingly and didn't expect it to drive like a 3/4 ton diesel or something. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to be doing such towing with such a truck on a regular basis!

Better to have it, then not have it and need it.

Whatever you do, don't get a Ridgeline lol. I'm not allowed to make fun of them, because it towed my MK2 Jetta back from Northern NB.

Yea you can't but I can.

What an ugly truck that can't tow anything, that and it's a Honda.

Archived